The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-07-2002, 10:44 PM

Default GAS strikes again!

I just found my next Tayor guitar, only thing is it says Martin on the headstock
I found the most beautiful parlor sized guitar I've ever played in santa cruz this afternoon....played better than some of the Taylors in the room!
It was a OOO28VS. Thats a triple O, 28 sized, vintage series, slot head for those who don't know Martin codes.
It has Rosewood back and sides, spruce top, with aging toner, herringbone binding, no pickguard, 12 fret wide neck for fingerpickin', slotted headstock, with nickle waverly tunners!
I must have it!
Anyone else out there have the good fortune to play or handle one of these? Its a copy of a 1934 martin parlor.
Now the hard part, which taylor do I give up?

Flatfish
Old 07-07-2002, 11:43 PM

I choose a Martin for my Taylor's companion as well.
A D-41. Oh, and they have a cousin too, a 1973 Guild D-25.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:47 PM

I played a Steve Miller Signature model in Houston over the weekend, and oh my... it's a good thing I don't live in Houston!!
Old 07-08-2002, 06:17 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about Martin's 'Vintage' and 'Golden Era' series. Its too bad they couldn't imcorporate some of the improvements into their standard series. If I was ever to consider a Martin it would be one of these.

Just a note, its actually a copy of a vintage OOO28 and not a parlor, a parlor would just be an O sized body.

Derek
Old 07-08-2002, 05:35 PM

I really like the sound of the HD-28V.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:01 AM

Friends don't let friends drive Martins.

If you take off all the strings, knock the neck off, I hear Marin bodies make great UPS packing crates.

Reminds me of a song: (Ahem...)

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning,
I'd hammer in the evening...

Mortimer

Making sense out of senselessness
Old 07-09-2002, 12:17 PM

There, there, Col., somebody's gonna take you seriously. Before you know it, we could have a civil range war break out, Taylor players vs. Martin players. Heaven help those who have been known to play both!

We all know Martin makes some very fine guitars, plus some we don't particularly care for. We may have even run across an oddball Taylor we didn't like. Naaah, guess not.

Anyways, why don't we have a forum thingy where we can talk about our Taylors, and even have a section called "Reviews" where we can talk about Taylors, Martins, Stellas or Franichavitches. Yeah, and we could even have an "Anything Goes" section to talk about, well, anything.

What a great idea! Glad I thougt of it!!

cotten
Old 07-09-2002, 12:24 PM

I played a really sweet parlor size Collings at Mass Street Music last weekend. Definitely a fingerstyle blues machine. The depth of that little guitar was just amazing.

414 LOTF MACE
Big Baby
Tacoma EMC9
Old 07-10-2002, 10:55 AM

I'm sure that over at the Martin forum they have a little fun when someone mentions Taylor. If we thought they were better dollar for dollar, we'd buy them. I've made Taylor fans out of more than one Martin disciple. For me, it's not only Martins that I feel are behind Taylor, I've got 3 different brands in my music room that a couple of years ago, I thought were great. But then there was that fateful day....in a little shop in Monroe N.C. That place where I saw the light.

Mortimer

Old 07-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Amen, brother. Preach on!

cotten
Old 07-10-2002, 01:50 PM

Go Col.! Can I get a witness?

Todd
2000 Taylor Baby (office guitar)
2001 Yamaha APX9C
Old 07-10-2002, 08:37 PM

Default witness

Amen also. I once was a Martin disciple but not only did i see the light , I heard an angel sing out .IT was a taylor 610 !Once in a while I like to play a martin to make me realize how nice my Taylors are! 1996 -- 610 and 1996-- 410 koa
Old 07-11-2002, 07:53 AM

I think that diversity is the trump card here, and I must say I support my man Flatfish, particularly because he has a W15.

If I could have 10 acoustic guitars, they would certainly not all be Taylors. My first one, oh yeah ABSOLUTELY a Taylor, and my money's where my mouth is on that one. But there has to be a point where you buy that next guitar for its sheer difference vs the others you've got, right? For its ability to add to the mix? I know there's a large number of 'sounds' available within Taylor's product line in terms of wood and body size, but in the context of a sizeable collection (which I consider to be >2), why be exclusive when instead you can have your Taylors AND a Martin '00 AND an archtop or parlor guitar?

Just because Taylor's the obvious first choice doesn't mean one should avoid all others. Next time out I'll be looking for a Taylor with the biggest contrast possible to my 415 (I'm thinking 612 tobacco, or maybe a used 422MA to sneak in under budget), but if for some amazing reason I still feel the GAS after that, I'll be looking for something vintage. And then something Koa... uh oh...
Old 07-11-2002, 11:21 AM

Maybe you're right... perhaps I've been too harsh or hasty about my conversion to Taylor....(gazes over at the 812 CE in the stand beside the desk...) Naaaaaahhh!!

Cross over children... all are welcome...all welcome. There is peace and serenity in the light!!

Rev. Mortimer

Old 07-11-2002, 11:40 AM

What we need is for Taylor to make a couple of 12-fret models, maybe even let 'em be their own series. Mmmm...

Wouldn't that be nice? Imagine the intimacy of that sound. I don't think this'd be as much of a departure as an archtop or an electric or even a classical, by the way, and it sure would make it easier for us wayward sinners to stay with the flock.

I know I'm probably not the first to think this, so I'm curious as to the history. Is there a semi-official Taylor 'opinion' on this subject? I did do a quick search but didn't find anything major.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification