The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Neck relief on CA Guitars?

Since CA guitars do not have a truss rod, I'm wondering where they factory set the relief?

Their website explains that "The absence of a truss rod in the guitars presents no difficulty to the Plek Pro, as it is able to simulate string tension while planing the neck." This is pretty slick, but I can't find on the website a spec for neck relief at the 7th fret.

Though the standard set-up variance for relief on an acoustic guitar is pretty small (.004" to .012"), player feel and playing style can make the relief an issue for a player when it is set to the wrong extreme. For example, .004" is not likely to feel right or work well for a heavy-handed, hard strummer, while .012" may not feel right or work well for a fingerstyle player with a very light touch.

I tend to like "middle of the road" relief of .008" to .010", so I'm guessing the relief on a CA guitar is likely to feel okay to me, but thought I'd inquire to see if anyone knows exactly where it is set.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Just measured my CA Legacy. Capo at first fret, pressed down at 12th fret, got 008 at 7th fret low E.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber