The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM

Default The $99 Acoustic Amp

I'm looking to get a small 2-channel acoustic amp in order to allow me to use a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT pedal. I was leaning toward a Fishman Loudbox Mini (after reading various threads and reviews on here), but I think I've decided for the present time, I don't really need that much volume and don't want to spend the money on it.

I'll be using it for two things: 1) home use just goofing around, and 2) in a weekly jam session with 3 other instruments. I've been using a 15W Vox practice amp at the jam session and it has PLENTY of power to keep up. I sing and play acoustic and the vocal channel is as important as the instrument channel.

I'm considering either the Behringer Ultracoustic AT108 or the Fender Acoustasonic 15.

Thoughts on either of these amps? I fully realize I could pay an extra $200 and get the Fishman, but I'm going to wait and do that down the road if I ever have a need for it.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM

You will not regret getting the Fishman.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi Ray…

I own that model Behringer amp, but we use it for keyboards in a living room rehearsal environment. I sounds pretty lousy with acoustics (unlike their more expensive acoustic amps), and is an open-back design.

This would be a better amp and worth it for the bucks involved - CliCk

The UltraSound AG-15 line is a superior small amp and they just seem to never build enough of them. The current model is AG-15M and it has two channels. The one I listed is single channel, but sounds great and has plenty of power.

I always see the AG-15M (two channel model) as backordered or out of stock.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Between the 2 .. I'd go for the Behringer.

Looks like a good amp for the low price.. Many excellent reviews too.

I like the fact that it has the Aux input for a mp3 or CD player. This for Me would come in handy.

Can't go wrong for 99 bucks.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ray…

I own that model Behringer amp, but we use it for keyboards in a living room rehearsal environment. I sounds pretty lousy with acoustics (unlike their more expensive acoustic amps), and is an open-back design.

This would be a better amp and worth it for the bucks involved - CliCk

The UltraSound AG-15 line is a superior small amp and they just seem to never build enough of them. The current model is AG-15M and it has two channels. The one I listed is single channel, but sounds great and has plenty of power.

I always see the AG-15M (two channel model) as backordered or out of stock.

Thanks - I'll check this out!
Old 08-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Ray;

I understand not wanting to spend a bunch of money on it... but I have to tell you, when you are talking about an acoustic guitar and your voice, anything you get for $99 is going to sound cheap and tinny... while an electric guitar sounds okay when distorted (even through a solid-state amp), NOT SO for the acoustic guitar or voice.

Buy something that you can grow into, something that's a solid piece of gear... then, take really good care of it and it will last you a good long while! Plus, if you decide you don't need it anymore, it's easier to sell a good piece of equipment than it is to sell a cheapo unit...

After decades of live performance and buying equipment, I have come to a solid general rule regarding gear and guitars...

B U Y O N C E !!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM

I agree with others that cheap is not the way to go. A used Fishman mini will cost $200 and it is a performing amp that makes your voice and guitar sound good. Don't go cheap on your talent...
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM

I agree that a used Fishman Mini or an Ultrasound AG-15M are your best choices for your application. The AG-15M is a particularly attractive option for you, I think, because you don't need effects on the amp itself (your Harmony G-XT will be taking care of that), and it has a good speaker and impressive EQ options for such a small amp.

Louis
Old 08-04-2015, 03:13 PM

I'd look for a used or new Loudbox Mini. If you need a mic, mic stand, and amp, buy a package deal. It's way cheaper.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Appreciate the responses. I knew the majority would go ahead and recommend the Loudbox Mini, even though I tried to go out of my way to make it clear it's not what I'm looking for right now.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:34 PM

I personally would avoid both of those amps and wait until you have the funds for something decent. I totally understand where you are coming from but I have come to the conclusion that buying cheap gear until you can afford or want something more high end, is just a waste of money. You might end up spending $100.00 more on a used Fishman Loudbox mini but you will be getting a quality amp that you will not have to upgrade as quickly.

Also, if you have been using a 15W Vox amp then the Loudbox Mini would be perfect for your needs. It's not like it will blow you away with volume.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:53 PM

Have you considered just getting a small 8" or 10" powered speaker?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:36 PM

I've got the AT-108,
and as long as you're not a cork sniffer it performs just fine for it's price point.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM

For $99 bucks get a 50 watt Kustom PA50. Three channels, portable, speaker stand mountable and you can use the 1/4" inputs and XLR inputs at the same time. What this means to you is that you could plug in two acoustic electric guitars and two microphones in at the same time for a duet and use the 3rd channel with an MP3 player or CD player for backing tracks:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-P...85-i1934071.gc

Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayKarpis View Post
Appreciate the responses. I knew the majority would go ahead and recommend the Loudbox Mini, even though I tried to go out of my way to make it clear it's not what I'm looking for right now.
Ray, you did indeed make that clear. But I and a lot of others here have wasted money on on cheaper stuff that may or may not have met our immediate needs, but which we quickly outgrew, and then bought something better -- often the item we should have bought in the first place. You rarely go wrong buying quality, and buying things that meet your needs now and also beyond. If you're up to maybe spending more in the long run than you need to, go with one of the two units you asked about. But many of us -- you probably too, in other circumstances -- have gone that route and learned a lesson. I personally like to invest in things that meet my current needs but also allow for some growing room. Good luck either way!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification