The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2002, 07:48 PM

Default Classical Guitar choice

Hi,
I'm looking for a classical guiter, with cutaway/electronics in the 700-1000 price range. (Not looking for a taylor this time)

I've been told about 2 possible choices that fit this description
-Alvarez PC50SC
-Takamine CE 132 SC

Any word form any of you who have experienced either of these?

Any other thought, idea of any other guitars in this range?

thanks!
Bob
Old 06-24-2002, 08:03 PM

Good choices. I'd go the Alvarez for acoustic sound and the Takamine if you are plugging in a lot. Also, Ovation has a cheapie version of the custom shop country artist out for about $600 at GC and is worth considering. If you're not going to amplify and had a $1000 budget, I'd look around for an older Yairi.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:35 PM

Never played the Alvarez, but if I had the money I would own a Takamine CD 132 SC. My local shop has one that is just beautiful unplugged and since it is a Takamine, you know it will sound even better plugged in. They seemed to be priced a little high in my opinion though.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:45 PM

Here you go:
Takamine G124-S solid top classical guitar, very good condition, great tone, SKB hard case,$299. Trades welcome.
---- recycler.com, just in today
Old 06-26-2002, 07:05 AM

Talking

The Takamine is a great guitar within that price range, solid cedar top top...I think it actually sounds better unplugged than the Taylor nylons. More warmth and volume.

But if you go Takamine, don't get the digital pre amp. You don't need it and they eat batteries (this from a Takamine rep to my dealer).. The one with the tuner in it is nice (CT4B?) or the Graph=Ex if you like an extra knob to tweak.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:04 PM

Any reason your not looking for a Taylor this time?
I was in Guitar Center In San Jose yesterday and noticed they had a Brand New Taylor NS32, sapele/spruce in stock that was priced within your budget, played real nice too.

Flatfish
Old 06-26-2002, 06:03 PM

I vote for the Takamine. I have never owned one, but I have tried a few and they allways sound and feel good to me. Stay away for a Yamaha. I consider mind a mistake.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:34 PM

Default classicals

Interesting you ask why I didnt choose the Taylor. It was recommended that I call "Maple Street Guitars" in Atlanta and ask them, as they are supposedly some heavy hitters in this area.

The woman I spoke with drastically and dramatically warned me to stay away from the Taylors.

So off to my local place (who happened to have a very nice selection). I played the Takamine 132 series with the non-digital preamp next to the (dont know the model) 2200.00 Taylor, and I honestly have to say, the Takamine was significantly better.

Hey, I've been in Taylor heaven recently, but that classical cutaway model was very disappointing. It was very loud and very mid-rangy. After hooking it up to an amplifier..... well... it almost seemed like i could put some steel strings on it, and make it sound darn close to my 310. : )

Anyway... got the Takamine.. Love it, cherish it, play Waltz of the Flowers on it and make my young guitar students angry.
"Uhhhh... Bob.....can you just teach me some Ozzy on that instead?" hee hee

Additionally, your advice was right on, as the woman at the shop in Atlanta made the following comment, "The Takamine EC132SC is the best cutaway Classical guitar I've heard under 1500.00, including the Yairi's and Manuel Rodriguez, which are both very popular."

So... good for me that they had one in stock down here.

thanks for the help!!
Bob Colosi
Old 07-01-2002, 07:01 AM

congrats on your new acquistion..those are indeed amazing classicals, especially for that price. Surprised to hear you say that the taylors were loud; lack of volume has been my experience. Oddly I am getting one anyway, but only because I have a Taylor credit I need to use, I greatly prefer the narrower neck ( I have to support all my bad habits learned on steel string!) and will only use it plugged. I think the Taylors sound pretty good through a good acoustic amp.

Where'd you get your arrangement of the Tchaikovsky..?
Old 07-01-2002, 03:41 PM

If you want to get the most for your money, go get yourself a copy of the current issue (July, 2002) of Acoustic Guitar magazine (or go read it at your local library). It has a feature article comparison/review of 16 different low budget (all under $1,500) classical guitars by various makers ranging from the most famous (Ramirez) to the lesser known makers. In this price range you won't be looking at anything great, but you can find something that is good enough to get you started. Note: classical guitars tend to be more expensive than steel string guitars on a quality for quality basis.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:52 PM

Default Takamine necks

I like the taylor ns if you play thumb or fingerstyle.
Takamines are ok but the neck is like baseball bat
imho
Rick
Old 07-09-2002, 04:01 AM

From what I remember, the NS series isn't supposed to compete with Classicals; it's focus was on Acoustic players who wanted the nylon sound and feel. No doubt, if I wanted a Classical feel and sound, I'd go Alvarez. If I wanted to play Acoustic on nylon, I'd get the Taylor (just my opinion ....).

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 07-09-2002, 06:55 AM

In my opinion the Taylor NS series are not the way to go. Although they are not trying to be a classical guitar, they are trying to emulate the sound. Although the playability of the NS series is nice, they can not compare with a $600 Takamine in terms of sound. As much as I like the 1 7/8" neck and radiused fretboard of the Taylor, the sound just simply isn't good enough to justify the price.

Taylor steel strings are spectacular, Taylor nylons strings are not.

I'd go with the Tak. For the money it's a really nice nylon string.

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification