The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 AM

When I first started bending on my Strat I found myself pushing way too many strings on the same plane. I raised my action just a little and it allowed my bending fingers to go under the strings next to the one I was bending just enough to allow a much better bend. Action that is too low really can restrict your playing. Have it set up for Blues by a tech and you will find your string bending easier and your tone overall better.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
When I first started bending on my Strat I found myself pushing way too many strings on the same plane. I raised my action just a little and it allowed my bending fingers to go under the strings next to the one I was bending just enough to allow a much better bend. Action that is too low really can restrict your playing. Have it set up for Blues by a tech and you will find your string bending easier and your tone overall better.
I'm going to try this. Like Iron Horse, I'm feeling a bit restricted when bending. I can do it, and have gotten better, but perhaps I can get even better if I have the action raised a hair. Thanks!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I'm going to try this. Like Iron Horse, I'm feeling a bit restricted when bending. I can do it, and have gotten better, but perhaps I can get even better if I have the action raised a hair. Thanks!!
Just an observation that people keep saying "go to a tech", but raising the action is one of the many things that you can do with amazing ease by yourself. You don't need radius gauges and all the other stuff you read about either, and you certainly don't need any expert knowledge. Just raise the strings a bit and play. I will usually raise the three skinny strings a quarter-turn and the three thicker ones an eighth-turn, then go from there. Just keep track of what you do on a note pad, you can always put it back where you started.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Just an observation that people keep saying "go to a tech", but raising the action is one of the many things that you can do with amazing ease by yourself. You don't need radius gauges and all the other stuff you read about either, and you certainly don't need any expert knowledge. Just raise the strings a bit and play. I will usually raise the three skinny strings a quarter-turn and the three thicker ones an eighth-turn, then go from there. Just keep track of what you do on a note pad, you can always put it back where you started.
You're right, it's not hard. I'd recommend a good steel rule with increments in millimeter or 32". It really does help.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:27 AM

Default string bending practice

The first problem you may encounter when learning to bend is not pushing up on the string hard enough to reach the target note.

Make sure you're using a light enough gauge string. Normally, I use "lites" for my electric guitar but you may want to use "Extra Lites" if you're just starting
out.

The biggest secret to bending notes properly is that you MUST use supporting fingers!

Here's what I mean. Let's say you're doing a bend at the seventh fret, third string using your third finger. The bend comes much easier if you use your second finger to help the third push the string up.

Lay both fingers on the string. Keep your fingers together; no gaps. This technique provides good leverage to make the bend happen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars