The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Some personal do's and don'ts.

1. Do impress me with your knowledge of the guitars you have in stock, and how their advantages and shortcomings may relate to their value.
2. Don’t impress me with your guitar skills. I swear, if you have to show off some awesome lick every time you hand me a guitar, I’m not buying anything today and probably not coming back.
3. Do ask about what I like to play, what level I consider myself (beginner, intermediate, advanced), and please share the reasons you think I should try certain guitars.
4. Don’t share your contempt for customers who buy “crap made in China” or “overpriced guitars for doctors and lawyers.” (Do assume that I am one of those customers.)
5. Do give me space and the time to feel and hear the guitars that I try. It’s ok to go away for 15 minutes and just check back in to see if everything is ok. In fact, it would be ideal.
6. Don’t expect me to impress you with my skills. I came to buy a guitar, not perform for you, so please don’t hover. Aren’t there some guitars in the back that need to be dusted or tuned?
7. Don’t make me feel invisible. You might be intimidated by older customers like me, compared with the age of those who spend afternoons here, but I’m the one who is intimidated and out of my element. I just need a little guidance. Really very little.
8. Do keep in mind that I’m an adult with a day job and a family. I took a big chunk of my limited time to come here today, and I was not planning to leave without a purchase. If I do, that’s probably on you.
This is great advice.
I don't know your age or anything but in the world we live in these days its hard enough getting people to show up for work let alone actually be good doing their work.
That's not an excuse, it's just the way it is.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-19-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Job Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
This is great advice.
I don't know your age or anything but in the world we live in these days its hard enough getting people to show up for work let alone actually be good doing their work.
That's not an excuse, it's just the way it is.
Not to hijack the thread.....BUT.........

My son recently graduated college with his BSME. He applied for a job at the local Lowes for some pocket money.

During the interview he told them that it was just "until he found a real job."

They hired him anyway.

Yeah, they really are that desperate.........
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
A very significant majority of guitars players...including, most definitely, here on this forum...buy guitars very significantly above their ability level...

I don't want to be just another who jumps all over this post, but I'm always tripped up by the notion that folks can "buy guitars very significantly above their ability level."

A Fender acoustic pretty much has the same box and fretboard as a Martin, Collings, Huss & Dalton or even an Olson. Presumably they're much the same to play for both beginners and accomplished guitarists--and it might even be likely that it is easier to play an Olson than a "beginner" guitar.

I think a beginner will do just fine buying as much guitar (in terms of sound) as she or he can afford as long as it's set up well. In fact, I recommend it.

Last edited by jrb715; 02-19-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Who in the world buys an HD-35 and needs lessons?
I would think that everybody could use a lesson or two from somebody.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
I think a beginner will do just fine buying as much guitar (in terms of sound) as she or he can afford as long as it's set up well. In fact, I recommend it.
Well said, Sir!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM

First off, I am a 55 year old beginner with a 13 year old son that I would like to learn to play guitar with.

What I have noticed, being in sales most of my life, is that employees at these places are musicians first, second and third. I actually don't want a salesman in this area.

I do want someone well trained in many brands and models so that I can have a great learning experience. Now on the other hand, if I knew what I wanted and needed a few minutes to be alone, maybe in a soundproof room, I would just simply ask. At this point I would either get my wish or find that the store employee was still uneducated in the sales technique, and I would leave.

I actually went to a store today, which is why I joined this forum. In my case, I needed him to play the same music on several guitars so my ears would be the judge.

In the end, I got the answers I was looking for. I had several questions and I think he gave good answers to them. This is the oldest music store in my town and not a GS or the like.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM

This is spot on.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
All good points, except #3. An experienced and honest dealer will be in a better position to provide suggestions and advice if he/she knows some things about your and your music, such as styles you play, right hand technique (e.g., pick vs. fingerstyle), whether you play in a group, as a signer songwriter or solo instrumental, whehter you want to amplify the instrument, whether you play standing up or sitting down, and your skill level, among other things.

Put simply, without this information the seller will not have a rational basis to "share the reasons [he/she] thinks I should try certain guitars".
Re-read #3. The OP says "do" ask about this.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 AM

Also, they need to keep the set of strings at least on decent conditions. So many wonderful sounding guitars marred buy rusty unplayable strings.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Good morning - this is the first thread I have read today after checking my bank balance.

I'd like a morning ramble closely related to this matter.

My father started working for his living when he was 9 years old (1920). He considered that I should also start working at that age so he'd take me to his garage/petrol station early on Saturday mornings, and I became a "pump monkey" - my first job was customer service.
I quickly learned in 1959 that there were two benefits in giving good service

Gents in private cars mostly asked for four gallons (sixpence change) which I usually got if I smiled called them sir and made a deal about wiping the petrol cap etc.
The rare lady drivers often gave me an extra shilling if I smiled and said something complementary about their car.

Local tradesmen in small vans often gave me something - the baker, a bun etc.

Big lorry drivers ere often "on account" so whilst it was hard work refuelling a diesel tank, I chatted with them, and learned as they usually wanted to tell me about their lives, their war etc.

I learned quickly that smiling and doing just a little more enabled me to make money and made the "work" enjoyable. I usually more than doubled my 10 shilling "wage".

Later in my teens the rhythm guitarist in my band got me a job in a shoe shop. The first thing the manager told me was - Spend two hours - looking at every shoe in the window then looking for them on the store. Then look at the "spiffs" (end of line, slightly cheaper and carries a cash bonus fr the salesman). I learnt well.

When a customer asked for an item, I'd be able to get it quickly but also a similar "spiff" I sold more spiffs than anyone else and made mostly three times the wage for a Saturday boy, and enjoyed every minute.

So, my message is, most of the people in shops (and yesterday in the local gym) have not discovered that having a positive attitude to customers makes the day go more quickly and with more satisfaction.

Besides, "People buy people".

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-20-2018 at 04:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion