The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
I'm a rhythm player, mostly strumming with a bit of flatpicking. My usual pick is a Blue Chip flatpick, which I like very much. I aspire to switching to a thumbpick and periodically work with one. I like the ergonomics of the Herco thumbpicks (sort of like a flatpick attached to a thumbholder), but geez Lousie it sounds terrible! Compared to my Blue Chip and to other flatpicks the Herco is harsh, tone-killing, LOUD, and terrible! What's the deal?
Why not a Blue Chip thumb pick? Used to use a ProPik, which was pretty good (and inexpensive), but, for me, the Blue Chip is better in every way: more comfortable, with a secure fit and therefore better control, with a clean sound. And it should last forever.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
Why not a Blue Chip thumb pick? Used to use a ProPik, which was pretty good (and inexpensive), but, for me, the Blue Chip is better in every way: more comfortable, with a secure fit and therefore better control, with a clean sound. And it should last forever.
I want to play with a thumbpick enough to feel confident that I will actually use one before investing in one of the spendy ones.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM

I primarily play with a thumb pick and three National brass finger picks (.025 gauge). Now I've tried many thumb picks, and most recently had settled on Golden Gates (Ivoroid and clown barf). They are very nice feeling... One of the most comfortable actually since they are rounded rather than a sharp angle at the joint. They are my recommendation for an affordable thumb pick.

That said, I recently went ahead and ordered the Blue Chip JD model thumb pick; size large. It fits almost the same as the golden gates, but is better sounding to my ear. The most important factor to me however is durability. All the plastic thumb picks I have used wear out after about two or three months use. So right when I get them broken in, they snap at the joint where the loop meets the pick. Every. Single. Time.

Shouldn't be an issue with the Blue Chip since it ports a metal band.

Here are my pics in all their glory:

Good luck finding what works for you!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Everyone has their own feel and sound that they go for in picks, but “thumb picks” that are just a flat pick with a thumb-wrap attached do not play well as a flat pick or a thumb pick (for me.) I assume there must be something they do well or no one would make them, but it escapes me.

I’m not sure what you are after with that style of pick, but they are not indicative of what a thumb pick can do, should do, or should sound like when used for its intended purpose.

Someone mentioned earlier that it may be the wrong tool for the job and I would guess that is the main issue for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion