The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: New Martin D-18 vs New Gibson J-35.
2012 Martin D-18 96 64.86%
New Gibson J-35 52 35.14%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_david59 View Post
Here you go....This will help you better than most opinions....
Thanks for the clips, I have been very curious about these 2 guitars.

I prefer the look of the Gibson, slope shoulders and more natural color on the mahogany.

To my ear, the Martin won on the sound contest... hard to tell on cheap computer speakers, etc... they are close!

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
Be advised the Gibson does have a chunky neck though so that might play into your decision.
Hi Dodge... is it like J45 chunky, or J45-TV chunky? Or different?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM

definately chunkier than the standard J-45, Havent played a J-45TV so I cannot compare to that. Its still very comfortable and I happen to like it.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Gibsons acoustics have gotten much better since they started building them in Montana - but I still prefer the Martin in a landslide vote.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Cool

I would choose the Gibson J-35 over the Martin D-18 because it has better trebles and much more balance. I find most Martinsto be much too moody and grumbly. While Gibsons seem to be more focused and clear, less dark, and more even in tone.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
definately chunkier than the standard J-45, Havent played a J-45TV so I cannot compare to that. Its still very comfortable and I happen to like it.
Hmm okay thx. I guess I'll have to try one if I see one around. Kind of bummed to hear that about the neck though, as I found the J45 standard to be borderline too chunky for me in the upper frets.

The neck on my AJ is more like my Martin necks, which I prefer.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM

I would choose the Gibson because I find the Martin PA neck profile very uncomfortable and like a neck that is chunkier.

Want little, and you shall have all you need.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM

I played my first J-35 last night. I was pleasantly surprised and I liked it; however, I'm more of a Martin guy than a Gibson guy and I just love the 2012 D-18. It's that forward shifted scalloped bracing that makes me choose the Martin.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM

bumping for more response .....

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklaney View Post
I've played the new j-35 twice at a local shop, each time for half-an-hour or more, and really liked it. Seriously considering purchasing it.

But if I only had one or the other...the answer is the Martin d-18 by several million miles. MUCH higher quality build. MUCH higher quality materials. MUCH higher quality sound. MUCH higher resale value. MUCH more MUCHNESS.

and MUCH more expensive.

old thread but...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM

I like both guitars ALOT, but would go with the Martin D18 because I find the neck shape more comfortable, and I don't like the supplied pickup with the J35. More apples to apples, I would go with the Martin D17M. Better price, and killer tone! It still has the Hog back and Spruce top, but it has modified A bracing that sounds great, and a Pao Ferro fingerboard that feels great! I just got one, and it FAR exceeded my expections. It totally hangs with my HD28!

Here's mine...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabby5 View Post
and MUCH more expensive.

old thread but...
Maybe , but I never pick out a guitar soley on price. Not sure what the Gibbys are selling for , but the D18 can be had new for around 1700.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Both incredibly nice cuitars. I owned the D18 and played quite a few J35s. I prefer the J35 for the neck shape.

For what its worth, the J35 is "All Gibby" in its sound. The Martin D18, although also hog back and sides and spruce top, is as about as close to a rosewood guitar I have ever heard a D18 sound. VERY different sounds.

PS I echo the last poster's thumbs up for the D17M. If I had coin to spare I would have one...
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Having just been trough the process of deciding between Gibson & Martin, and having bought a Gibson, my opinion might not be as you'd expect;

Sight unseen, the D-18 hands down. To my ears and fingers, Martin is much more consistent than Gibson's. That being said, the RIGHT J-35 is magical. You may just have to play 15 or 20 of them to find it though.

In my case, I found a custom shop 1950's J-45 that is as nice a guitar as I could imagine. It wasn't hard to know that either. First chord and I knew it had that "magic" in spades. After an hour of not being able to put it down, I KNEW it was going to be "the one" for me. I didn't play a single other Gibson on the quest that gave me that feeling. Don't get me wrong, I played some nice ones, but nothing I couldn't walk away from.

The other one I was comparing it to was the HD-28. I must have played 6 or 8 of them. All simply stellar, for the exception of one that had some dead strings. All of them seemed really well setup, workmanship was top notch. Some may disagree, but I think Martin is on it when it comes to consistency.

But again, if you can find the "RIGHT" Gibson......
Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
But again, if you can find the "RIGHT" Gibson......
Funny you bring that up right now I'm here in the studio just captivated with the depth of tone coming from my J45. that said

Since I have a J45 which is in the same ball park as the J35 I would go for a D18 for a contrast, both are sweet guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion