The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickup Recommendations

After owning a number of Rainsongs over the years, I've found that the HDR1100N2 Hybrid best suits my needs. Now I'm thinking I'd like to have a pickup installed in mine, but I want a passive type with no controls or battery needs. Has anyone tried a K&K Pure Mini in a CF guitar? Any other pickup recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM

I have a K&K pure mini in my shorty.

Sound quality is good, but only if you have an external preamp. Otherwise it gets "woofy".
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 PM

Baggs M80, Fishman Neo D or I'm presently using a Blackstack
Old 03-19-2015, 11:33 PM

This is really a great question even though it has been asked so many times on this forum. My experience is with Fishman only- I don't love it but I don't hate it either. Doug Young has done great work answering this question and you can search him on this forum.

Bottom line is that most great sounding live tone is usually a mix of 2 signals. I would Google a ton of samples and listen with a good pair of headphones. Got a favorite player who has amazing live tone? What does he/she use? I love Andy McKee and he has K&K systems running through a DTAR Solstice.

I actually really like DTAR products but they are currently undergoing some restructuring on their products and business approach with Seymour Duncan. The DTAR Wavelength is the best piezoelectric UST I've heard.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:08 AM

I have a passive K&K mini in my L13 and it is very nice. Put a K&K Trinity Pro in a new to me wood guitar last month. Mini and Mic blended. It really is the way to go. I think the mic makes a huge difference giving it some air.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

I've been going through the same thing with my Shorty. I've used K&K in my acoustic basses in the past, but the sensitivity to top noise bothers me.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. A sound hole pickup may be a good way to go, especially if I want to keep costs down and have a totally removable "installation". So I'll do some more research based on the suggestions given here before deciding what to do. Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM

Certainly worth a try. They do have some of that "neck pickup" vibe to them but not overbearing. There is a guy in a local trio I saw a few days ago who plays a Baggs M80 in a small bodied Taylor and he sounded just fine. Played a gig last night with my CA with the Blackstack through my Benz and an EV SX300. About a foot or so behind them and had no problems with feedback even though I was running my Sansamp hot enough to get just an ever so slight break up whenever I wanted it for certain things. This was outdoors at a busy beach bar and grill---spring break!! I like the elastic, loose feel of mags. Just a good natural feel to them.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 PM

Default K&K in a CF guitar

I have a K&K Pure Mini in my Emerald T20 Baritone, and it sounds great. I use a Red-Eye preamp.

Best regards,

John

Bourgeois OM CB/HS
Collings OM1T, OM1MhVN, OM3MhVN
RainSong CH-OM-N2
Santa Cruz OM, H13

Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM

JJB Prestige #330 with RedEye Pre-amp. Play at festivals, libraries, coffee shops, farmer's markets, churches, etc. with no issues.

(BTW the boost feature on the RedEye doesn't sound good with this rig! Leave it in standard mode and the sound guys love you!)

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

To update this thread - - after I decided to have a pickup permanently installed in my Rainsong Dreadnought rather than going the soundhole pickup route, I bought a K&K Pure Mini from Shoreline Music (an AGF sponsor). I then had it installed in my HDR1100N2 at my local music store (Russo Music in Trenton, NJ). Matt, the tech at Russo, did a clean, professional job, and I'm very happy with the plugged-in sound. The pickup has plenty of output to use with my Loudbox Mini even without a pre-amp, and the sound is quite natural.

Last edited by Martz911; 06-02-2015 at 01:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber