The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Short term satisfaction...

Nah, I am taking the long-term strategy. Have a nice dinner ready for my wife when she arrives home for work (I do all the cooking and she has the longer commute) and then go get the noise making indulgence at Fedex...😀
I like your style - always keep the spouse happy! Glad it arrived in good order and looking forward to hearing your review. Really enjoy the opportunity to watch the build and hear the luthier's input followed by the owner's input.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Default A few hours in....

Since I had previously arranged to work from home today to await the Fedex delivery of Bruce’s guitar which I received yesterday, I was able to take a few hours today and play it a bit more than I was able to last night (call it an extended lunch).

As expected, it is an absolutely fabulous guitar! Light as a feather at 3 lb. 6 oz., perfectly set up and plays like “butter”. It is my only long-scale guitar (25.4”) but honestly, it plays as easy as any of my other short-scale and multi-scale instruments. It has a very comfortable neck profile that has some vintage girth to it which I like.

Tone is both difficult to capture in home made recordings shared on the internet and also is even more difficult to describe in words. For now, I can only attempt the latter:
  • In terms of time domain properties the guitar has a moderately fast attack, which I do not associate with rosewood, but may be due to its smaller body size in terms of how fast peak volume develops post-pluck. The notes decay slowly which is typical of rosewood with the fundamentals sustaining longer than the overtones.
  • In terms of frequency domain properties, the character of the timbre is neither vintage “dry”, nor would I describe it as modern “wet”. The supportive overtones are there with the high-end partials and a modicum of the euphonic low-end BRW rumble given its modest size, but they don’t get in the way of the fundamental tone. The sense of string-to string separation is beautifully there because of the balance in response across the strings and the relative strength of the fundamentals relative to the partials. The balance is there throughout the fingerboard even in the upper registers which is important to me (some guitars give it up here).
  • In terms of dynamic properties of the sound, the guitar responds to touch like a thoroughbred, maintaining its timbral character even with the lightest of touch and has reasonable headroom. I cannot really evaluate its projection (sitting here playing with myself) but there is a focus that smaller instruments seem to excel at where the timbre of the melody notes stand out “just right” over the supportive harmony.
More when I can…

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-17-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's lovely, guys. Kudos all around!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
That's lovely, guys. Kudos all around!

Steve
THANK YOU Steve... It actually sounds nicer than it looks...👍
Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Love it

Congrats looks great, I am in NJ also maybe one of these days can try it out :-)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Visenut Case

Up until this guitar from Bruce, my other guitars have cases from Ameritage, Hiscox or Hoffee. For this guitar, I tried a Visenut, Premier Series Classical Guitar Case with a Classical Soft Cover (http://www.visesnutcase.com/). I thought I would share my impressions of it in this post, for those who may be interested in case options.

First off, it is incredibly light weight. It weighs 8.3 lb. and 8.8 lb. with the soft cover. It is much lighter than a Hoffee (my 00 sized case is 12.0 lb.) and a Hiscox Artist (00 size is 12.2 lb.). Whether it is as protective is still TBD. It also has a very comfortable leather handle. Keep in mind, I do not travel regularly on planes with an instrument like many working musicians do. My instrument cases see the occasional trip in the back of my car. If you were checking it on a plane, because it does not have TSA approved locks, you could leave the 3 or 4 case locks closed but unlocked but can lock the zippers of the soft cover with a TSA approved lock.

The case shell is laminate of painted plastic/foam/plastic which acts as both shock, vibration and thermal insulation. The interior is a soft velour material with a memory foam padding under it. In terms of case balance, it stands both vertically and horizontally.

This size case can fit either a classical, 0 or 00 sized steel stringed guitar given its size and the range of adjustability of the support belt. The belt adjusts to the perimeter of the guitar body and affixes with two large velcro fasteners in the accessory compartment. You can see the belt in the image without the guitar in it. This is a very clever feature. They also make larger 000/OM and Dreadnought sized cases as well.

The latches (you can get it with 3 or 4 latches) are riveted to the case shell and are twist to lock cam types with a center key lock.

I also took a few extra shots of the guitar in the somewhat less warm east coast March sun.

The BRW set is simply amazing! Here is a close up shot of the cocobolo sapwood bridge pins in the ebony pyramid bridge that Burton LeGeyt was kind enough to make for us.

Here are the cocobolo sapwood buttons that Burton made for the Waverly tuners as well. They tie beautifully in with the binding. You can also tell that it is a true birds beak bridle joint because the mahogany on the headstock is exhibiting figure indicating it is quartersawn.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Default One Week In...

I have now had Bruce's single 0 a bit over a week now and have 8-10 hours of playing on it, so I am beginning to get to know it a bit in its still young state.

To no surprise, this is a profoundly good guitar. One of the best that I have ever played. It has string-to-string balance, it responsive to touch, and a character to its timbre that I would neither describe as neither "dry" nor "wet". There is forward "focus" to the melody notes that may be due to speed of attack of a smaller body. When playing it, I frankly forget that it is a small guitar. Perhaps its its balanced voice that is not lacking in bass, the added power of a long scale or the added body depth of a single 0, but you feel like you're playing an extremely comfortable guitar just like my 00, L00 and 000/OM sized guitars.

Bruce really knocked it out of the park with this commission (kudos maestro).
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I have now had Bruce's single 0 a bit over a week now and have 8-10 hours of playing on it, so I am beginning to get to know it a bit in its still young state.

To no surprise, this is a profoundly good guitar. One of the best that I have ever played. It has string-to-string balance, it responsive to touch, and a character to its timbre that I would neither describe as neither "dry" nor "wet". There is forward "focus" to the melody notes that may be due to speed of attack of a smaller body. When playing it, I frankly forget that it is a small guitar. Perhaps its its balanced voice that is not lacking in bass, the added power of a long scale or the added body depth of a single 0, but you feel like you're playing an extremely comfortable guitar just like my 00, L00 and 000/OM sized guitars.

One correction - it's your guitar now, not Bruce's!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
I agree. What a beautyyyy! Congrats! Bruce never ceases to impress on aesthetics but you truly have to play one to appreciate the tone that he manages to squeeze out of his instruments. Deluxe.

JR
Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM

A truly splendid guitar in every way ... you are a lucky guy for sure!
Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
That's kind of like telling the father the kid is not the mothers' . . . .
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I'm sure that it must be hard to let loose some of these - especially a beauty like this one!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
I am the current custodian, but there will be others after me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I agree. What a beautyyyy! Congrats! Bruce never ceases to impress on aesthetics but you truly have to play one to appreciate the tone that he manages to squeeze out of his instruments. Deluxe.

JR
JR, you are welcome to audition it if you are either at the Artisan Guitar Show or at Woodstock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
A truly splendid guitar in every way ... you are a lucky guy for sure!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Just a follow-up...

Just a follow up post. This 0-12 that Bruce made for me is simply one of the greatest acoustic flat tops of any size that I have ever had the pleasure of playing bar none. All of Bruce's guitars in my experience are top tier instruments in their sound (I own three and have auditioned >15 over the years), but this one is really represents the zenith of his acoustic mastery.

I wont attempt to further describe its tone beyond my earlier posting, nor do I think my recording skills along with internet compression will adequately reproduce its timbre as perceived by the player. I will however bring it with me to the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase (http://www.woodstockinvitational.com/) in October for Bruce to exhibit and for others to audition.

Bruce turned 70 in March and won't be building guitars forever. So if you are one of the many that have quietly watch Bruce chronicle his lutherie here on AGF over the last 7-years but not had the opportunity to sample his guitars or said "some day I will have him build me a guitar", I suggest you give him a call and get in his build queue ASAP.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 05-14-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Since I had previously arranged to work from home today to await the Fedex delivery of Bruce’s guitar which I received yesterday, I was able to take a few hours today and play it a bit more than I was able to last night (call it an extended lunch).

As expected, it is an absolutely fabulous guitar! Light as a feather at 3 lb. 6 oz., perfectly set up and plays like “butter”. It is my only long-scale guitar (25.4”) but honestly, it plays as easy as any of my other short-scale and multi-scale instruments. It has a very comfortable neck profile that has some vintage girth to it which I like.

Tone is both difficult to capture in home made recordings shared on the internet and also is even more difficult to describe in words. For now, I can only attempt the latter:
  • In terms of time domain properties the guitar has a moderately fast attack, which I do not associate with rosewood, but may be due to its smaller body size in terms of how fast peak volume develops post-pluck. The notes decay slowly which is typical of rosewood with the fundamentals sustaining longer than the overtones.
  • In terms of frequency domain properties, the character of the timbre is neither vintage “dry”, nor would I describe it as modern “wet”. The supportive overtones are there with the high-end partials and a modicum of the euphonic low-end BRW rumble given its modest size, but they don’t get in the way of the fundamental tone. The sense of string-to string separation is beautifully there because of the balance in response across the strings and the relative strength of the fundamentals relative to the partials. The balance is there throughout the fingerboard even in the upper registers which is important to me (some guitars give it up here).
  • In terms of dynamic properties of the sound, the guitar responds to touch like a thoroughbred, maintaining its timbral character even with the lightest of touch and has reasonable headroom. I cannot really evaluate its projection (sitting here playing with myself) but there is a focus that smaller instruments seem to excel at where the timbre of the melody notes stand out “just right” over the supportive harmony.
More when I can…

Very nice. Love the look. Its what guitars used to and probably should still look like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop