The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Mic tips for recording a Martin

Hey guys. I would like some tips for a good microphone for recording my acoustic. I have a Martin 000x1ae. I recently bought a Rode NT1A to record vocals with. It sounds awesome but as I would want to record vocals+guitar at the same time I would like a new, solid mic to give a nice sound from the Martin. Any ideas? As I really like my Rode, I was looking at the Rode NT5, maybe that could be a good choice? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 PM

Depends how much money you got really doesn't it?

The NT5 are ok...depending on who you listen to. Some people love them...some people hate them. Some people think they sound harsh and sterile...some people think they sound warm and inviting.

If you trek on over to gearslutz and start a thread like this you'll get 100 replies....and 100 different microphone suggestions.

You'll be left no smarter than you were when you began.

Take a look at how much you want to spend...find a list of mics in that price and choose the one that looks the best to you.

You can try reading about them...but opinions will vary wildly and you'll get nowhere.

In the end, my advice is to make your own bed and lie in it. Just pick the one/ones that look good to you.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Here's my advice from having gone around the block with this a few times:

Buy what you can afford, small or large condensor, and spend a lot
of time figuring where to place your mics in relation to your guitar.

If you can't afford room treatment, get in the middle of the largest room in your place, and surround yourself with some blankets draped over things to block out the room acoustics as much as possible.

In order of importance for a good recording :

how well you play
the quality of your guitar
strings and pick or nails if you fingerpick
mic placement
the acoustic space you're recording in

mic

mic preamp

converter
Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 PM

PS - Search for posts by Doug Young on this forum. He compares $100 mics to $4-5000 mics. Listen. Decide for yourself.

I'll bet you end up saving a bunch of money.

Jim McCarthy
Old 04-29-2015, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marre View Post
Hey guys. I would like some tips for a good microphone for recording my acoustic. I have a Martin 000x1ae. I recently bought a Rode NT1A to record vocals with. It sounds awesome but as I would want to record vocals+guitar at the same time I would like a new, solid mic to give a nice sound from the Martin. Any ideas? As I really like my Rode, I was looking at the Rode NT5, maybe that could be a good choice? Thanks!
Before getting to a specific second mic, how do you plan to use two mics to record your vocals and your guitar (i.e., what placement(s) will you use)? How do you plan on mixing those two sources (e.g., mono, stereo)?

The reason I ask these questions first is because your answers will affect what mics you should use. For example, if you want to record with a slight stereo spread, it may make more sense to get a second Rode NT1A and record in an XY configuration while signing and playing at the same time, placing the pair of mics in a (hopeful) sweet spot which records your voice and guitar at the levels and with the tone that work best.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks for your comments
Yeah, I forgot to mention my budget for a new mic is around 200-250$. Plugging into a Focusrite scarlett 2i2.

I'll look more into the NT5 but also other mics in my price range. I'll definitely look into the comparisons by Doug Young, that sounds interesting.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your comments
Yeah, I forgot to mention my budget for a new mic is around 200-250$. Plugging into a Focusrite scarlett 2i2.

I'll look more into the NT5 but also other mics in my price range. I'll definitely look into the comparisons by Doug Young, that sounds interesting.
You might want to consider the ADK A6.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM

i sure wouldn't buy a mic on looks. i would buy a mic based upon its sound. perhaps you could take your guitar to a big box store and have them set up a couple of mics that you could try out. otherwise, you may end up buying something that doesn't work for you.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well, If you're not going for stereo micing on the guitar I'd suggest a Rode NT3 medium condenser mic. I have a pair of NT3s (among several other mics) and they are great sounding mics. Plenty of bottom for a medium sized diaphragm mic and actually a very close second mic to a NT1 (which I also have). Your NT1 and an Nt3 would make a great stereo pair for solo acoustic, too. The price point is right where you desire, selling for under $250 new.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 AM

It really depends on your budget. You could just add another mic to the Rode so you are stereo recording with 2 different pics.

For me the best stereo sound will come from small condenser mics. Rode NT 5 pair is popular as is the NT 55. I use a Bayerdynamic M930 pair — wonderful natural and silent mics which are a good alternative to the NT 55.

But remember, it is not obligatory t spend a lot of money for decent sound!
Martin J40
Old 05-02-2015, 11:42 AM

I have been very satisfied with a Shure SM81 small diaphragm condenser mic on solo acoustic guitar (while recording vocals on Rode NT1000).

The SM81 is about $350 new but worth the extra change if you can swing it.

Like others have said, I researched mic placement as much as I researched different types of mikes. Harmony Central has decent gear reviews if you want to begin comparing reviews of the different mikes people have posted about.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
PS - Search for posts by Doug Young on this forum. He compares $100 mics to $4-5000 mics. Listen. Decide for yourself.

I'll bet you end up saving a bunch of money.

Jim McCarthy
This works for guitars too.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Pardon the purely self promoting nature of this reply, but I am selling a pair of ADK A6's over at Reverb.com

https://reverb.com/item/599119-pair-of-adk-a6-mics

Anton
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM

If you're not going to have a stereo spread or anything like that, have you considered room recording? Find the room that sounds the best in your house, place the mic in the sweetest spot you can find and play away.

FWIW I believe this is how recording was done up to and including The Beatles. Once close mic techniques and multitrack recording got going they would have the whole band play the song and only record on or two parts(drums and rhythm guitar). Then go back and record the bass track, vocals, lead, etc.

I've experimented with mic placement, and found that an open backed amp about 3 or 4 feet from the closed end of a hallway and a single mic a couple feet in front of the hall gave me the best sound. Much more depth and fuller sound than I thought capable with that amp. Nice reverb from the hallway.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood&wire View Post
I have been very satisfied with a Shure SM81 small diaphragm condenser mic on solo acoustic guitar (while recording vocals on Rode NT1000).

The SM81 is about $350 new but worth the extra change if you can swing it.

Like others have said, I researched mic placement as much as I researched different types of mikes. Harmony Central has decent gear reviews if you want to begin comparing reviews of the different mikes people have posted about.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good stuff about that mic. Definitely interested, considering going for it. Do you have any tips on good mic stand for that microphone? I was thinking of a KM 25960 but I have no idea if that would be good or not. What are you using? Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
guitar, martin 000, microphone, recording