The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 AM

Default C9 or C10 crossover

This thread is influenced by the comments on another thread where I asked about string spacing. But the comments have got me thinking.

These two seem the same (I would choose spruce top) with the difference of the rosewood or mahogany back and sides.

So what's the difference, for those who have played them?

I play blues, folk, John Fahey stuff, so I like strong trebles which project well. (I use Savarez Alliance too).

Which would be better for me? I can't try these guitars here where I live.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-22-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Guest 2143

I replied in your other thread, so I will be brief here. I too play all kinds of music on my C9 crossover (blues, classical, etc.). I don't think either the C9 or C10 would be better for the music you describe. They are just different. It might even be that the differences I noticed between the two I played had more to do with the particular examples than cedar/mahogany v. spruce/rosewood. I realize that this does not help much. However, there is a good chance that you will be happy with either one.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM

There was a big debate of the pro's and con's of each of these guitars on the Delcamp classical forum in 2015.

The general opinion is that the C9 is essentially identical to the C10 except the back and sides are mahogany instead of rosewood, and it costs a lot less.

Then it comes down to whether you want Cedar or Spruce on the top. The next step comes the inevitable strings decisions.

OH my, decisions, decisions....
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Hi, Like all the comments posted, there is no major difference between the sound of the C9 and C10 both in sound and quality of build or playablility.
I chose the C9 because it is much lighter and I happen to prefer Cedar/Mahogany, vs cedar /Rosewood. Essentially the same guitar but the C9
costs less. Regards
Norman2
Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM

I would choose the C9 in your case. You said that you like stronger trebles and mahogany will give you that better than rosewood, plus the cost is less.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 AM

In the end the C10 crossover arrived. I liked the size and specs, especially the 60mm string spacing at the bridge. But the nut was cut too low, the frets were uneven and the saddle was abnormally high. The break angle was so steep it made the strings feel stiff. I also wasn't too keen on the spruce sound (this part is just a matter of taste, I'm sure others would like the spruce sound). I sent it back.

I then ordered the C9 crossover with a cedar top. I liked the sound better (must be a cedar guy). This time the nut and saddle were correct, the frets were even, but had been leveled and rounded a bit heavily, so the frets were not as round and slightly lower than my Camps crossover. But, there seemed to be a loose brace, with a buzz coming from the bridge when played and when tapped. The guitar also has a really thick patch of "finish" on the top of the head stock (I wouldn't be too bothered by this, as long as the guitar sounds good and is playable).

The large company in Germany say to send it back, but it may be a gamble getting another of these as I'm not sure of the QC going on.

I see that most people are happy with the C9 and C10 classicals, maybe that's because the action is higher, and uneven frets are harder to notice. I have read in many reviews of Cordoba guitars that there are nut, saddle and fret problems. I'm in two minds; maybe I could get the brace fixed, if it is indeed a loose brace, so i might take it to a tech today and ask him, but I'm also thinking about sending it back (no costs for sending it back).
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-15-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 AM

Hi, I would send it back to the seller and tell them to send me an acceptable
C9. When I bought mine it had been set up perfectly and had no flaws at all.
Cordoba guitars have good quality control but sometimes you get a dud.
Just my opinion. Good Luck and regards
Norman2
Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 AM

Personally, minor fret, nut adjustments are part of setups to get all of my guitars adjusted to my preferences.

Every guitar that I have purchased goes to my luthier for adjustments.

My humble opinion is that you take the guitar to your repair person for review. He / she can tell you what's going on & if the buzz is minor. You might be able to get your dealer to pay for the repair or give you some compensation.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical