The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Default When You Say Nothing At All by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz (cover)

This is my cover of "When You Say Nothing At All." My version is most like the version from Ronan Keating; same key, same chords, even the key change is the same, but I decided not to make this a multi-track recording. Truth is, I have always liked Alison Krauss's version of this song.

The guitar is my Guild F512 12-string.

I have been away from making any videos or recordings for about the last 7 weeks or so because of my having hip joint replacement surgery in mid-October. It's now a little past 6 weeks since the surgery and I can move almost normally now, so I am doing quite well. It's nice to finally have a chance to make another recording, though I had to work a little to get my calluses back and my singing voice back in shape.

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Well Glenn it appears you are doing quite well, and your voice and guitar are no exception, well done. Your voice sounds really nice!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Well Glenn it appears you are doing quite well, and your voice and guitar are no exception, well done. Your voice sounds really nice!
Thank you Rick! Thanks for your comments; I'm really glad you like this.

Regarding recovery, I am doing pretty well, though I probably need another 6 weeks to get all my muscle functions back. But most things I can do right now. I have even raked leaves and moved wheel barrows full of heavy leaves to the compost pile, though I am a little out of shape from spending so much time being inactive during recovery.

Regards, Glenn
Old 12-01-2017, 07:22 PM

Glenn, love the recording - you make the Guild ring out beautifully, and your voice is still 'on' (even during the extended vocal at 2:30!). So pleased to hear, especially as your recovery advances....you've still got your mojo.

Thanks for brightening our evening!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, love the recording - you make the Guild ring out beautifully, and your voice is still 'on' (even during the extended vocal at 2:30!). So pleased to hear, especially as your recovery advances....you've still got your mojo.

Thanks for brightening our evening!
Oh, thank you so much for your thoughts and comments! I'm so glad you like this! Thanks so much for listening and commenting.

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 PM

That was awesome. Great production, voice, and balance. Guild sounds massive.
Now you need to do Alison Krauss version
Old 12-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
That was awesome. Great production, voice, and balance. Guild sounds massive.
Now you need to do Alison Krauss version
Thanks so much, 220V! I do agree, that Guild does sound big! I decided to use the 12-string instead of a 6-string because I really missed the bass and the drums; and while the 12-string couldn't provide me the drums and bass, it does provide a bigger sound.

My wife really didn't care for this song until I used the 12-string on it, so that kind of made up my mind.

I imagine you are kidding about doing an Alison Krauss version. My falsetto is not all that good anymore at my age!!

Thanks so much for your comments and for listening, 220V!

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2017, 08:42 PM

Been a while since I've dropped in here.

Sweet.... Fantastic man!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thanks so much, 220V! I do agree, that Guild does sound big! I decided to use the 12-string instead of a 6-string because I really missed the bass and the drums; and while the 12-string couldn't provide me the drums and bass, it does provide a bigger sound.

My wife really didn't care for this song until I used the 12-string on it, so that kind of made up my mind.

I imagine you are kidding about doing an Alison Krauss version. My falsetto is not all that good anymore at my age!!

Thanks so much for your comments and for listening, 220V!

- Glenn
Your wife definitely has the ear! 12 string Guild is THE choice for sure. I would have never thought of it, but it really does sounds great.

Yeah, I'm kidding about Alison Krauss
Old 12-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Been a while since I've dropped in here.

Sweet.... Fantastic man!
Thank you Jake!

Nice to see that you are still around, Jake! Thank you for listening and commenting! I'm so glad you liked this! I hope you are feeling better!

- Glenn
Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Wow Glenn, a wonderful version of a fabulous song. I was just trying to get some nice fingerpicking sounds out of my Guild this evening and thinking "how would Glenn do it"

Glad you're on the mend, how long has your hip been a problem?

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back, Glenn!
Still sounding great!!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
Your wife definitely has the ear! 12 string Guild is THE choice for sure. I would have never thought of it, but it really does sounds great.

Yeah, I'm kidding about Alison Krauss

Hi Glenn,
Glad you’re recovering. I enjoyed your playing and singing—and your wife is definitely right. The Guild really rings on this tune .

Peace,
Jimmy

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Wow Glenn, a wonderful version of a fabulous song. I was just trying to get some nice fingerpicking sounds out of my Guild this evening and thinking "how would Glenn do it"

Glad you're on the mend, how long has your hip been a problem?
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your supportive comments! I'm glad you liked this!

Regarding finger picking a 12-string, I am pretty sure I could be cleaner and more accurate in the days when I could use finger picks. But somewhere around age 40 my right index finger really started to be affected by osteoarthritis and the first joint started to grow crooked. So finger picks just hurt after that, so I started using my finger nails. On a 6-string, the change was positive and I think resulted in better tone. But in a 12-string, the finger picks really help getting in between the strings. I'm surprised sometimes that I can make it work at all. I really do like the Guild F512 for sure!

My left hip has been a problem for 10-15 years, but I have managed to deal with it until the last year. My wife went through hip joint replacement surgery 9 months ago, and I learned from her experience that once it gets bad, a person may as well have it done. Really after the first two weeks post surgery, my left hip felt better than it felt before the surgery, so opting for surgery was the right move. I now have to decide whether I want to do the right side, which is also pretty bad. The winter is a good time to do it so that I can be healed up for all the outdoor work needed during the spring, summer and fall. I have some worries about going through this again, but I have time to make up my mind.

Thanks for your comments Paul!

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Welcome back, Glenn!
Still sounding great!!
Thank you Bob!

I'm so glad to know that you are listening! I appreciate your comments very much!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell