The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Default CA guitar customer service

I posted earlier about a buzz in the saddle of my GX. Twice I sent it to Peavey to be fixed and twice it can back unrepaired. This is to advise you future buyers to beware, don't expect customer service to be any help if you have a problem. I have given up and will no longer purchase any Peavey products.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM

What's the guitar doing? Has it had set up work done on it?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijetal View Post
I posted earlier about a buzz in the saddle of my GX. Twice I sent it to Peavey to be fixed and twice it can back unrepaired. This is to advise you future buyers to beware, don't expect customer service to be any help if you have a problem. I have given up and will no longer purchase any Peavey products.
Was this a brand new guitar or one you sent back to them for service....a bit more detail.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 AM

Default guitar buzz

I bought the guitar new a year ago. I noticed a buzz later from the G string saddle area (only the G string). Initially I called CA and they suggested I tap it with a hammer on the saddle. I was not about to hit it with a hammer so I let it go. This Jan I took it back where I bought it for repair and CA recommended they send it back to them which they did. I got it back about a month later, but still not fixed. They never told me what they did to try and fix it. I called CA and they reluctantly agreed to pay for shipping back to them again. After another month, I just got it back and it still buzzes. This time they said they did a fret job. BTW it didn't buzz when fretted, only open and when holding upright. I guess if the manufacturer can't find the problem I'm stuck with a $3000 guitar that buzzes. Maybe a repair shop near my home can figure it out. Any guitar can have a fault, but if the builder can't fix it they should replace it. Just my opinion!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM

Could the buzz be from around the 14th fret?

I used to have a CA GXi (pre-Peavey) that had the a hump on the fretboard at 14th fret, which caused buzzing when played hard.

At a time that was after Peavey had acquired CA, . . . when Peavey did not accept any warranty work on pre-Peavey guitars, . . . I took the guitar to an excellent repair shop that knows what they are doing (i.e. Elderly Instruments, in Lansing, Michigan), they adjusted the frets in the 14th fret area, . . . and the buzzing was cured.

Early Peavey posted comments referenced the 14th fret hump issue, and said that Peavey's re-design would avoid that issue, . . . but perhaps your guitars still exhibited the 14th fret problem?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Default CA customer service

Thanks for the reply. I guess at this point anything is possible. It sounds to me like it's coming from the pin, but I switched pins when restringing at it still does it. It doesn't seem to do it when laying flat, just upright. Very frustrating!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Did you take it back to the dealer who sold it to you to see if they would have any better luck in dealing with Peavey?

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM

If there has been action work done on the guitar, it may also be an improperly cut slot in the nut. I guess it's possible it could be that way from the factory but mine needed lowering slightly. Has any action work been done on it?
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Default CA customer service

The only work done was at the factory. All they told me was they did a fret job. I'll take it to a guy near me when I get home. I'll be sure to post what I find.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The only work done was at the factory. All they told me was they did a fret job. I'll take it to a guy near me when I get home. I'll be sure to post what I find.
At any rate, even if you get the guitar fixed it sounds like CA has some lousy customer service, and if they don't have such lousy service it would be wise for a representative of the brand to monitor customer comments online and publicly rectify the situation (kind of like what Thalia is having to do with their capos now). Sorry you have to go through this and have every right to be peeved. At that cost they should replace the guitar and fix the one that has issues on their own dime and on their own time, plain and simple. I also understand that me agreeing with you does nothing to help you feel better about this situation.

I can't help but think that larger companies that have legal departments will strong arm customers when things don't go well. They would never do that at start up or in early years because everything still is about the customer rather than being focused on paying some kind of credit debt.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-16-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:12 AM

If its doing it with the string open and not fretted, Id take a hard look at that nut. If so, take it to the dealer and say "look here"--"fix please". If they did set up work on it, it's on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber