The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Seeking flamenco guitar in Spain

Traveling to Spain and for none of the romantic reasons, I am considering purchasing a flamenco blanca guitar while there. I already have a good flamenco guitar but for various reasons don't want to take it to Spain. So I am looking for a factory build student model that is decent, available and reasonable. In the up to 600 to 700 euro range. While I'll be in Spain for a while, I will be moving around and since I am only looking student (read less expensive) level, I don't want to dedicate that much time to researching small shop builder/factory opportunities. And I am not looking for a builder guitar. I am looking for a guitar that is available to take out of the shop same day. Used would certainly be OK.

I have checked the bigger factory builders like Alhambra, Camps and Saez and I am pretty sure they make a model that will do nicely. However I can check into smaller shops if not too much travel is involved.

I'll be hitting Barcelona followed by Granada, Seville etc. and to maximize my guitar time, I hope to score something while in Barcelona. I have contacted Guitars from Spain and they will, for a small shipping fee, send a guitar to my Barcelona destination. And they have guitars in my range that would work out. This will probably work but I will be taking whatever they send. That is OK but not as good as a good shop in Barcelona where I can test different guitars.

There are threads out there on Spanish guitar buying and I have checked them out. Some have provided good insight. The big take away seems to be a Spanish guitar in Spain may not be all that great a way to go. I am not looking for a special guitar just a guitar that plays well has solid student level quality, a reasonable price and is available. Mainly so I can have a guitar while I am there since guitar playing (not buying) is part of my reason for going.

I welcome any input on good places in Barcelona to shop with a selection that might work. Any factory build brand experience would help too. Any other resources for buying in Spain would be good too. I found a link to a Delcamp thread that mentioned a buyer in Granada that facilitates higher end builder purchases but I suspect she would not be that interested in facilitating a student model purchase.

Thanks,

hunter
Old 07-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

What's the problem with buying a Spanish guitar in Spain? In my view, Spain's the best place to buy a student level Spanish guitar. I'm an Alhambra fan, personally, but you may find an Almansa or Admira that also fits the bill, if you happen upon the right model in stock (that was the tricky part for me, at least in Small Town Spain). Good luck in your hunt and happy travels!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Hunter

send Tom at Lafalseta an email and ask his opinion, he knows a lot of folks over there and may be able to help with your search.

http://www.lafalseta.com/
Old 07-16-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Traveling to Spain and for none of the romantic reasons, I am considering purchasing a flamenco blanca guitar while there. I already have a good flamenco guitar but for various reasons don't want to take it to Spain. So I am looking for a factory build student model that is decent, available and reasonable. In the up to 600 to 700 euro range. While I'll be in Spain for a while, I will be moving around and since I am only looking student (read less expensive) level, I don't want to dedicate that much time to researching small shop builder/factory opportunities. And I am not looking for a builder guitar.
Camps are based in Barcelona. IMO, some of the best budget flamenco guitars are built by Bernal, Sanchis Lopez and Camps.

If you have time check out Solera, the guitars there are going to be pricy but they probably have the best collection of flamenco guitars under one roof.
http://flamencoguitarsforsale.net/

If you do get a Camps, I imagine you could get it direct from them in Barcelona (Girona, which I imagine would be a train out) where you could pick the guitar out of many. FWIW, I reckon the Camps M7 is a superb guitar for price as is the Primera.

Here is a clip of the M7 at Mundo Flamenco (sold with a different label)
http://www.mundo-flamenco.com/nc/en/...46117d18553e75

Have a great time in Spain though!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Thanks to all. There is some good stuff to check out here. I appreciate the pointers.

hunter
Old 07-17-2015, 05:37 PM

Hi zhunter:

You'll be getting a favorable exchange rate. Enjoy your trip. I was in Madrid last year and my visit the Ramirez shop was the highlight of my trip.

If you have never been to Spain before, be aware that many shops close in the afternoon for their "siesta" time (pardon my Spanish- I don't know the Spanish equivalent for the Mexican "siesta" word). Hope you like soccer, because all they talk about over there is Barcelona vs. Real Madrid.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:38 PM

Reviving this old thread to say thanks again. I did buy a guitar in Spain and, in some part due to a tip on this thread, wound up with a Camps Primera blanca. Yes I busted the budget some, but the Primera was/is a good bang for the buck value in a carefully made, decent wood quality, well voiced factory guitar. And very flamenco. I found a nearby shop in Barcelona (Casa Luthier) that had multiples in stock and I was able to compare several guitars in the price range to come to my final selection.

Overall an outstanding experience and, though lugging a guitar all over Spain and Portugal was sometimes an added challenge, it was well worth it to have the guitar available as I traveled and to get home with a decent new nylon string. I managed to play it in some spectacular settings without getting arrested!

Thanks for the feedback.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical