The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Update.. The contour body is great! Comfy to play.

The pickups are strong! Wow! Nothing like the mim I had (Sold it yesterday.. lasted 2 days on CL). And the controls are much more solid.

Truly a step above. I'm really liking it.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM

I hate the fact that I love Telecaster`s, if that makes any sense! Every time I look at mine, it appears so basic, and awkward, that I just feel that there has to be more to a great electric guitar. However, after 30 odd years of playing nearly everything, it is always this model that I come back too. It really is the Swiss army knife of guitars.

Steve.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.

Last edited by frenchie; 07-26-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Great looking Tele, Steve!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Love the ashtray!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:09 PM

I bought a Guitar Center exclusive Telecaster USA Professional yesterday. Great guitar. My 3rd telecaster.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM

congratulations! You can never have too many Telecasters!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I bought a Guitar Center exclusive Telecaster USA Professional yesterday. Great guitar. My 3rd telecaster.
Sounds interesting. What's different than the Am. Std., etc?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
congratulations! You can never have too many Telecasters!
I'm starting to believe that! I regret selling my Fender MIM Tele so I can have my Les Paul re-fretted! And I should've bought a Tele with a Bigsby instead of the Strat for my "whammy" moments!!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSlinger View Post
I've never played a Tele or Tele inspired model before. I'm noticing a lot of players I admire like this style guitar.

Just curious what makes the Tele so desirable?
Listen to the music of James Burton, or better yet, pick up a copy of this month's Vintage Guitar, and read about him too.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
Plug one in and start playing some rhythm.
This is where I find it shines the most. Fills the entire mid and upper end of the bass register with sound. If you have ever heard down tuned metal guitar riff, that really throaty mid/bass is what the Tele will give you on the neck. Then when you do solo above the 5th fret, it really stands out.

This is a strength and a weakness. The sound can muddy with overdrive and so using it for solo riffing and more delicate playing its not as good as the Strat. The overtones can all blend together at high gain on the Tele, a Keith Richards chug. In some music, you need to dial that back, which is where the Strat comes in, its overtones are more separate. You can get a glassy feel with the Strat, the Tele gives you honest clean on the same settings, ie, chorus and delay.

The last thing I will say about the Tele is the bending. It is really easy to get a lot of subtlety in the bends as you strum or riff, making it a more versatile instrument than any other when looking for small changes in your riffs.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to believe that! I regret selling my Fender MIM Tele so I can have my Les Paul re-fretted! And I should've bought a Tele with a Bigsby instead of the Strat for my "whammy" moments!!
I think I would really prefer a tele over a strat but I, also, like the tremelo. Seems the only tele with a Bigsby that's available over the counter is a Squire with humbuckers.

Am I guessing correctly that it would cost a couple hundred bucks, at least, to have a Bigsby added to a tele?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 AM

'nuff said.

Ditch
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Sounds interesting. What's different than the Am. Std., etc?

Thanks
Well the Am std comes with a case. I had a Am. std a couple of yrs ago and the neck didn't suite me. The USA Pro has as a neck that's like my Deluxe Strat, so it feels right, straight as an arrow, satin finish. Also the bridge pickup is the same as my HSS Deluxe Strat. The single coil neck pickup is great, no hum. I had the single coil hum on all my telecasters and strats and they got rail pickups. I now have n3's on my Strat and it sounds great.
The USA Pro. is a rock guitar, pickups are hotter than the Am. Std. Other than my preference, I only see the preference for rock versus twang between the two.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Well the Am std comes with a case. I had a Am. std a couple of yrs ago and the neck didn't suite me. The USA Pro has as a neck that's like my Deluxe Strat, so it feels right, straight as an arrow, satin finish. Also the bridge pickup is the same as my HSS Deluxe Strat. The single coil neck pickup is great, no hum. I had the single coil hum on all my telecasters and strats and they got rail pickups. I now have n3's on my Strat and it sounds great.
The USA Pro. is a rock guitar, pickups are hotter than the Am. Std. Other than my preference, I only see the preference for rock versus twang between the two.
Got it. Sounds like a good fit. Congrats!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Looks like you've been doing your homework...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I think I would really prefer a tele over a strat but I, also, like the tremelo. Seems the only tele with a Bigsby that's available over the counter is a Squire with humbuckers.

Am I guessing correctly that it would cost a couple hundred bucks, at least, to have a Bigsby added to a tele?
Well, that's what it looks like at the moment, a Squier Cabronita with a Bigsby. And yes, from what I gather, a Bigsby installation on a Tele might set you back @ $250.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars