The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Aguado with Editorial Markings?

I have book III to Aguado's anthology, but it's all the original publications. I realize some people prefer the music this way so they can add everything themselves, but I kind of march to different drum in that regard.

Does anyone know if there are any Aguado scores with editorial markings and fingerings?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

The only Aguado book I have is an old Schott edition (GA 62) of his 24 Etudes and Scale studies. I've found it to be very useful, i.e. a focus on combining technique study with actual musical pieces (the 24 Etudes), much in the same spirit as Sor, his teacher. This older Schott edition includes left hand (fretting) markings only (along with dynamics and suggested tempi) but I don't know that these are actually Aguado's own suggestions or editing. I presume that they are.
There is no right hand fingering, but I suspect that this was intentional back when it was published, i.e. I think the idea is that you would use such a book in the study of classical guitar, and there would be a teacher involved who would be guiding you and perhaps even having you do the same study with different right hand fingerings, which can also be useful in itself.

On the internet I've now noted that this same edition has been revised, and now includes right hand fingering suggestions as well. See here:
Aguado 24 Studies
It looks like this might even be a freebie if you sign up with email, although the book version is certainly still available for purchase.

Anyway, these Aguado studies are excellent imo, and are musical enough to actually be fun to play.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Andre

Unfortunately, I'm looking more towards Aguado's concert works. Does anybody know if there's any out there?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical