The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
Proud owner of 6 Reverends and currently have 4 of them in the line up:

Sensei RT - Loved it, but a little flashy for me so Sold/Traded for a....

Tricky Gomez - very nice guitar with Gretsch-like leanings, only meaner and cleaner - but my quest continued so Sold/Traded for a....

Flatroc 15th Anniversary - Really had the Revtron/Filtertron sound I was searching for in the other 2 guitars...Chimey, with a nice bite and great bass response.

Reeves Gabrels I - great Rock guitar, but I put a Railhammer HV in the bridge and it is an unbelievably great Rock guitar. Reeves would approve....

Rick Vito I - wonderful slide guitar with the unique Dual-Pro pickup (like a Supro only better) and has some very sweet Tele like tones hiding in it.

Pete Anderson I - awesome hollow-body/P-90 blues machine that can take high-gain playing better than any hollow-body I've ever played. The P-90's are very nice also, creamy with a little bite, also sound great clean...Maybe Rev's most versatile guitar....

I'm actually in the process of selling the PA-1 to my neighbor to buy a Gretsch Tennessee Rose, but also because I want to try the new PA with Humbuckers. If I buy another P-90 guitar, it would be a Manta Ray P90.

Reverend's designs are very unique, their pickups have all sounded great to me on my current amp (Fender Supersonic 22), their customer service is without equal, the Bass Contour Control (BCC) is the coolest innovation I've seen for electric guitar (like a tone control for bass) which really broadens the tonal palette of their guitars. It should be standard on all guitars!

Joe Naylor has to be one of the most innovative guitar designers out there right now...look on their website at the number of offerings...not just a re-hash of the same old designs like the Big Boys, but some truly interesting and different body styles, pickup options, color schemes...Yeah, I'm a fan, no doubt...

If you buy one, watch out...you'll likely want another.

Here's a picture of the family around the Christmas Tree this year....

Wow, that's a sweet little collection!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I was thinking Manta Ray but that Pete Anderson has me thinking... lots of options w/ Reverend.

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

We just signed on with Reverend and I'm expecting to replace my Epi LP with one of these new additions. It's gonna be fun exploring this new line.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 AM

I fancied an Unknown Hinson sig model but by the time I got the scratch, they stopped producing them. Got me eye out for a second hand one but I'm not very hopeful. A pal of mine has an LE Manta Ray 3P from a few years ago and it's a well constructed, fine playing guitar.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM

I want to get a Tricky Gomez just for the name alone!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Oh no...a forum sponsor is now a Reverend dealer...that's gonna make a dent in my wallet!! I like the look and sound of the Club King 290...or maybe a Sensei 290...or one of the other Sensei models...

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 AM

My experience fwiw.
Ken at Reverened is the easiest guy I work with and when you call the company he answers the phone.
I play a Sensei myself as my rock guitar in my punky group.
Every one comes in set up well.
As said Pete plays them. He has done two clinics at the store in the last year. The guy can play whatever he wants and plays gear he likes from people he likes.
I hope they do become the new electric standard.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Played a P90, very nice guitar, but the hum would make me nuts. Then I picked up an RA with the Railhammers. I'm much more of a modern country music guitar fan, but something about the aggressiveness, and full chunky sound really bit me on that guitar. I also like how you can mellow it out with the bass contour control. The whole guitar felt great. I will be selling my LP, my Vox and the Agile in my signature more proactively and will definitely be buying a Sensei RA.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:02 PM

also am a fan of Reverend guitars as I have two of them. they are built very well and come set up excellent and those necks are superb!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post
I fancied an Unknown Hinson sig model but by the time I got the scratch, they stopped producing them. Got me eye out for a second hand one but I'm not very hopeful. A pal of mine has an LE Manta Ray 3P from a few years ago and it's a well constructed, fine playing guitar.
They still make the Hinson, at least it is still on their website, and Ken is really good about keeping it updated...and it looks like there are a few for sale yet, although I never see them up for sale used...they also have the Stu D baker, which is the same guitar, sans the bats!

The PA-1 is a great guitar and now they have it in new colors and offer it with Humbuckers and Revtrons (Hot Filtertrons), in addition to the the standard P90's. Sold my P90 PA-1 recently in lieu of a Gretsch Tennessee Rose, but am looking at the Humbucker version in the future. Since they are always tweaking and changing colors, pickups and adding new styles, as well as incorporating Joe Naylors line of Railhammer pickups, there is always a Reverend on my GAS radar...I once thought I'd like to own and trade every model they have, but I can't keep up with the changes these days...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been spending some time with several guitars in the Reverend line, and so far the Charger HB, Tricky Gomez and Manta Ray are my favorites. On paper I think I'll really like the Sensei, but haven't had the chance to check one out yet. Here's a shot of last Friday's gig of the Manta Ray HB. Really sounded nice on the Steely Dan stuff.

Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM

seriously considering a club king or buckshot. any opinions on which would be best for a mid-60's to early &0's rock sound with some blues thrown in?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars