The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

When I bought my last Martin I put several through their paces. I played what I play the way I play it without regard to the hovering sales kid. Don't know if he was impressed or not, but when I'd made my selection and went over to the cashier to pay for it, she informed me that I was entitled to three free lessons. He informed her that I wouldn't be needing them.

But I thought about it later: Who in the world buys an HD-35 and needs lessons?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Maple Street Guitars does this

I've had the very experience you describe at Maple Street Guitars. Highly recommended.
Anecdote: the owner's son who I believe is taking over was prepping a youth size Fender Electric for a customer. Not a high dollar sale. He noticed a blemmish/mar on the pick guard the customer had not. He worked on it a while, but still wasn't happy. When the customer returned, he showed them the blem, which I wouldn't have noticed, and suggested there daughter take a different one. He apologized for the delay, dropped what he was doing, and personally prepped the guitar.
I don't think that's a one off. He also treated me, an almost total novice and 35 years older then him or thereabouts, with complete respect, as did both gentlemen who were helping me, one of which was John Cable, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band alum and currently touring with John Heusman (sp).
Scott
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Different customers have different wants and needs in their interactions with sales staff.

A good salesperson can identify what each customer wants and needs and provide it, not providing more and not providing less.

The thread is about the wants and needs of the OP, specifically, which seem to resonate with a number of those reading it. Other people are likely to have some of the same wants and needs as well as some of their own. It might be that there are some universal characteristics common to most buyers, characteristics of which every salesperson should be aware.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I remember when I was looking for a specific custom Martin that Mandolin Bros. had commissioned. So drove the 3 hours down to Staten Island. Stan was cordial and friendly, got out the guitar, set me up in a room, and said "I'm going to get lost, you two get acquainted". That's the kind of service I want when I'm auditioning guitars!
Never had the pleasure of meeting Stan but I continually hear stories like your's that remind me he was a great to deal with. A fine gentleman gone way too soon..

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 02-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Who in the world buys an HD-35 and needs lessons?
The question, perhaps, should be how many who buy an HD-35 - or fill in other similar make and model - ought to be taking lessons and doesn't recognize it?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:25 AM

I agree completely with these ideas. I always feel it’s hard being mid 30’s because a lot of salesmen seem to assume I’m not going to spend a lot. I’m a stay at home parent, and I will likely come in not wearing my best clothes or looking cool and hip (too old for that!), because I’m lucky if I can sneak out of the house to browse the 2 small stores by me. I might not buy something today, but I assure I will buy things when they have something that interests me as well as accessories or strings when I need them.

Some users commented on not shopping at big retailers, and I think a lot of people don’t have that luxury. The nearest independent, small shop that I have is a 3 hour drive from my house. Would I rather go there than my two local stores, yes, but it’s not feasible for a lot of people. I will still support my local stores, even if they are independently owned parts of chains, because they are in business in a smaller market and I would like to keep them here.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Tiger Woods has a coach.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Probably 80-90% of those who buy an HD-35.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Some personal do's and don'ts.

1. Do impress me with your knowledge of the guitars you have in stock, and how their advantages and shortcomings may relate to their value.
2. Don’t impress me with your guitar skills. I swear, if you have to show off some awesome lick every time you hand me a guitar, I’m not buying anything today and probably not coming back.
3. Do ask about what I like to play, what level I consider myself (beginner, intermediate, advanced), and please share the reasons you think I should try certain guitars.
4. Don’t share your contempt for customers who buy “crap made in China” or “overpriced guitars for doctors and lawyers.” (Do assume that I am one of those customers.)
5. Do give me space and the time to feel and hear the guitars that I try. It’s ok to go away for 15 minutes and just check back in to see if everything is ok. In fact, it would be ideal.
6. Don’t expect me to impress you with my skills. I came to buy a guitar, not perform for you, so please don’t hover. Aren’t there some guitars in the back that need to be dusted or tuned?
7. Don’t make me feel invisible. You might be intimidated by older customers like me, compared with the age of those who spend afternoons here, but I’m the one who is intimidated and out of my element. I just need a little guidance. Really very little.
8. Do keep in mind that I’m an adult with a day job and a family. I took a big chunk of my limited time to come here today, and I was not planning to leave without a purchase. If I do, that’s probably on you.
All good points, except #3. An experienced and honest dealer will be in a better position to provide suggestions and advice if he/she knows some things about your and your music, such as styles you play, right hand technique (e.g., pick vs. fingerstyle), whether you play in a group, as a signer songwriter or solo instrumental, whehter you want to amplify the instrument, whether you play standing up or sitting down, and your skill level, among other things.

Put simply, without this information the seller will not have a rational basis to "share the reasons [he/she] thinks I should try certain guitars".
Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Here's the story of a guitar I didn't buy. Or even touch.

Yelp Review

Couch Standards
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't mean any ill will towards particular stores or clerks. I believe most people are well intentioned and do what they think is best, but they just don't know how calibrate their approach from selling to customers my kids age to folks like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
It seems like the op is addressing the big box guitar retailers.
guitargabor, while it might be more difficult to get some alone time at the big places, I've had some really good sales people at GC's, and would not tar them all with the same brush. At least when you're in a huge box store, it's easy to wander away or hide your discomfort. In a small boutique, you basically are left with just leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilkins View Post
On the brighter side, I was looking at a Waterloo at Rockin Robins in Houston. Salesman got it down and said he would leave me alone in the room to get acquainted with it. Bought that guitar.
Twilkins, I love Rockin Robin!! Best buying experience of my life (not just guitars)! I was in Houston on business, and went straight over when they opened in the morning. The salesman set me up with what I wanted to try, and left me alone. I narrowed my choice to either a used Taylor 512ce or a Collings. The salesman said he really liked the Collings and thought it was a great deal, but he wasn't pushy about it. After another 20 minutes of back and forth by myself, I left with the Taylor and a new set of strings.

Depressingly, I saw from their Facebook page that the owner of Rockin Robin is putting the place up for sale. So I'm looking for a reason to get back to Houston before that happens. I mean, I love my Taylor and am faithful to her, but I just can't get that Collings out of my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
All good points, except #3. An experienced and honest dealer will be in a better position to provide suggestions and advice if he/she knows some things about your and your music, such as styles you play...
sdelsolray, I agree wholeheartedly! This was a "do" for me. I really appreciate a salesperson making an effort to understand who I am and what I'm looking for and trying to anticipate my needs, instead of lumping me into categories of "guy who wants cheap guitar from China" or "guy who will pay for an overpriced instrument made by Big Guitar."

Last edited by MChild62; 02-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
When I bought my last Martin I put several through their paces. I played what I play the way I play it without regard to the hovering sales kid. Don't know if he was impressed or not, but when I'd made my selection and went over to the cashier to pay for it, she informed me that I was entitled to three free lessons. He informed her that I wouldn't be needing them.

A very significant majority of guitars players...including, most definitely, here on this forum...buy guitars very significantly above their ability level...like the 25 handicap golfer, the skill level of the vast majority of golfers...who buy the latest greatest hi-tech $1500 club set, hoping that it will transform them into a 5 handicap golfer at the mere touch of the clubs in their hands.

Only in the elite higher end, higher quality guitar stores, Dream Guitars, AMW, Gryphon, Schoenbergs, TME, Mass St Music, Norman's, Elderly, Gruhns, Carter Vintage, Guitar Gallery, Luthiers Collection...et al...do the sale folks regularly/commonly get to work with high skilled players seeking an instrument, which is fair considering the caliber of instruments they carry, new and used.

But that ain't the real world for most guitar salespeople, and most of the Big Box guitar stores.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Not all of us are so fortunate as to know everything that there is to know.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
A very significant majority of guitars players...including, most definitely, here on this forum...buy guitars very significantly above their ability level...
With so many Brits here, there are probably some who will know about this. I see the same thing with darts players. And if you buy expensive darts and you still can't throw, it's not your fault. You just haven't bought the right expensive darts. Yet.

Couch Standards
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM

That’s exactly the service I get at my GC! That’s why I only buy there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion