The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2024, 03:13 PM

Default Help Needed for Hum

Good Evening Forum,

I have a Headway HE5 installed into a Sobell as they are one of the few that make a split saddle UST.

I also have a Schatten HFN stuck to the bridge plate as it offered a differnt sound and i plan to blend them (the bridge plate is too small for K&K).

The issue is as you can hear, but, touch the guitar and lead and the hum goes. The cable is fine with other pickups and there is ZERO noise.

Is it just a grounding/ soldering issue or could the Schatten be causing the issue even though its passive? Headway have already replaced the pickup with a better shielded pickup tip and still no fix.

I wondered if any Techs etc had advise as the saddle has now been routed for the Coaxial cable design meaning pulling the pickup is difficult.

Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood
Old 03-29-2024, 06:24 AM

You have a broken connection inside the guitar. The HFN is not part of the problem, if it was wired independently of the UST and the UST's preamp.

Coax USTs are generally pretty hard to damage, but they can break at 90 degree angle as they enter the saddle slot. I did not see a split UST option on the Headway website, but presumably you have two UST's, each of which might be damaged at the point they enter the saddle slot, or have a bad ground connection to the endpin preamp.

When you say "pickup tip" what exactly are you referring too? Did you send the entire pickup back to Headway for repair, or did they ship you a piece part which you integrated with the preamp?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-29-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You have a broken connection inside the guitar. The HFN is not part of the problem, if it was wired independently of the UST and the UST's preamp.

Coax USTs are generally pretty hard to damage, but they can break at 90 degree angle as they enter the saddle slot. I did not see a split UST option on the Headway website, but presumably you have two UST's, each of which might be damaged at the point they enter the saddle slot, or have a bad ground connection to the endpin preamp.

When you say "pickup tip" what exactly are you referring too? Did you send the entire pickup back to Headway for repair, or did they ship you a piece part which you integrated with the preamp?
The pickup is installed at 45 degrees as the manufacture instructs and this is a second pickup after the first was replaced due to the same issue.

The manufacture has said they think it was a tip shielding issue and replaced the whole pickup with a new unit. Given that the chances of the same issue happening are so small, I wondered what else it could be or if it could be the guitar/ install rather than the pickup.
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood
Old 03-30-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshevy View Post
The pickup is installed at 45 degrees as the manufacture instructs and this is a second pickup after the first was replaced due to the same issue.

The manufacture has said they think it was a tip shielding issue and replaced the whole pickup with a new unit. Given that the chances of the same issue happening are so small, I wondered what else it could be or if it could be the guitar/ install rather than the pickup.
How are the two USTs attached to the preamp?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification