The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-28-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Maple research

EONS from now when I buy my next Taylor, I want it to be a compliment to my 415. Therefore I want it to play on light strings, be much more friendly when plugged in, etc.

If money were no object it'd be a K22 or W22, but probably a 612, although for me, THAT would certainly be pushing it.

So: I noticed on the Taylor website that they had extra 1997 catalogs lying around, so I emailed El Cajon and they sent me one.

And I spied the 422.

I understand that this is an all-satin Sitka/Maple grand concert that I could keep an eye out for, and eventually snatch up for very small FRACTION of the cost of a 600-series guitar, and play the heck out of it without fear.

My question is, how would the sound compare vs a 600 series GC-bodied guitar? I thank you for your responses.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:09 PM

Since all Taylors are built to the same general specs (brace size and pattern, internal materials, etc.) I think you could count on it sounding pretty much like a 612 from the same year. Of course, there will be the usual variations that exist between any two guitars, but it's still maple and Sitka. The only variable I know of is the pinless bridge that the older 400 series guitars had, and the difference there may be negligible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification