The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-25-2015, 07:27 PM

Default Starting from scratch, all-in-one or computer based?

Here's where I am:

I don't have a lot of money, and I'd like to record a band I'm currently in. I have a laptop, but it's in no shape to do any multi-track recording. So, I've been considering an all-in-one device as opposed to doing computer based.

As far as specs goes, we have two acoustic guitar players, a bass player, and they all sing, and I play drums (small kit with just a couple of cymbals). I have a small mackie four xlr channel board that I'm going to pre-mix my drums with, so I'll only need one or two channels. By doing this I should only need 7-8 inputs at a time. We will record as live as possible with no click track.

What would you buy if trying to spend as little as possible while trying to get a good mix? Computer based or all-in-one recorder?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 AM

7-8 inputs is the key thing in helping you make your decision. What makes you think your computer is not capable of multitrack recording? I know people running old XP computers who do it!
For stand-alone recorders, the Tascam DP24 will record 8 simultaneous tracks, goes for about $400, the Zoom R24 also has 8 inputs and goes for about $500.

You can get a good audio interface with 8 inputs for the same (or a lot less). The advantages of computer recording (primarily in the mix-down and mastering stages) really do go a long way in bringing things up to a better sound, but ultimately its how involved you want to get doing recording (vs playing).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
7-8 inputs is the key thing in helping you make your decision. What makes you think your computer is not capable of multitrack recording?
It's super-slow. I mean, it may take 30 seconds to a minute to open up MS Word. We even did a factory reset, and it's still slow.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
It's super-slow. I mean, it may take 30 seconds to a minute to open up MS Word. We even did a factory reset, and it's still slow.
I am not sure what a factory reset is but assuming it's a PC have you defragged it ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM

What O/S are you running? 30 seconds to open up a Word document could mean anything from a fragmented hard drive, a hard drive about to die, or a computer with a lot of 'crap' programs running in the background.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM

Both.

First, trying to work with an old pc on it's last legs is just a huge worthless time suck. All the time that it is going to take to maybe get it working can far better be spent on recording.

My suggestion is to use a stand along recorder (I use the Zoom R24) as an audio capture device, THEN port them over to a new (and cheap) PC with a fair audio interface to use with an editing program (DAW) to mix your tracks into a finished work. Recording itself is difficult enough that you really need the simplicity of recording 24 bit tracks without the need to do a lot of work with your recording hardware.

Do be aware that the mics will set you back far more than the recorder, but you have to have them in any case. You have to consider it an expesnsive hobby; not a way to save money.

You can see more of my setup on my "Simple Homestyle Recording" webpage:
http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

First, trying to work with an old pc on it's last legs is just a huge worthless time suck.
Yup. I've recorded about five different projects on this computer. They've all turned out well, but I'm pretty sure I've about killed this computer doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My suggestion is to use a stand along recorder (I use the Zoom R24) as an audio capture device, THEN port them over to a new (and cheap) PC with a fair audio interface to use with an editing program (DAW) to mix your tracks into a finished work. Recording itself is difficult enough that you really need the simplicity of recording 24 bit tracks without the need to do a lot of work with your recording hardware.

Do be aware that the mics will set you back far more than the recorder, but you have to have them in any case. You have to consider it an expesnsive hobby; not a way to save money.

You can see more of my setup on my "Simple Homestyle Recording" webpage:
http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Thanks for the advice. I think I may be better off trying to find a studio setup that someone is just wanting to unload on craigslist. I've recorded a lot of music over the last 20 years, but there are so many different options now. I'd prefer just to go to a studio and lay down some tracks; however, many of the mom-and-pop places around here no longer exist. I'll definitely be checking out this website soon.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Is the RAM maxed out (ie. Do you have as many sticks in the highest MB that are made to fit your machine)? Might be cheaper to buy RAM sticks and then get a program like Reaper (super cheap and does everything you'll need).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD