The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Default I've just been inspired--where do I start?

I've always wanted to write my own songs (I've written a few) but I've never really been inspired or felt like I had anything to say. Well, that's changed.

I've uncovered a "storyline" if you will, that could produce a whole album's worth of songs.

What's the best way to approach it? Come up with a few "hooks" and make the songs fit? Or just write out what I want to say and then massage it make it rhyme, or what?

I've heard Tom Petty say the first step is to come up with the character for the "narrator" of the song.

Any ideas or direction you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 09-05-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

There's no one process for songwriting but no song gets finished that never gets started so get to writing. In time, you'll discover the process that works for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 09-10-2017, 08:05 AM

I would approach it the same way as I approach any song. It works for me, but there are many, many, many ways to do it. There are no rules whatsoever, you are free to let your creativity run amok.
The way I write a song uses the following method.Give it a try. It might work for you, it might not, but at least it will give you a starting point.

1) I pick any phrase that I like ( worded phrase ). I sometimes flick through any book, magazine, newspaper article etc. and lift a sentence, or series of words that resonate with me, and with the mood of the song I am trying to create.As an example, I recently lifted a phrase from a Bill Bryson book that I was reading at the time. It really can be anything, as long as it reflects something of your feelings at the time.

2) Take the phrase, and pick up your guitar.Strum a few chords in a progression that you like and at a tempo that you feel would suit the song characteristics. Nothing fancy at this stage, just a few open position chords will do. Use this progression and try to hum a melody that will fit your word phrase over the progression.

3) Just continue with this until you can fit your words and melody over the progression. Sing the line lots and lots, until you are sick of it. Eventually you will find that another few chords will present themselves as if by majick ( You are literally picking up vibes from the cosmos, collective unconscious, muse, ether, call it what you will, it's all the same thing ).

4) As soon as those extra chords start to present themselves, add a new line and continue your melody. You can change anything that you don't like later on , so just let your subconscious choose what comes next. If you find something you like, write it down QUICKLY. I can't count the amount of good lines and melodies I have lost by not capturing them as they pop out from the cosmos. A small cassette recorder ( I am old ) is ideal for this also. Record anything and everything that pops out. You will be surprised how many lines and melodies appear in this way.

5) From here on you will need to do some some moulding. Organise what you have into verses, choruses, etc. decide how long you want the song to be. I usually aim for two to four minutes, but that is entirely your choice. Sometimes the song itself will dictate its own length. You are just encouraging it to write itself. You are the medium through which it gains its life.

6) Play it constantly, but take breaks of up to a week before revisiting it. You will continue to add bits, and take bits away. You might add new chords, runs, fills, lines, diction, and any other aspect to your song as time goes by. Do not play it to anybody at this stage! Out of politeness, they will say it is good, even if it isn't. Only you can be the judge. You are the medium, and only you can decide what works and what doesn't.

7) Keep on at it, until you have the whole song crafted. Some will arrive fully formed in minutes ( as you get more practised ) Others might take weeks. I am still adding bits and subtracting bits from songs I wrote years ago.

8) Enjoy the process, and don't get bogged down. If something is not working, scrap it and start again. Sometimes the parts you have scrapped will resurface in other songs, so not everything is wasted.

9) When the song is finished, and polished to your satisfaction, play it with pride, in the knowledge that only You could have given this song its life. You will know instinctively when to stop messing around with it and just let it be for a while. changes might sneak in as you play it more frequently, but that is the nature of the songs life. It will grow like a child, and you have to help it adapt and survive.

You now know everything I have learned over the years. Good luck with your songs. Start now. You don't know what's flying by in the ether, you could be missing something spectacular!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell