The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Thanks for all the input. I had the opportunity to play a 000-18 today and a Collings OM1T, which is there Vintage model. Lightly x scalloped braced, Sitka over Mahogany, deep-ish neck which I'm willing to wager is very close to the sound of the GE.
Not even close. No Collings sounds anything like a Martin. The Collings will be louder than the 000-18GE, way more articulate, much more piano-like in tone, and more unforgiving of sloppy play than any Martin you will touch, even the OM-18A.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Bren
It was certainly louder and more present then either Martin. And yep more bell like. Definitely more chimey if that's what bell/piano like is. Superb build quality. You can hear the difference clearly in the cel phone videos I made in the store. Looking forward to my date with the two year old OM-18GE clone on Wednesday.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

* If I could afford an OM-18A '33 I would get it, but my lil' 000-18 is pretty sweet...here's a lil' clip from last week on a early Monday morning, voice shot from several previous nites of performing, but I was in the moment remembering my best friend and bandmate who passed this time last year. We both loved this song, tho I never played it, but just ran thru it a few times. Not polished, and just turned on lil' Canon camera and rolled with it. Sure miss my pal John ...the 000-18 has a saweet lil' tone even with old strings.

** Best with earbudz:

Old 02-19-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* If I could afford an OM-18A '33 I would get it, but my lil' 000-18 is pretty sweet...here's a lil' clip from last week on a early Monday morning, voice shot from several previous nites of performing, but I was in the moment remembering my best friend and bandmate who passed this time last year. We both loved this song, tho I never played it, but just ran thru it a few times. Not polished, and just turned on lil' Canon camera and rolled with it. Sure miss my pal John ...the 000-18 has a saweet lil' tone even with old strings.

** Best with earbudz:

That was fabulous, Eric! Top stuff!

An answer to my mental question - I was wondering how the 000-18 was coming along! Great, isn't it?

My extremely wonderful OM18 Authentic VTS will eat it for breakfast acoustically, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a gig.... Since you first got your 000, I have been thinking I probably should have got one instead of my D18e, I could still trade it, but at the time I thought I had a few too many OMs and 000s. First World problem, eh?

BluesKing777.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
That was fabulous, Eric! Top stuff!

An answer to my mental question - I was wondering how the 000-18 was coming along! Great, isn't it?

My extremely wonderful OM18 Authentic VTS will eat it for breakfast acoustically, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a gig.... Since you first got your 000, I have been thinking I probably should have got one instead of my D18e, I could still trade it, but at the time I thought I had a few too many OMs and 000s. First World problem, eh?

BluesKing777.
* Thank you BK, I'm lovin' this lil' trip-0! ...but it does not outshine my D-18, so if I were you, I'd hold onto to your dread awhile.

** '33 OM18A is sublime for sure, glad your enjoying yours buddy; can i borrow it for a week? I promise not to gig with it.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
* Thank you BK, I'm lovin' this lil' trip-0! ...but it does not outshine my D-18, so if I were you, I'd hold onto to your dread awhile.

** '33 OM18A is sublime for sure, glad your enjoying yours buddy; can i borrow it for a week? I promise not to gig with it.

Yes, sublime is the word for the OM!

And borrowing it? NO, no and NO. Other small problem with it, everyone wants it or to borrow it. And it is worth too much to leave the house, really!

But you can hear a taste of a blues I just peeled off on it - mic is my Neumann KM184 - eq flat, no effect:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/bluesysusie777

Photos of the Smiling Assassin it self:

BluesKing777.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, sublime is the word for the OM!

And borrowing it? NO, no and NO. Other small problem with it, everyone wants it or to borrow it. And it is worth too much to leave the house, really!

But you can hear a taste of a blues I just peeled off on it - mic is my Neumann KM184 - eq flat, no effect:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/bluesysusie777

Photos of the Smiling Assassin it self:

BluesKing777.
Dude yer killin' me with this she's the toney-grail of Martin!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Dude yer killin' me with this she's the toney-grail of Martin!

The Authentic also lives in possibly the most expensive guitar case in the history of man!

I wanted a Hiscox Artist OM case for it to live in and locally they only sell the Hiscox Pro II...So I had an Artist imported and they charged me the same as delivering a guitar, and so did Customs! Worked out to about 3 times the price! And then I got a huge fee from the bank for using my debit card overseas!

But I am secure in the fact that my Authentic in its Hiscox may just survive Armageddon.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 AM

Default OK, thanks for the sound clips

Very nice sound clips. The VTS might not be 'cutting" enough? Could be the tune and the way you played it. Under pick, with other instruments...does it cover the bass?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Very nice sound clips. The VTS might not be 'cutting" enough? Could be the tune and the way you played it. Under pick, with other instruments...does it cover the bass?

Not sure what you mean?

I only play fingerpicking bare fingered solo and the OM18A is just perfect for that. I don’t play with other instruments and really don’t want to.

BluesKing777.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

** Best with earbudz:

@noledog, what a great clip and honor for departed buddy. You don’t need the OM-18A 1933. You sound wonderful right here, right now.

@OP, I’ve had pretty much all of them. There are no bad ones here. The newer 000-18 is lighter braced but narrower at the saddle and a good all rounder. The GE is for certain the warmest and great for a fingerpicker or singer. The 000-18A and OM-18A are the driest, punchiest, powerful guitars that are perfect for blues or country fingerpicking. I would not say warm. After all, it’s the player that makes the tone.

noledog sounds better on his 000-18 than I do on the real deal 1933 OM-18. Buy what you can afford and play it with passion like noledog does.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean?

I only play fingerpicking bare fingered solo and the OM18A is just perfect for that. I don’t play with other instruments and really don’t want to.

BluesKing777.
Thank your for your input. I'm looking for the instrument that will cut "a little" through a small ensemble. That was why I asked the original question. Thread got shifted a bit by noledog's beautiful tribute.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Thank your for your input. I'm looking for the instrument that will cut "a little" through a small ensemble. That was why I asked the original question. Thread got shifted a bit by noledog's beautiful tribute.

OK, I wasn’t sure if you were talking to me or Eric.

But as far as cutting through a small ensemble, I don’t know if either 000s or OM is the guitar. I have a straight braced 59 Gibson LG3 that fits the bill, or a Lowden S35! Perhaps something in maple?

BluesKing777.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
@noledog, what a great clip and honor for departed buddy. You don’t need the OM-18A 1933. You sound wonderful right here, right now.

@OP, I’ve had pretty much all of them. There are no bad ones here. The newer 000-18 is lighter braced but narrower at the saddle and a good all rounder. The GE is for certain the warmest and great for a fingerpicker or singer. The 000-18A and OM-18A are the driest, punchiest, powerful guitars that are perfect for blues or country fingerpicking. I would not say warm. After all, it’s the player that makes the tone.

noledog sounds better on his 000-18 than I do on the real deal 1933 OM-18. Buy what you can afford and play it with passion like noledog does.

* Thank you Jim for your kind and most generous comments!

** Jim your experience with these models is valuable and spot on in your descriptions. I think the OP would do well with a '33 18A if he is playing unplugged in an ensemble. I perform amplified and solo with my lil' 000-18 and it works for me.

*** I like the neck better on the 18A then the GE, and even more on the standard MLO/PA. Jim your '33 18 is lovely, I'd love to sit a few hours with 'er! ...and Scott I agree with what Jim said, there are no bad ones here! All the best to you Scott in your search, thank you and keep us posted on what you get!!

Cheers!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 02-21-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Yep, you're riggt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Not even close. No Collings sounds anything like a Martin. The Collings will be louder than the 000-18GE, way more articulate, much more piano-like in tone, and more unforgiving of sloppy play than any Martin you will touch, even the OM-18A.
A local board member (thanks Carol) gave me the opportunity to play her lovely custom OM 18GE with an adi top. You are correct sir: nothing like the Collings. Now to find an Authentic to play. Anybody in ATL got one for sale?

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion