The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Takamine?

There are a few Takamine C132S for sale near me, and I am somewhat inclined to go try them. I have a fun, old Juan Estruch guitar that I love to play, but I think it would be nice to have another guitar with better playability up the neck.

Thoughts on the Tak? How does it compare to student models at the Classical Guitar Store in the same price range? Alvarez/Yairi also has a good reputation. Do the MIJ guitars hold their own with the Spanish student models?

I don't play a ton of classical guitar, but I do play some easier etudes and pieces everyday, and I also fool around with some chord melody fingerstyle stuff.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM

I have a Takamine C132S built in 1978. For the price, it has a wonderful sound and tone that is the equal of more expensive classical guitars that I have played...some that were in the $1,000 range. I would go test drive those Taks if I were you. What is the year and price range of those guitars?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

The prices are pretty low. They're about $1K new, and these are both sub $400. There is also an Esteve 1GR08 I might get a chance to see and play. It's a little more money, but looks like maybe a little bit better guitar.

I noticed that the C132S has ladder bracing. This comes as a bit of a surprise to me. I assumed all student grade classicals were now fan-braced. Is ladder bracing common on classical guitars?
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a Takamine C132S used. I'm pretty happy for the price I paid. This is nicer than the Orpheus Valley FC I had a few years ago. It is louder, with more sustain and sweeter trebles. It's a surprisingly heavy guitar, but it is more responsive than other classical guitars I have owned — LaPatrie, Alvarez-Yairi, Dauphin... My experience is primarily with student-level guitars. Like other cedar-topped guitars I've tried, there is a bit of a fuzzy/muddy/blurry quality to the midrange.

Whatever shortcomings I find in a classical guitar, at least half of that is probably my acrylic nails and homegrown steel string guitar technique at play.

My Juan Estruch guitar has a spruce top. It offers more clarity/articulation, but is much quieter with less sustain. It will continue to be the guitar I sing with, while I think I'll use the Tak for my daily classical guitar practice.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
The prices are pretty low. They're about $1K new, and these are both sub $400. There is also an Esteve 1GR08 I might get a chance to see and play. It's a little more money, but looks like maybe a little bit better guitar.

I noticed that the C132S has ladder bracing. This comes as a bit of a surprise to me. I assumed all student grade classicals were now fan-braced. Is ladder bracing common on classical guitars?
I have an Esteve 1GR08 and am quite happy with it.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:40 PM

The Tak model you are looking at has a great reputation. May be a bit heavier than average build.

Esteve 8's are generally very nice student (as opposed to concert level) guitars. Their bodies are a bit on the larger side, which given them a bit fuller sound. Very good value for the money generally. But beware, their prices can really fluctuate depending on when they were made. Research has convinced me that this has more to do with exchange rate fluctuation than build quality. Used Esteves built in the 90s can be as much or more than new Esteves of the same model. Nuts.

You should go and play the guitars and make a decision. Maybe take your guitar with you to do a direct comparison...
Old 09-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback. However, please see two posts above. I already bought the guitar.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuitarGuy View Post
I have a Takamine C132S built in 1978. For the price, it has a wonderful sound and tone that is the equal of more expensive classical guitars that I have played...some that were in the $1,000 range. I would go test drive those Taks if I were you. What is the year and price range of those guitars?
I think new C132s models are close to $1000 now.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 AM

Default Takamine guitars

I recently a bought a Takamine acoustic guitar with a cutout and it really has a good tone. I just wonder if anyone has bought the same model and I'd be interested in their opinion. The model is ED21C -TBL. Also I wonder if a 'full' guitar (without a cutout) is a better buy. At this stage I just play a lot of chords and learning songs.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
There are a few Takamine C132S for sale near me, and I am somewhat inclined to go try them. I have a fun, old Juan Estruch guitar that I love to play, but I think it would be nice to have another guitar with better playability up the neck.

Thoughts on the Tak? How does it compare to student models at the Classical Guitar Store in the same price range? Alvarez/Yairi also has a good reputation. Do the MIJ guitars hold their own with the Spanish student models?

I don't play a ton of classical guitar, but I do play some easier etudes and pieces everyday, and I also fool around with some chord melody fingerstyle stuff.

Thanks!
I got one of these on eBay years ago. It is my main guitar and I love it. I got it for an amazing price and just recently found out it was a "second" which is stamped on the inside. I never would have known. This is a great sounding guitar both acoustically and when plugged in.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. However, please see two posts above. I already bought the guitar.
I'm glad to hear that you did. I have one that was built in the 70s and it's quite a nice guitar.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
I'm glad to hear that you did. I have one that was built in the 70s and it's quite a nice guitar.
Hi Tim,

Are you using it in your Carcassi Op.60 video? Nice work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical