The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM

Default Upgrading to a Zed 14 question

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Zed 14 or a Zed 60 14fx.

The Zed60 14fx is listed under a Zed mini

The Zed 14 is listed under a 2 bus

I don't know what the bus difference is and if it's related to sound quality, recording or what. A little educational help would be appreciated.

I currently have a Zed 10 fx, I need more inputs.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-30-2015, 12:27 PM

Buses are ways of sending the signal from a channel somewhere else (effects, groups, monitors, etc.). Your Zed 10 has one bus (Aux) per channel. The 14 has two. I had a little 2 bus Mackie for a long time. I used one bus to send the signal to the reverb unit; I used the other one to send it to the monitor. There are, of course, much more creative and complex ways to use them now that so many boards have built in monitor sends and fx.

In short: if you aren't using the one that you have now, the number of them on the new board shouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Zed 14 or a Zed 60 14fx.

The Zed60 14fx is listed under a Zed mini

The Zed 14 is listed under a 2 bus

I don't know what the bus difference is and if it's related to sound quality, recording or what. A little educational help would be appreciated.

I currently have a Zed 10 fx, I need more inputs.

Last edited by midwinter; 07-30-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Buses are ways of sending the signal from a channel somewhere else (effects, groups, monitors, etc.). Your Zed 10 has one bus (Aux) per channel. The 14 has two. I had a little 2 bus Mackie for a long time. I used one bus to send the signal to the reverb unit; I used the other one to send it to the monitor. There are, of course, much more creative and complex ways to use them now that so many boards have built in monitor sends and fx.

In short: if you aren't using the one that you have now, the number of them on the new board shouldn't make a difference.
Thanks for clearing that up.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM

In that range as an alternative, I found the Soundcraft EFX-8 was in the sweet spot. Smaller in size, 8 XLR inputs (versus 6), slightly less expensive, decent sound, decent effects. I have an A&H mixer and use one in a house system weekly and they have been great. And I find the Soundcraft is on par sonically and in reliability. The EF8 is a single mix aux out (single buss if you will) but it doesn't sound like the second buss is one of your needs.

hunter
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 PM

keep in mind that the ZED 14 doesn't have effects. If you want one like it with effects, look at the ZED12FX, which like the 14 has four aux sends, one assigned to the effects engine.

The ZED60-14FX is basically the same as your 10FX, but with faders, channel mutes, and more inputs.

As Hunter notes, the Soundcraft EFX--and also the MFXi--ranges are also good choices. Soundcraft has also come out with a new range of inexpensive mixers called the Signature series, that have USB connections like the ZEDs, and the "MTK" models actually have multitrack recording capabilities (the ZEDs can only record in stereo).

Louis
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM

I don't know if you're hooked on the A&H boards (they seem amazing). But I have one of these Mackie boards that works like a champ. $175 blemished.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into the Soundcraft but I'm leaning towards the Zed60 - 14fx. The eight xlr/instrument inputs fits my needs more than a two bus mixer.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

Old 07-31-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into the Soundcraft but I'm leaning towards the Zed60 - 14fx. The eight xlr/instrument inputs fits my needs more than a two bus mixer.
As long as you don't need more than the one aux, that's a great little mixer.

Louis
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I have a ZED 10FX that I used for the last few years and they are great little boards. I was looking to upgrade without breaking the bank and came across the Soundcraft Ui16. If you have an iPad you may want to look into either this or the Ui12. Lots of features and really great sound.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStotes View Post
I have a ZED 10FX that I used for the last few years and they are great little boards. I was looking to upgrade without breaking the bank and came across the Soundcraft Ui16. If you have an iPad you may want to look into either this or the Ui12. Lots of features and really great sound.
I agree with JStotes in regard to iPad controlled mixers. They offer so much more flexibility for equalization and routing. Their onboard effects sound much better than the built in effects on compact analog mixers.

I replaced my ZED 10FX with a Behringer XR12 (with Midas preamps). I am completely happy with that decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification