The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 01:06 AM

I’ve got a 0000 Guatemalan/ Adi Martin. It’s my first choice after Brazilian rosewood and produces a just as satisfying sounding guitar if built right. I wished they’d used this on their Authentics. It sounds chimey and bell like, similar to brazilian.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
It's a really pricey upgrade though.
Can some one tell us the current upgrade price for G over I in Martin’s Custom Shop? This will help me confirm the premium I’m paying for my custom later this morning.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:59 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Can some one tell us the current upgrade price for G over I in Martin’s Custom Shop? This will help me confirm the premium I’m paying for my custom later this morning.
I don't have the original custom order sheet for mine. Mine was ordered by a professional in Britain (I don't know who) through Guitar Showcase here in California. Those guys do this kind of thing for a lot of artists. But this artist rejected the build when it showed up due to coloration in the top. Lucky me, I don't care about that stuff.

Anyway, when I pushed back about the price, they explained what all the upgrades cost and I was told that the Guatemalan upgrade was the biggest expense at something like $900. The Adirondack upgrade was next at something like $500, or maybe it was $600. The rosette and inlays rounded out the price tag with a few other little items like special binding. I'm going by memory and third party information, but I think I'm close, because you don't see guitars made with Guatemalan very often and when you do they're usually quite a bit more costly.

Is it worth it? That math is up to each individual. But if you want a better sounding rosewood than EIR, it's about the only game in town other than the rare beast with Brazilian on it, which, as you know, is quite a bit more even than Guatemalan. You could go with Cocobolo, that sounds pretty darned good too, but you will want to listen to how it sounds first: it's got a really dark bass sound and really crisp trebles. It's not as warm as Guatemalan. The G is the warmest sounding rosewood I've played. But honestly, I'm only going off two or three guitars, all of which were Martins.

I think EIR is an excellent tone wood and I also think I'm getting kind of tired of it, and that's why I have a Cocobolo and a Guatemalan guitar instead of one with EIR on it. I almost bought a Taylor made with Brazilian but weirdly I wasn't all that keen on it. I thought it was better than their EIR versions, but I didn't like it as much as the Guatemalan Martin. Martin makes Guatemalan sound amazing. They really know how to use that wood. As long as you're not paying something crazy like $1500 or more for that upgrade, I think you'll be glad you got it.

When you get your guitar, make sure you come back and talk about it. Which model are you getting? A dread?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 AM

Default Guatemalan vs EIR Rosewood

I’m sure we all agree that their is no special magic in any of the tonewoods. The wood Martin is calling Guatemalan Rosewood is very pretty and sounds great to my ears. I owned a particularly sweet Dreadnought with VTS Adi and Guatemalan. However, I ultimately did not keep it because the tone was a bit too sweet for most of the playing I do. It didn’t have as much bass as my D-28 Marquis with EIR and almost too many overtones. It was very difficult to amplify. It was, however, excellent for finger style.

We have to remember that tonewoods are like the colors on a painter’s pallet. One color is not better, they are different. And sometimes, for a piece, only the most lush, rich or vibrant colors will do. Sometimes you just want basic primary colors to tell the story. Sometimes, a mixture of both.

Since I only keep 3 acoustic guitars at my house, I ultimately sold my most “lush” hue and kept the more “useful”, but lovely nonetheless, colors. :-)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
When you get your guitar, make sure you come back and talk about it. Which model are you getting? A dread?
I picked it up this am. It is a “new” late 2016 HD28V with Guat and other upgrades. The dealer was very open about everything. He has a large stock of customs-he’s one of those guys that goes to the factory twice a year and hand picks the wood etc. He personally picked out this Guat and ordered the guitar in April, 2016. He received it in Oct. 2016 and it has sat in his warehouse since. Other than needing new strings, it’s a brand new guitar. As he says, “you get to put the first dent on it”. You can see it on Reno Music’s website which is guitarhotline.com. (Link below) Be sure to click on the photo then scroll through the rest of the shots. IMHO, the back is pretty dramatic. It’s obviously not EIRW.

https://www.guitarhotline.com/martin...acoustic-sold/
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I picked it up this am. It is a “new” late 2016 HD28V with Guat and other upgrades. The dealer was very open about everything. He has a large stock of customs-he’s one of those guys that goes to the factory twice a year and hand picks the wood etc. He personally picked out this Guat and ordered the guitar in April, 2016. He received it in Oct. 2016 and it has sat in his warehouse since. Other than needing new strings, it’s a brand new guitar. As he says, “you get to put the first dent on it”. You can see it on Reno Music’s website which is guitarhotline.com. (Link below) Be sure to click on the photo then scroll through the rest of the shots. IMHO, the back is pretty dramatic. It’s obviously not EIRW.

Wow. that is a beauty! completely worth the upcharge in looks alone. I bet it sounds much sweeter as well. congrats on a super fine guitar!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Gorgeous I love Guat rosewood
Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Cost of Guat upgrade

Dealer tells me the upcharge for Guatemalan over EIRW is $1749 MSRP. He says Maddy is more.

I’m not qualified to judge tone but I can say this guitar has a ringing sustain that lasts forever. Love it.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 PM

I have a 12 fret dread just like davejhs quad o specd out by Gruhns in Nashville. That guitar is completely bonkers. I’ve played the MRW version and all Authentics and I’m not sure any of them topped mine for my tastes. I really want a OOOO version of it but just don’t have the funds right now. All the presence of EIR without all the muddiness to my ears. I think the stock Martin has is it, although I’m not sure how much that is. It’s got it all. Figure and quarter. If that grade stuff is left then I would green light it in almost all situations.

Mark
Old 02-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
I picked it up this am. It is a “new” late 2016 HD28V with Guat and other upgrades.... IMHO, the back is pretty dramatic. It’s obviously not EIRW.

That's a very clean, very classy looking guitar. It just oozes quality. How does it sound? There's conflicting opinions about the bass from G. I saw there's more to it than you get with EIR. I've read other opinions that agree, but just as many who feel it has less than EIR. One thing I can agree and we all seem in sync about is the overtones and sweetness from this wood. I LOVE that sweet sound and the overtones are sublime. I wouldn't want less on this guitar.

You were talking sustain. Yes, loads of that. I can pluck a string and it goes on forever. I'm starting to think Adirondack helps with that because my other guitars have a lot of sustain too and the common denominator is the Adi tops on all of them. Cocobolo sustains for a long time too. I notice mahogany sustains a bit less.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM

My 0000 Gruhn Custom has got a big bass response. If others are not hearing it, I would say it’s just that individual build. I’ve come to believe What’s just as important for tonal response is the build just as much as the woods.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM

Here’s the back of my 0000 Guat

IMG_0672.jpg

Last edited by Dave JH; 02-18-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Guest 1511

Here's what mine looks like:

Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 PM

I also have a GRW/Adi Martin Dread. Excellent guitar. Clear bell like tones. Wish I could still play Dreads though.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Here's what mine looks like:

Oh I really should not have seen this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion