The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-31-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Looking for this sound

Hi, I'm slightly moving from steel to nylon and being captived by a video of Tatyana Ryshkova playing the beautiful Capricho Arabe. I love the piece, the execution and the sound. As I have to invest into a good classical guitar (budget up to 2500$) and still experimenting strings and such, from where shall I start to go into the direction of achieving something that can resemble the sound in the video? Any suggestion for guitar brand, model etc as well as strings is appreciated. I am currently looking at a 1971 Yamaha GC5 by Ezaki, a Manuel Rodriguez FC 2010 and a 1983 Contreras Estudio. I tend to prefer vintage sound to brand new ones. In the video it looks the guitar could be a cedar flamenco negra model, but I'm ignorant and could be mistaken deeply.. Thanks folks!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 AM

this is the Contreras I'm looking at:

and the Rodriguez:

The Yamaha has no video..
Old 05-31-2017, 11:03 AM

Where are you located? Do you have access to stores that carry good classical guitars? I would definitely want to play one before buying.

In the range considering you could look at the Hill Guitar Player series.

As to strings to be used, that is totally dependent on the guitar. On my Kenny Hill New World Player I use high tension Oasis strings because of the crisper sound that is similar to that heard in your first video.

I should note that I don't play classical music with my nylon-string guitar, but rather play folk/pop. I just love the sound of nylon on some types of music.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 05-31-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:37 AM

Not sure, but the guitar looks like a Michael Bruck she plays in another video. Even more important than the guitar, make sure to use the same sound engineer that takes her outstanding performance and elevates the sound to amazing.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am in Italy and there are good shops but not as good as some other EU ones (TFOA or Siccas). Problem is, I can try a good guitar but my fingers are not yet able to pull the potential out. I'd rather rely on some experienced player or reliable shop and work my path through that sound in the next years. You could hand to me the best Ramirez or whatever masterpiece and still I would make it sound as a squeeking mother-in-law...
Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

At the risk of telling you something you already know, be aware that in any recording, you're not just hearing the instrument. You're hearing the effects of the recording space, the microphones used (which can vary dramatically in tonal balance), the remainder of the recording chain and your playback system, especially speakers. Still, it's the only way to hear instruments that we don't have in our hands, which is frustrating, especially when I fall into the trap of believing what I hear in recordings!
-Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 11:37 PM

Hello,

The guitar does look like a Bruck... he makes both traditional and double top guitars and I'm pretty sure this one is a cedar/cedar double top although videos can be deceiving! His traditional output was known for being fairly "spanish" in sound quality with good separation of voices, which makes me think that this one is a DT although it can be really hard to tell in a recording where you don't know the natural sound of the space and also effects layered on...

The sound you're hearing in the video (whether it's the guitar or the sum of all parts as some have pointed out) is fairly full bodied and lush, but with a relatively strong fundamental that lets it maintain a degree of clarity.

The guitars you're looking at are really built in a different style to the one in the video. That's not to say that they *could* sound similar, but don't get your hopes up that a $2500 dollar factory built classical will match a $17,000 luthier guitar. The player probably helps quite a bit haha

I would strongly urge you at the $2500 price point to shop around for a used luthier guitar. The delcamp luthier forums have slews of guitars going up for sale and you might find something good in your price point. Right now is a good buying climate for used classical. Trying things out in person is best... but short of that make sure whoever you order from gives you an approval period. That way if it's really not up to snuff you can send it back.

Hope this helps

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical