The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I had contacted Dream Guitars before ordering my first Emerald... and found out they had long since sold the X7 that was on their site. Wouldn't be my way of doing business, but they get to run it they way they want.

That said, I'm calling out the dirty varmint(s) who said Emerald dropped LA Guitar Sales (I wasn't aware of who said what or when - I just play my guitars and enjoy 'em). I know it wasn't me, and I hope no one was implying that (based on my post being quoted). The bottom line is: Ted doesn't sell Emerald any more and hasn't for longer than the time that Emerald chose to go to a direct sales model. If you want a new Emerald, you contact them direct. You want a different CF guitar (or Martin, Taylor, Eastman), you can contact Ted or another dealer.

For the record, I have purchased two guitars from Ted (sight unseen) and two guitars from Emerald (sight unseen)... well, I saw photos. Ted has direct contact with many manufacturers; with Emerald, you deal directly with the people who make your guitar.

Both business models work. You can buy a Chevy from a dealer, but Tesla sells direct. Just an example. I once bought a boat directly from the manufacturer... and some dealers for that boat line didn't like that the factory also sold direct. You just have to go with what works for you.

This isn't like Junior High, where you have to pick sides after "a break-up." They both seem to be doing fine without the other.

Certainly not trying to incite anything here... because it doesn't matter to me, beyond the implication of my post being quoted.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had contacted Dream Guitars before ordering my first Emerald... and found out they had long since sold the X7 that was on their site. Wouldn't be my way of doing business, but they get to run it they way they want.

That said, I'm calling out the dirty varmint(s) who said Emerald dropped LA Guitar Sales (I wasn't aware of who said what or when - I just play my guitars and enjoy 'em). I know it wasn't me, and I hope no one was implying that (based on my post being quoted). The bottom line is: Ted doesn't sell Emerald any more and hasn't for longer than the time that Emerald chose to go to a direct sales model. If you want a new Emerald, you contact them direct. You want a different CF guitar (or Martin, Taylor, Eastman), you can contact Ted or another dealer.

For the record, I have purchased two guitars from Ted (sight unseen) and two guitars from Emerald (sight unseen)... well, I saw photos. Ted has direct contact with many manufacturers; with Emerald, you deal directly with the people who make your guitar.

Both business models work. You can buy a Chevy from a dealer, but Tesla sells direct. Just an example. I once bought a boat directly from the manufacturer... and some dealers for that boat line didn't like that the factory also sold direct. You just have to go with what works for you.

This isn't like Junior High, where you have to pick sides after "a break-up." They both seem to be doing fine without the other.

Certainly not trying to incite anything here... because it doesn't matter to me, beyond the implication of my post being quoted.
I don't think anything was implied. I read, Emerald dropped dealers, which I wasn't aware of and I was educated that
That wasn't always the case. Simple as that. I don't see anyone picking sides. I don't care which business model is chosen, whatever works for the manufacturer is their business. How I choose to purchase is mine. I just happen to like to be able to touch, look and play a guitar before buying and not have to consider returns. Even if I have to pay a little more.
As far as buying a boat direct and dealers being pissed off, I don't blame them. They have invested in inventory, a building, employees and all that goes with promoting a line just to loose a sales to the manufacturer.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 AM

From the increasing backlog of orders, I think Emerald is doing just fine and the future is bright.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:19 AM

I certainly hope so. All reviews seem positive. I hope to have the opportunity to play one someday.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Guest 928

I don't think Alistair is really interested in going big. If he was, he could have been cranking out his guitars through various international production facilities. My suspicion is that he is not a robot and that he is keeping things human, close, and personal.

I think his big problem is going to be (if not already), too many demands for a care-full supply. One possible solution to this problem is an increasing price point. I believe that his customers (us) have been getting some great deals on custom work. And I like it.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I don't think Alistair is really interested in going big. If he was, he could have been cranking out his guitars through various international production facilities. My suspicion is that he is not a robot and that he is keeping things human, close, and personal.

I think his big problem is going to be (if not already), too many demands for a care-full supply. One possible solution to this problem is an increasing price point. I believe that his customers (us) have been getting some great deals on custom work. And I like it.
Of course it's all speculation, but I tend to agree. Likely Alistair is happy with where his company is at, including being close to customers and maintaining the hands-on custom work he seems to really enjoy. Bigger is not necessarily better, especially for someone who doesn't care to become stuck behind a desk bogged-down in spreadsheets and ever-expanding business plans and risk. If that's his thinking, I totally get it.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Of course I have no idea how many people are on the Emerald payroll, or what their overheads might be.

But at the boat show last week, I happened to see Alistair and Sean paying cash for a brace of very big matching luxury motor yachts.

Last edited by Long Jon; 09-06-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Of course I have no idea how many people are on the Emerald payroll, or what their overheads might be.

But at the boat show last week, I happened to see Alistair and Sean paying cash for a brace of very big matching luxury motor yachts.
Iirc, I believe Alistair got his start working with CF in boating applications, so chances are he built those yachts!
Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM

IF Alistair is somewhere north of a millionaire by now,,, then GOOD !! He bloody well deserves to be !
Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Progress is often associated with growth rather than innovation or quality. Alistair seems most interested in I&Q.

About those boats--they are probably factory boats. Once Alistair floats away from the island he can visit his clients and deliver his instruments. Smart business.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber