The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 000-18 or OM-28???

I have a Gibson J45 (actually also have a hummingbird that I am trying to sell). I'm looking for a small body compliment. I mainly strum with some finger picking as well.

I have played the 000-18 and really like it. But, I'm thinking that adding rosewood would give me a better difference in tone. Also, I'm thinking that having a "short scale" - J45 and a "long scale" OM-28 would give better variety in playing experience than two short scale.

I haven't been able to play an OM-28 or OM-21 so I would appreciate any thoughts that might help make the decision.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM

I have both a OM-28 and 000-18, both excellent guitars but prefer the OM-28, the long scale gives a little more power for strumming, it rings clear as a bell and very balanced. You need to try to get a test drive on one, would be a great pair to the j-45.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Unless you drop tune quite a bit, go with the 000-18. You probably like the sound of mahogany, and the short scale should still be longer than your Gibsons. I keep my 000-28 in DADGAD and have no issues and love the slinkier feel and softer tone.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Unless you drop tune quite a bit, go with the 000-18. You probably like the sound of mahogany, and the short scale should still be longer than your Gibsons. I keep my 000-28 in DADGAD and have no issues and love the slinkier feel and softer tone.
+1...ditto, I have a D-18 and a 000-18 I perform with and have no issue going between scale length as they are not as drastic as Gibson. I like the stellar new OM-28's, even tho I prefer mahogany mostly, however; I always come back to mahogany and gifted my two rosewoods to my sons who love 'em. In your case tho, you may prefer the OM-28, a great choice!

*** There is a beautiful 2017 OM-28 in AGF Classifieds for $2,100 by member "mattd" : http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=500583

Last edited by noledog; 02-19-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 PM

I'd say go with the -21 or -28. They have a certain smoothness to their tone your others wouldn't have. Would differentiate better.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:30 PM

JP, I agree that getting the rosewood back and sides of the the OM-21 or OM-28 will be the most suitable choice for the use you plan to put the guitar to. Like you, I use a pick as a rhythm guitarist for most of my guitarplaying. The rosewood adds more bass response than the mahogany back and sides of the 000-18 can provide.

For years my only stage guitar was my 000-42. It's a powerful guitar, and what makes it even more practical is that its perfectly balanced tonal response is incredibly easy to mic: I just tell the person running the sound board to just run it flat.

As opposed to using a rosewood dreadnought onstage, which I used to do prior to getting the Triple O. With the dread I always had to hope that whoever was running the board had enough taste and skill to dial down the minimal amount of bass response but not too much. Had the guitar been run flat, though, with no EQ adjustments, the result would be howling feedback, with the bass response acting like a supervillain in a Marvel movie, mercilessly mowing down all before it.....

That problem simply doesn't exist with OM's and 14 fret Triple O's.

It does exist, however, with 12 fret Triple O's, I discovered to my chagrin the first time I used my new custom-ordered Wayne Henderson 12 fret Triple O onstage. That's because of the 12 fret Triple O's dreadnought-like bass response.

But OM's and 14 fret Triple O's are the perfect steel string acoustic guitar for miking and recording.

Getting back to your original question, having owned quite a few OM's and 14 fret Triple O's out of various tonewoods, for your use I believe that having rosewood backs and sides are the way to go for the way you play.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-19-2018, 05:56 PM

I've owned lots of both variants. I've never played a guitar that plays, sounds, records, amplifies better than my 000-18. As much as I love a great OM-28, there really is no comparison to a great 000-18.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I've owned lots of both variants. I've never played a guitar that plays, sounds, records, amplifies better than my 000-18. As much as I love a great OM-28, there really is no comparison to a great 000-18.
+1...here's mine. Please excuse my raw vox from several previous nite performance on this Monday morning remembrance of my friend who passed this month last year; I was in the moment. Not polished, only ran thru a few times, but John, my best mate loved this song.

Last edited by noledog; 02-19-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I have a J-45 and OM-28. The -28 would be a bigger contrast, but like others have said, if you prefer mahogany, the 000-18 may be to your liking better. I prefer rosewood over mahogany in general, but I like having different tonewoods rather than all the same. YMMV.

Santa Cruz H, Martin D28A 1937, 000-28AA 1937, 000-15M, Fairbanks F-20NL, Walker Wise River
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Eric...as always...good stuff! Both the 000-18 and OM-28 are great guitars. As others have said OM-28 to me is a little more versatile. Standard scale so a better strummer IMO but also gives you a different set of tone wood for a different voicing that's no as fundamental as mahogany. I've owned both but kept the OM-28. Play them both and decide. No right or wrong...just different. Beast of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Nice job Eric...as always...good stuff! Both the 000-18 and OM-28 are great guitars. As others have said OM-28 to me is a little more versatile. Standard scale so a better strummer IMO but also gives you a different set of tone wood for a different voicing that's no as fundamental as mahogany. I've owned both but kept the OM-28. Play them both and decide. No right or wrong...just different. Beast of luck!
* Thank you Jim! ...and good points on these two fine models; ya can't go wrong with either. I lean towards the OM-28 for the OP in this case. Plus that herringbone on an OM looks stunning.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses. Definitely helpful. Pretty divided responses and still a tough decision, but I think the variety of long scale and rosewood to complement my short scale Gibson is the direction I'm leaning.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Well, a great deal of that depends on both your right hand attack and the style of music that you choose to play. I've also played a lot of great 000-18's, and while I admire them, for the way I play the rosewood ones really do work better. It all comes down to a player's individual attack and methods.

whm
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Eric - beautiful rendition of a great song! And sorry for the loss of your mate. Thanks for the reminding of this song - heading over to find the chords and add this to the list.

To the OP, if you like the variety and don't mind long scales then the OM-28 is a no-brainer. And the OM-28 by all accounts is an incredible guitar. A work-horse for sure. I took an OM-35 in trade one time and if not for the long scale I might have kept it.

But I'm a fingerstyle guy anyway and much prefer short scales. But if I was going to add another wood guitar to my shortlist, I'd likely grab a 000 in rosewood just for a different flavor.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Eric - beautiful rendition of a great song! And sorry for the loss of your mate. Thanks for the reminding of this song - heading over to find the chords and add this to the list.

To the OP, if you like the variety and don't mind long scales then the OM-28 is a no-brainer. And the OM-28 by all accounts is an incredible guitar. A work-horse for sure. I took an OM-35 in trade one time and if not for the long scale I might have kept it.

But I'm a fingerstyle guy anyway and much prefer short scales. But if I was going to add another wood guitar to my shortlist, I'd likely grab a 000 in rosewood just for a different flavor.
Thanks buddy, much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion