The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 PM

Default The Podium

Quick question for the Minnesota AGF members on the board (or anyone else who might know I suppose ) about The Podium in Minneapolis. Do they allow haggling of any sort there, or are they pretty set on price? I'm not complaining about prices or anything; from what I've seen on the website, they have pretty darn good prices already. I just thought it would be good to know so that I don't buy something from them and find out later I might have gotten it cheaper. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:33 AM

The folks at the Podium are both knowledgeable and helpful. Given the level of service they provide, their prices are very reasonable. I have personally never haggled with them, nor have I observed anyone else ever doing so - but of course that doesn't mean you can't try.

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 AM

I've shopped at the Podium for years. I've gotten some good deals there based on "haggling." No one should ever feel sheepish about trying to get a better price. The dealer can simply say "no."

The Podium has excellent service, fine selection, and is run by people of integrity. I wholeheartedly recommend them. In fact, I think I might run down there myself this weekend.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Brands like huss and dalton, collings, and other similar makes have pretty much fixed pricing discounts no matter who you buy them from. So you might not have much success there.

You might be able to haggle w/ other makers and "aged" inventory.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Talk directly to Jeff (Owner) or Pat (Manager)- both first class people, among others down there- Due to service I would never buy anything anywhere else- they have too much variety to suit most people's need.

I have purchased guitars for full marked price, as well as discounts- all depends on what you are looking to pick up.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Default maybe...

I think I tried to haggle with the owner once on a guitar that was already pretty discounted. He said, no, it was the internet price. I suspect there is some wiggle room on some models.

They have an excellent, well-staffed store, and are nationally renowned for their selection and service. Good people to work with...Worth a try on haggling... what have you got to loose?

g'luck!
JBL EON One Compact
Too many harmonicas!

"I never met a guitar I didn't like..."
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 AM

Erethon; Good question, problem is the answer is not as simple. It depends on brand/model/new/used. I have purchased several guitars from the Podium over the past 5 years. I have asked for a low price on new guitars and I am confident that I got the best price that the Podium could offer. The price represents the product, retailer costs and service. I can not imagine getting better service at ANY guitar botique as what the Podium offers to all of it's customers. Additionally the Podium supports local venues and the special musicians that I like to hear. For my dollar the guitar price offered at the Podium, after asking for the best price, is a GREAT value. That said, I have received discounts of all of the price tags of the guitars purchased at the Podium.

Best in hunting at this terrific store. Isn't it special having this type of retailer in our neighborhood? Eric -
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

As others stated, many of the small to mid size builders have limits on the discounts. However, if you find a guitar you like that has been around their shop for about a year it may go into their "demo" pool. At that point additional discounts may be available.

In general, if you deal with them you will get a good/fair price. It is a very nice shop.

What brand(s) are you looking at?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM

The brands I'm talking about more specifically would be Martin and Taylor. Even more specifically, I was going to go down there and check out some D-28s and some x10ces (probably around the 310ces-510ces).
Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Balding G View Post
Best in hunting at this terrific store. Isn't it special having this type of retailer in our neighborhood? Eric -
+1 to that. Unfortunately, "in my neighborhood" means a good 5+ hour drive from where I live in North Dakota, but it is the only truly high-end shop that I know of within driving distance for me. Still, that distance probably protects my bank account a little. I have bought three guitars from them, and have been very happy with their service and sales pitch - which means no hard sell at all, just sit down and play to your heart's content - on every account.

I own a guitar.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Been there...purchased plenty...you can defintely haggle the price on anything there....in fact, I find their advertised prices a bit higher than most interent shops with similar brands of guitars...read goodall, huss, collings, etc...

They are not offended if you try to haggle...they expect it...

however i agree with everyone else.....quality and service are second to none...and they really k now their guitars...and have the best goodall selection on hand that I have ever seen....as well as many other top quality builder type guitars....fabulous place....it is truely guitar heaven.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erethon View Post
The brands I'm talking about more specifically would be Martin and Taylor. Even more specifically, I was going to go down there and check out some D-28s and some x10ces (probably around the 310ces-510ces).

You can DEFINITELY haggle the martins and taylors...no question about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion