The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Default GoPro any thoughts.....

Hi guys, anyone have any experience with these guys for music? I see they are great little action cameras but haven't seen much on the music side. I realize the audio is not CD quality but wondered if good enough for the occasional video to post to YouTube.

Lots of places have them for sale this holiday season, here in the US I found the white edition for $199 and the hero3+ silver for $249.

I've been searching the forum for tips on video recording but coming up empty. I just wanted something I can set up and record, wasn't really sure about using a different mic and syncing the audio/video and such.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Seems to me that IF I posted to Youtube I'd be much more interested in the audio quality than the video. But you could use the GoPro for video and record on a better audio device and sync in post processing before uploading.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:56 PM

The advantage of the GoPros is their ruggedness. For doing what you want, use any digital camera with video capability - or even an iPhone - and record the audio separately, then use video software to combine them.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Don't attempt to use the GoPro audio - as I recall it has AGC (Automatic Gain Control) that can't be defeated.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 AM

The GoPro's are good for what they are, but the Zoom Q4 does nicely with video AND audio.

Here's my review: http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...-and-2496.html

I have two music performance within links within the story. One at a backyard jam with the built-in Q4 mics. The other with a feed from my Fishman SoloAmp.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
The GoPro's are good for what they are, but the Zoom Q4 does nicely with video AND audio.

Here's my review: http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com...-and-2496.html

I have two music performance within links within the story. One at a backyard jam with the built-in Q4 mics. The other with a feed from my Fishman SoloAmp.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Excellent and thorough review. I want one of those.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:33 PM

In searching for an answer to the same question you have asked, I came across the following video - and I have a H1 so im going to try this configuration. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/D9UO70NlNCY
Old 05-10-2015, 06:50 AM

The problem with most of the small cam setups is the mic is located too far away from the instrument when you have your shot framed to your liking. Here's my "rather unconventional" setup for using my H1 with a lowly point and shoot camera for doing YouTube video:

Old 05-12-2015, 11:38 AM

I think the only reason to use a GoPro when recording music would be to have a rugged camera that could be stuck in unusual spots (attached to a headstock looking down, clipped to a drummer's rack, strapped to the horn of a trumpet) to get some cool footage. As others have said, I'd always want to sync it with audio recorded on a better device (which these days, doesn't have to cost all that much...)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM

I just got a GoPro Session which is quite tiny to take on vacation, so came across this thread. Anyway I have never recorded myself, but have thought about giving it a try. I also have an LG G3, so what would be the better device to get started?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD