The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Shorty Deal

Poking around the Elderly Instruments site I saw their Rainsong Shorty on special for $1599. I played that guitar and liked it plenty but I am not quite ready...thought it would be a good deal for someone here though. They only have the one, so get right on it!
https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ac...nufacturer=267
Old 10-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Hi Jim,

Rainsong discontinued the Shorty, the P12 parlors, and the Smokey models so some dealers are offering nice discounts on them.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 10-25-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Jim,

Rainsong discontinued the Shorty, the P12 parlors, and the Smokey models so some dealers are offering nice discounts on them.
Well so I see, and you are offering even better than Elderly (which I will not divulge, and probably should have been less specific about them, though I have no affiliation). And with pricing roughly comparable to the concert hybrids of the same size maybe I should be getting into the market after all.

Are we to expect some new models in their place or is this just a bit of simplification of the lineup?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a shorty from Ted yesterday
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I ordered a shorty from Ted yesterday
Holey-money, bry, you’re on a tear. Soon, your inventory is going to rival that of Ted and Kramster. Then you’re going to have prospective composite guitar buyers wanting to visit you to try before buying. Thanks in advance for your service!::
Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Holey-money, bry, you’re on a tear. Soon, your inventory is going to rival that of Ted and Kramster. Then you’re going to have prospective composite guitar buyers wanting to visit you to try before buying. Thanks in advance for your service!::

My plan is to end up with the perfect (for me) carbon trifecta.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
My plan is to end up with the perfect (for me) carbon trifecta.
With your playing skills, for that to happen, your collection won’t be complete until you have an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck or Synergy Harp Guitar to challenge you further.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Are we to expect some new models in their place or is this just a bit of simplification of the lineup?
My guess is that they replaced a bunch of stand-alone models with the Concert Hybrid series. The Shorty was replaced by the CH-OM, the Smokey was replaced by the CH-WS, and the Parlor was replaced by the CH-PA. All of them featured the same construction (uni carbon top on hybrid back and sides). As a CH-WS owner, I'm a pretty big fan of the new lineup.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM

I think that the CH-OM1100NS is essentially nearly the same as the "Shorty", is it not? Yet, offered at a very attractive price.

I'll also add that my recently acquired CH-OM1100NS continues to impress me greatly with it's fantastic, full, rich, and well-balanced tone, light weight, excellent playability, relatively compact form factor, and very low price. What an impressive instrument! I will confidently recommend this guitar to anyone wanting a carbon fiber guitar that has a form factor very close to a traditional all-wood acoustic guitar, and sounds awesome!

Of the many guitars that I have, the CH-OM1100NS may be the one I would keep above all others, including my beloved Martin OM28-V.

Why?, you might ask. The CH-OM1100NS pleases me nearly as much as my OM28-V does, but has the distinct and significant advantage (to me) that it needs no attention to maintaining humidification in the dry climate that I choose to live in. And it is impervious to changes in temperature and humidity. For some of us, that distinction is quite significant.

Last edited by DHart; 10-25-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I think that the CH-OM1100NS is essentially nearly the same as the "Shorty", is it not? Yet, offered at a very attractive price.

I'll also add that my recently acquired CH-OM1100NS continues to impress me greatly with it's fantastic, full, rich, and well-balanced tone, light weight, excellent playability, relatively compact form factor, and very low price. What an impressive instrument! I will confidently recommend this guitar to anyone wanting a carbon fiber guitar that has a form factor very close to a traditional all-wood acoustic guitar, and sounds awesome!

Of the many guitars that I have, the CH-OM1100NS may be the one I would keep above all others, including my beloved Martin OM28-V.

Why?, you might ask. The CH-OM1100NS pleases me nearly as much as my OM28-V does, but has the distinct and significant advantage (to me) that it needs no attention to maintaining humidification in the dry climate that I choose to live in. And it is impervious to changes in temperature and humidity. For some of us, that distinction is quite significant.

Ya I sold my ch Om thinking it was too big but I've missed it ever since. I've been playing the savoy with a neck up and it basically is the same position the ch Om was in. With the great deals on the shorties I had to jump on it to get a full gloss. That's the only difference between the shorty and the ch Om. I gues rosette and tuners are different also but same build.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
..Are we to expect some new models in their place or is this just a bit of simplification of the lineup?
We already have the new models in place, Jim. The CH-OM, and CH-PA models are essentially the same as the Shorty and P12 series with a different finish at a much more attractive price. And between the four versions of the new CH-WS, and 12-fret versions of the all carbon WS1000, and Hybrid H-WS1000, there really isn't a need for the Smokey series.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
We already have the new models in place, Jim. The CH-OM, and CH-PA models are essentially the same as the Shorty and P12 series with a different finish at a much more attractive price. And between the four versions of the new CH-WS, and 12-fret versions of the all carbon WS1000, and Hybrid H-WS1000, there really isn't a need for the Smokey series.
I am hoping that in 2018.. they offer a JM1000 in this finish.... fingers crossed!!!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Got it...the CH-OM1100 is the one that is appealing to me, helped along by the stunning photos from DHart...
Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
I am hoping that in 2018.. they offer a JM1000 in this finish.... fingers crossed!!!
Given that Rainsong never offered the Hybrid models in the Jumbo, I really don't see it, but Ashvin has surprise me in the past.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Got it...the CH-OM1100 is the one that is appealing to me, helped along by the stunning photos from DHart...
Jim... wait until you HEAR how great the CH-OM1100NS sounds. The rich, full, well-balanced tone quality is fantastic.

It's the best sounding CF guitar I've ever played (including several CA's, several RainSongs, several Emeralds, and a Blackbird Savoy) and holds its own very well with fine traditional wood guitars, like my Martin OM28-V.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber