The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I have two of them. One for each guitar. They live full-time behind the nut. I have the Elite and the Hybrid. I slightly prefer the later, but both are stellar. I recommend getting one size larger, so it fits further behind the nut when not in use. Also, I had my tech shrink wrap the arms so that it doesn't chew up the wood over time. See pic below.

I like the idea of the shrink wrapped arms, Eric. Thanks for sharing that.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 AM

+1 on the shrink wrap....I had some clear, so used that.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM

I've been thinking about the Elliot for years. Finally broke down and bought one after I saw used ones sell pretty much for what a new one costs. Figured I couldn't lose much, and was darn tired of "obsessing" over it.

I like mine, it's a nice piece of sculptured metal, and I think it does work better than most capos. I've had just about every one of them.

I'm glad I bought it, although I will continue using my Paige for mandola and banjo. Although, I did use my 1.75" Elliott on my mandola the other night, and it worked fine -- just couldn't get it up close to the fret and play.

The older Paiges -- brass colored -- were OK, and similar to the Elliot in function. I don't like the newer ones, they look cruddy and are a little sloppy. So, when I couldn't find my old brass Paige, I went ahead and bought the Elliot.

Again, I like it, but unless you have some extra money around, or equipment to sell, I'd be happy with a Paige or Shubb.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaleblue View Post
I've just gone through the checkout process to find they want over $60 for shipping to the UK. I think this makes it a deal breaker
That is pretty silly - in fact it means they don't want our business.

I recently ordered another Blue Chip pick, which has been in transit since 31st March. Arrived yesterday, but held by Royal mail pending y payment of a further £18.35 customs and handling charge. I'm angry - usually they aren't picked up by import control AND because import value (under £36) should not be subject to charges.

No US imports for me for a while (even stocked up on strings).
Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM

'Yes, I'll take that shiny $200 chromium-plated, hand-finished hammer please; it's obviously so much better at hammering nails than that one for $20...'

Last edited by AndrewG; 04-17-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
That is pretty silly - in fact it means they don't want our business.
Hi SM…

I wouldn't presume so. It's a husband and wife team - he builds and she takes care of business. They are a nice couple noted for friendliness and great service (in addition to great capos).

It seems appropriate that an inquiry was sent to ask about other shipping options.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
<snipped> If I were a carpenter ... <snipped>
Hmmm, that gives me an idea for a song.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi SM…

I wouldn't presume so. It's a husband and wife team - he builds and she takes care of business. They are a nice couple noted for friendliness and great service (in addition to great capos).

It seems appropriate that an inquiry was sent to ask about other shipping options.

The sort of business I'd love to patronise. I'll post back if I hear anything.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
...It's a husband and wife team - he builds and she takes care of business. They are a nice couple noted for friendliness and great service...
Big +1! Phil and Connie are great folks.

To the OP, you can always keep your eye open for used ones as a cheaper alternative.

The shipping issue on the new ones may just be that they don't do a lot of international sales and have not learned how to get that done more economically.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:18 PM

If I spend thousands of dollars on an acoustic guitar, $150 or so for a capo doesn't seem out of line. I play bluegrass; we (bluegrass guitarists) use capos extensively. Having been in jams and band situations where guitarists used other capos, I am firmly convinced that an Elliott is worth the money.

Like TW mentioned, you can bend strings while capo'ed, which is a huge deal for me. Also, I can slide the capo up and down the neck without needing to re-tune. It seems like guitarists using other capos are constantly re-tuning, which can be frustrating for an audience.

I have used a Paige in the past. they are just OK IMO. They have a tendency to slide around more; they just don't seat as well as the Elliott.

I really like the Mckinney; the push button adds nothing, IMO.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi SM…

So, would you say that the $60 shipping charge is incorrect?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:20 AM

Interestingly, the shipping stays the same if you're placing an order for two.

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 04-18-2015, 04:23 AM

I mistakenly thought this was a discussion about Elliot 'style' capos.............My bad, I deleted the Quick Draw comment because it (obvious to me NOW) doesn't belong here. I'll try to pay attention in the future.

Last edited by Mcrafty1; 04-19-2015 at 04:40 AM. Reason: clearification, rectifaction
Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 AM

+1 for the Paige. Their 12-string capo works pretty well, too.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So, would you say that the $60 shipping charge is incorrect?
Hi SM…

I don't know. If I wanted one, I would have called (or emailed as the original poster says they did) to see what could be worked out.

Having talked with the Elliotts before, to modify a capo I planned to order, I certainly would not have concluded they didn't want my business,
nor thought that they didn't care.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion