The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Funny thing about all of that is that the EV SxA100 has 150 watts to the woofer and 50 watts to the horn RMS and that speaker CLEARLY blew away the K8 in volume alone (never mind balance and bottom end) I "believe" all the speakers were centered on the speaker attenuator.

http://www.electro-voice.com/product.php?id=209
Hi Bob/335,

I'm not trying to put you on the spot but referencing your above statement:

Did you mean that with both the EV ZXA1 and QSC K8 speakers turned all the way up, that the EV blew away the QSC? I mean, we could be talking easily in excess of 120 dB for both speakers if the speakers were driven to max levels. Were you able to endure that kind of SPL-level? Spec-wise, the QSC delivers 127 dB Peak at 1 meter, the EV delivers 123 dB maximum SPL (no distance posted) but these are just posted company specs. I'm just curious about your audition results.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM

What I said was that I believe all speakers were at a midpoint on the speakers. All speakers were going through a passive board set flat. At the same volume on recorded music as well as a vocal mic and switching between speakers via a switching board, the SxA100 was way louder than the 8's. It sounds like you are saying that all the speakers should have been turned all the way up. I will have to revisit the store and confirm my findings. Sorry if I have been inaccurate at all. It still doesn't change the sounds that I heard. The K8 was smoother than the ZX1A and the SX100 was much more natural and balanced.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:04 PM

I would like to hear a Yorkville NX55. I have no idea where to find them locally.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I said was that I believe all speakers were at a midpoint on the speakers. All speakers were going through a passive board set flat. At the same volume on recorded music as well as a vocal mic and switching between speakers via a switching board, the SxA100 was way louder than the 8's. It sounds like you are saying that all the speakers should have been turned all the way up. I will have to revisit the store and confirm my findings. Sorry if I have been inaccurate at all. It still doesn't change the sounds that I heard. The K8 was smoother than the ZX1A and the SX100 was much more natural and balanced.
Bob,

Thanks! My bad! I should have read your post closer but I'm seven cans into a six-pack ...

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I would like to hear a Yorkville NX55. I have no idea where to find them locally.
Bob,

Here's Yorkvilles' dealer locator page. You'll usually find these products at a "Pro Sound & Light" type of operation, not the stereotypical "music" store.

http://yorkville.com/default.asp?p_id=5

I dunno Bob,,,,I think you'll have a hard time finding better than your EV SX100's.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Bob,

Here's Yorkvilles' dealer locator page. You'll usually find these products at a "Pro Sound & Light" type of operation, not the stereotypical "music" store.

I dunno Bob,,,,I think you'll have a hard time finding better than your EV SX100's.
Hi Bobby1Note,

Wow! I just found from the dealer-locator link that the two guys who used to work at my favorite music store, and left that store to start their own store, carry Yorkville products! Crazy Horse Music is only about three miles away from my house. I'll have to pop in and give a listen to the Yorkville products they've got in stock.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Bobby1Note,

Wow! I just found from the dealer-locator link that the two guys who used to work at my favorite music store, and left that store to start their own store, carry Yorkville products! Crazy Horse Music is only about three miles away from my house. I'll have to pop in and give a listen to the Yorkville products they've got in stock.

Regards,

SpruceTop

SpuceTop,

I believe Yorkvilles' main U.S. distribution point is located in Buffalo, which is close to you I presume.

You might also want to check out what the working pro's think of the Yorkville speakers. ProSoundWeb is a good place, as is the HarmonyCentral Live Sound and Production forum, however, HC's forum is just in the process of undergoing a major software changeover, and things are kind of topsy-turvy there at the moment.

Basically, Yorkvilles' reputation is built on bullet-proof reliability, and top-notch customer service and support, and very good bang-for-the-buck, especially with their subwoofers.

You'll find that the different lines (YX; NX; Elite;Unity; and TX, cater to different market segments and applications. For example, I have four Yorkville EF500pb's(Elite Series), which would be wayyyy too aggressive for a small venue/acoustic guitar scenario, but ideal for rocking a big crowd in a noisy club, or for long-throw outdoor applications.

I also have four of the NX55p's, and those are ideal for smaller clubs/ crowds of 150-250 or so, at fairly high sound-pressure levels. Top end is very smooth, and bottom-end is substantial to say the least. I generally find myself rolling off the low-frequencies with the built-in mixers' 100Hz LF roll-off button, and, I still knock off another 3dB's off the bottom-end when playing pre-recorded music through them.

I also have a pair of the Elite Series LS720p subwoofers, and the only time I really need those with the NX55p's, is for fairly high volume applications. (Dance music/hip-hop etc. or loud rock). Off loading the low frequencies to the subs, allows you to get far greater output before limiting on the NX55p's, and those LS720p subs sound superb, especially given the size and price.

The NX25p also gets great reviews, and you'll find quite a few pro-sound guys using those as floor monitors. Those can be had for peanuts too, if you shop around. Seems to me there's a Yorkville dealer in NYC named ProAudioStar who sells those for around $400. or thereabouts. Those won't have the pronounced bottom-end of the NX55p's however.

When auditioning the NX55p's, you can try different EQ'ing to get the sound you prefer. Some guys I know, will boost the mid-range between 1kHz-4kHz by 3dB or so, to match the "flat" setting of the bottom-end. Personally, I prefer a different approach,,,, As I stated above, I'll engage the 100Hz low-frequency roll-off filter on the NX55ps' mixer, and knock off another 3dB off the bottom-end, using the speakers' built-in EQ knobs. This approach allows for greater overall volume before going into limit-protection. (if you need it).

Good luck with your audition, and let us know what your impressions were..

Bob
Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Bobby1Note,

Regards,

SpruceTop
Another reason for a road trip! I just might meet you someday
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Just checked the link and there are a couple of listings closer than an 8 hour ride
I was just near one place 2 days ago and noticed they look like they went out of business. It was a very well known amp and instrument repair shop that I thought had been doing really well for quite a few years. The Stimulus must have put them under.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Bob,

I got this response from a PA forum I visit.

"most powered speakers are going to sound better than their non-powered equivalent because most of the powered speakers are bi-amped, meaning they have separate amps for woofer and horn. This allows internal processing, which provides eq, time alignment, and electronic crossover. All these are dialed in at the factory for the best sound from that speaker. Also, most have limiters built in."

The Yorkville is in the same weight and pricerange of several powered 12's. They seem to blow away the Mackies. Would love to here a side by with the SxA100's and the K12's even just to see how these Yorkies perform.

BUT even with the comments above, I am really not looking to lug around powered 12's. With my shoulder getting better I really need to start to make a decision soon!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Basically, Yorkvilles' reputation is built on bullet-proof reliability, and top-notch customer service and support, and very good bang-for-the-buck, especially with their subwoofers.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Turns out there's a Yorkville dealer within about an hour of me, too. Who woulda thunk it?

Have you had any direct experience with the NX200S or LS200P subwoofers? Looks like one of those might be a very nice companion for a BagAmp, would you reckon?

Thanks.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Last edited by DrDavid; 04-10-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Sorry DrDavid, I have no experience with those particular subs you've listed. I've seen them, but never listened. They simply didn't interest me at the time, and I believe the NX55p's would simply overwhelm those small subs. The LS720p and NX720p were designed to compliment the NX series "tops".

That said, unless you're in a rock band with bass guitar, and mic'ing a kick-drum, you probably wouldn't need the sub if you're using the NX55p's, especially for an all acoustic guitar/vocals set-up.

I'm very fussy when it comes to subs. I like a very clean/tight/articulate/natural-sounding sub, and the LS720p's fit that bill quite nicely. They're not quite as loud as the LS700p's (-3dB I believe), but I prefer the sound of the LS720p over the LS700p by a wide margin.

Bob
Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry DrDavid, I have no experience with those particular subs you've listed. I've seen them, but never listened. They simply didn't interest me at the time, and I believe the NX55p's would simply overwhelm those small subs. The LS720p and NX720p were designed to compliment the NX series "tops".

That said, unless you're in a rock band with bass guitar, and mic'ing a kick-drum, you probably wouldn't need the sub if you're using the NX55p's, especially for an all acoustic guitar/vocals set-up.

I'm very fussy when it comes to subs. I like a very clean/tight/articulate/natural-sounding sub, and the LS720p's fit that bill quite nicely. They're not quite as loud as the LS700p's (-3dB I believe), but I prefer the sound of the LS720p over the LS700p by a wide margin.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks.

I'm specifically looking for a low frequency complement to the BagAmp.

Certainly the NX55p would provide that. But, at a significantly higher price point than the LS200P. And it's really only the <100Hz frequencies I want to address.

We are an acoustic group. No bass/kick. Moderate volumes. Small venues.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I got this response from a PA forum I visit.

"most powered speakers are going to sound better than their non-powered equivalent because most of the powered speakers are bi-amped, meaning they have separate amps for woofer and horn. This allows internal processing, which provides eq, time alignment, and electronic crossover. All these are dialed in at the factory for the best sound from that speaker. Also, most have limiters built in."

The Yorkville is in the same weight and pricerange of several powered 12's. They seem to blow away the Mackies. Would love to here a side by with the SxA100's and the K12's even just to see how these Yorkies perform.

BUT even with the comments above, I am really not looking to lug around powered 12's. With my shoulder getting better I really need to start to make a decision soon!
Bob/335,

I think the powered speakers can have a big advantage over passives, especially when you "push" the speaker close to it's limits, however, given the fact that you already have a powered mixer, and a sore shoulder, don't you think you'd be better off with a lighter weight passive speaker like the EV SX100's that you like? Did you find those lacking in some respect? I've never listened to the SX100's, but I was very impressed with the vocal articulation of the SxA250's, which surprised me, given that it's a 15" speaker.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Bob/335,

I think the powered speakers can have a big advantage over passives, especially when you "push" the speaker close to it's limits, however, given the fact that you already have a powered mixer, and a sore shoulder, don't you think you'd be better off with a lighter weight passive speaker like the EV SX100's that you like? Did you find those lacking in some respect? I've never listened to the SX100's, but I was very impressed with the vocal articulation of the SxA250's, which surprised me, given that it's a 15" speaker.
Well I was hoping to eventually shed the weight and size of this EMX5000-12. A small passive mixer would do better.

Some nice reviews and comparisons on the FBT Maxx2A I've been finding. Only 27 lbs. HMmmm That's lighter than the 32lb. SX100's. and a small passive mixer at 10lbs.

It was the vocal articulation while still sounding smooth and natural that I admired on the SX100's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification