The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM

Like Eric, I switched to 12 fret guitars almost exclusively a few years ago and never looked back. BUT...it is very dependent on your playing style, in my experience, if you like a 12 fret then you LOVE a 12 fret. (if that even makes sense)

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I personally think every guitar sounds "different" and make no generalization about 12 versus 14-fretters.
While I totally agree with this statement I do think it's just as fair to generalize about the differences in sound between a 12 fret and 14 fret as it is to generalize on any other aspect of a guitar's build that we tend to do here on this forum (i.e. various woods, string types, body sizes, scale length, etc...). It certainly is no more ridiculous than comparing tones produced by various bridge pin materials, right?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
If the difference between a 12- and a 14-fret guitar is where the neck meets the body and nothing else, why would they sound different?
The bridge and bracing position would change. That alone will alter the sound of the guitar. If you play it with your right arm in the same position as you would on a 14 fret, it will be further from the bridge. That will change the tone as well.

A 12 fret neck on a 14 fret body is just one approach. Martin has traditionally had a different body shape for the 12 fret guitars. Of course, that would have an even greater effect on the sound.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
It took me a while to get used to having my arm closer to my body. I actually played my Taylor 12-fret on my left leg for a while to move my arm out some. Now, it doesn't bother me much, but I still feel that my barre chords suffer up past 7 due to how the different geometry changes the leverage angles.
The only downside to playing my Martin 000-17 twelve fret is the cramped angle my left wrist is required to assume to play chords from the 7th fret and higher counter balanced by it being easier for me to fret chords at the lower positions due to their being closer to my reach.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion