The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

Is this not ‘proper’? I can’t believe tuning one string a half step up hurts the guitar (I use light strings anyway). Why isn’t it taught this way? What is going on here? Am I out-of-line?
If it helps you pull off the song the way you intend it to sound, then have at it. Bringing the E up half a step to F is no big deal. Woody doesn't play it that way, so it's taught the way he played it ... authentic. Don't let someone else tell you what and how to play ... unless you're satisfied sounding exactly someone else. Learn the song, then make it yours.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM

FWIW, the tension of a 53 gauge (light) E string tuned to F is almost exactly the same as a 56 gauge (medium) string tuned to E. Both just higher than 29 lbs.

On the other hand, I agree with Toby's and other comments that this won't be the first time you encounter a thumb wrap and it might be a good investment to figure it out.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I've been fingerpicking for over 40 yrs now and like to pontificate on the subject so plse bear w/ me.

I use my thumb to fret the low E string for both the F chord and sometimes G because it frees up other fingers to fret other notes which just couldn't be played bar chording classical style.

One thing I've been working on for the past 20 or so yrs (ha ha) is fretting two strings w/ one finger. For example fretting both the A and D string (B+E notes) with your middle finger for the E maj chord. Doing this frees up your ring finger to fret notes on the b string. I've seen Doc Watson and others do this but it takes lots of practise to do cleanly. Ok I'm done. Have fun

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerpicking, thumb