The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I am still using a leather strap that I bought back around 1974 or 1975... it's called a FretSling. It was originally designed by Rudy Schlacher who at that time ran a store called The Sound Post in Evanston, IL. Later, Rudy purchased the brand "Washburn" and went into making Washburn guitars.

The FretSling was designed with the Les Paul in mind. It's a curved strap (not just straight) and that curve helped follow your shoulder and positioned the strap perfectly to where both strap buttons are located on a Les Paul.

I've used this strap all these years and it's still holding up just fine. It's black, so all I do is use some black shoe polish every now and then to shine it up. Looks great and works great all these years!

On a side note, Rudy also made strings back then called Nashville Straights. They were packaged in a very LONG box. They were not coiled and sold in paper sleeves. Never tried them, but always thought the packaging idea was interesting.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM

I'm using one of the 'Planet Lock' straps by Planet Waves on my Taylor SolidBody Classic. I think it works very well. There's two things I don't like about it though, 1) it sometimes cuts into my neck/shoulder a bit and 2) after about 1.5 years of using it, it's still a lot whiter than my guitar has aged to.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Here's Mine!

Love my Tempest Strap. Made from veg-tan leather.

www.tempestleather.com
Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Guest4562

I use some wide leather no-name straps I bought back in the seventies. Well worn, comfortable and they still work.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM

What: The case-candy Fender strap that came free with my Telecaster
Why: Because it came free with my Telecaster

"...'cause there ain't no one for to teach you no grammar."

Seagull Entourage Grand Parlor
Seagull S6 Original
2011 60th Anniversary Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Levy's suede leather standard acoustic guitar strap (2.5") with Grolsch beer bottle washers as strap locks on the Les Paul. Comfy, functional, long-lasting, and fairly economical.

I own a guitar.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 AM

Default DM strap to beg, steal, buy or borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I just use the plain (black/smooth on one side, rough/tan on the other) Dean Markley straps... had a friend who "endorses" DM and got them for fairly cheap...

They work just fine, once you adjust them to suit, they stay there... I use the slick, polished surface (w/ the logo) underneath, so I can move it on my shoulder easily, and just have the suede tan surface showing...

Simple, inexpensive and they do the job... the wide section is probably 4" or so, very comfortable...
Hey Jseth - any chance you'd have a black or dark brown DM strap to sell? Or that I can borrow? Putting together a costume that requires one, and I'm having a heck of a time finding one!!

Thanks,

Cleavo
Old 10-27-2014, 07:42 AM

I think I have a planet waves leather strap. It's just a flat piece of black leather, but it's adjustable.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:42 AM

I have several from Couch Guitar Straps, which I chose because they are not made with leather and look cool. I first heard about them because a friend works there. The straps I have are made from old automotive vinyl dead stock. They are strong but flexible, and the cutouts for the strap buttons don't require me to enlarge them to use with Schaller strap locks unlike most others. My only dislike is the metal hardware for the length adjuster, which can ding your guitar if you aren't careful.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM

I have tweed straps on my two Fenders. The one I like best is a mid-70's tweed and leather strap Fender put out. It's 3" or so wide and comfy. The only problem was that it came backed with a stiff vinyl which I removed. It certainly takes the weight off the shoulder.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM

2.5 inch suede leather by Levy's.
Super comfy, affordable and attractive straps that stay in place on your shoulder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars