The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Default "Only played for 10 minutes . . ."

I'm always looking at instruments on Craigslist, here, and a bunch of other websites, and it intrigues me that sellers think it's a good idea to say something like, "Only played for about 10 minutes total, then put it back in the case."

At least to me, that makes the instrument sound like a major sonic dud! I play instruments in stores for longer than that. Say, "I've really taken good care of it" instead!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Right away I ain't trusting that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post
I'm always looking at instruments on Craigslist, here, and a bunch of other websites, and it intrigues me that sellers think it's a good idea to say something like, "Only played for about 10 minutes total, then put it back in the case."

At least to me, that makes the instrument sound like a major sonic dud! I play instruments in stores for longer than that. Say, "I've really taken good care of it" instead!
I read that as "only played for about 10 minutes". . ."before that I was learning to play and trying to keep the cats out of the guitar case, but one peed in it, after I sprayed it with Febreze you can hardly notices the smell"
Old 02-08-2018, 04:17 PM

It may come from online sellers offering brands that do not allow online sales at discount prices. These dealers would say "played for x minutes" to be able to say they were selling a used guitar. Others picked it up in monkey see/monkey do fashion.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Depends upon the guitar.
If it's Rogue or Mitchell who cares.
If it's Martin or Gibson, then it doesn't matter.

Assuming of course, they are telling the truth and 10 minutes is not 10 years.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Only played for 10 minutes . . . by a little old lady, in church on Sunday.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
It may come from online sellers offering brands that do not allow online sales at discount prices. These dealers would say "played for x minutes" to be able to say they were selling a used guitar. Others picked it up in monkey see/monkey do fashion.

Yes. I used to see this for certain major brands—by offering a guitar as “used,” this is a way to sell at under the minimum price, without a warranty.

So others just copied the wording. It wouldn’t keep me from taking a look at a guitar if it were something I was interested in.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post

I hear ya loud and clear on that one! I assume most people are trying their best to be honest, and generally that tends to be the case, but I always assume that with every seller I may have just encountered the one who isn't.

I always ask, "why are you selling it?" If I think the answer is dodgy then I start assuming the same as you: this one must sound like someone strung up a guitar made of wet pumpkin pulp.

Right now I'm talking to a guy on eBay and he seems genuine. He's bought and sold a few guitars so he seems to be similar to me (only not nearly as bad actually, don't go looking at my eBay history please). So I'm starting to think the guy is telling me the truth that the guitar is sweet. He won't say why he's selling it though and that's the only thing holding me back. It could be he's divorcing and doesn't want to talk about his personal trauma, or it could be that he fell out of love with the guitar. If the latter he should say so because I would understand that. I'm really on the fence about it. I don't like buying online like this, but I'm into the kind of guitars now where I don't really have much choice.

More on point: I can't tell you how many times I've played Les Pauls at GC that were in perfect condition, used, and the sales guy said the previous owner played it for an hour and put it away. I actually think that has been true in most cases. Every time I played one of those barely used Les Pauls I ended up thinking it was a less than ideal specimen. Every time. The one I finally ended up buying, that I will never sell, I bought new. It was hidden behind a mass of guitars in a glass case and the sales guy said that no one wanted to play it because it had such a plain top (it's the dullest looking top you can imagine)—every buyer coming through wanted flame tops. He didn't even want to get it for me because he had to move six other guitars out of the way. But I ended up thinking, and still do, that it is the best Les Paul I have ever played. So yeah, people who don't play their guitars for very long after they get them may very well be sitting on an uninspiring piece of expensive wood.

Last edited by Guest 1511; 02-08-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 PM

I've said that, and it was true. I bought several sizes of Taylor (new) when I started and quickly concluded (within 1 hour) that a bad shoulder wouldn't allow me to play the dreadnought size, so I put it back in its case and sold it as "almost unplayed," which was true. I had some pushback from doubters, which was annoying especially when express in my AGF ad thread, but people will be people, after all. Point is, sometimes "almost unplayed" or "only played 10 minutes" means it's like brand new.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Sweet is one of the first adjectives that stop my GAS in its tracks. Who needs another sweet guitar? The flying nun?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 AM

I read it as "it was so bad. . . .that it was only played for 10 minutes".

I've had a few of those guitars.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Musical minimalist

I've seen that a hundred times - and about half of them you look at the fingerboard and there's a years worth of "goo" on it. I guess they were eating KFC during those 10 minutes!

Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Another phrase that discourages me is when a for sale ad States " I'm selling this guitar to raise funds for another instrument"
first of all it's not my concern why they're selling the instrument, and second of all it indicates that the instrument for sale was not good enough for the seller, so he's buying a different instrument.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 AM

Snubbing a guitar because of a description serves no purpose to me. Especially if it is a local Craigslist.

So statements about how much or little a guitar has been played are typically ignored by me. I prefer to focus on photo's of the guitar.

If it interests me, I'll make arrangements to go check it out or contact the seller with my questions.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Another phrase that discourages me is when a for sale ad States " I'm selling this guitar to raise funds for another instrument"
first of all it's not my concern why they're selling the instrument, and second of all it indicates that the instrument for sale was not good enough for the seller, so he's buying a different instrument.
That one doesn't bother me too much. People are always moving up and tastes differ. And some guitars are good for some things but not for others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion