The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-25-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Thinking of building a Les Paul clone

I'm kicking around the thought of building a les Paul clone. I'm thinking of buying a kit but then carving a new body out of some ash that came from the farm where I grew up. It would remind me of my dad the most.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? To be honest, I was thinking of a relatively cheap kit and upgrade the parts later if I feel it turns out well enough.

Thoughts / suggestions?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Those are set neck, so that may be the hardest part to get right (unless you go bolt-on). Should be a fun project.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 AM

I've seen some bolt on neck kits. I'll also wonder through the used guitar store for a relatively cheap clone that I can take apart .... lot of options. It should be fun!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Those are set neck, so that may be the hardest part to get right (unless you go bolt-on). Should be a fun project.
I put together a Strat from the ground up. Bought all of the parts from many different sources and then assembled and wired everything. Great learning. I wouldn't have done it with a glued in neck joint but no problems with a bolt on.

RedJoker - I'm not familiar with the kits. Check out Warmoth for some parts. They have great necks but they can also get expensive. That's where I got my neck.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Maybe a fretted through-neck plank could be an option? The Les-Paul-like Yamaha SG2000 is built like that.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:21 PM

If you're just starting, I'd say the single most important parts to consider are the frets. If you get a kit, I'd recommend trying to find one that has the frets finished. That saves you trying to level, crown and roll the fret ends. Everything else but the soldering is mostly mechanical.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:41 PM

I bought this Saga LC-10 LP style kit a while ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AQ...dir=1414301683

it is surprisingly decent. The neck on mine is really nice and it is bolt on. I bought it on a whim on one of Amazon's super sales. It was really cheap. I have yet to slap it together because I haven't had the time to paint it yet. This kit might not be a bad place to start.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:46 AM

I was looking at that amazon kit, 44runner. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I was looking at that amazon kit, 44runner. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Let us know what you end up doing. You could always put a bolt on kit together, make sure everything works, and then build your ash body with upgraded pickups/electronics.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 PM

What a great project. The set neck thing will be a challenge! I bet there are some good tutorials around that could help. Is their a humble builder anywhere close by you who would be willing to mentor/coach you through? I did that once with a luthier and built an acoustic guitar. He admits he would go in the shop at night and re-do a few things I did that day...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars