The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2010, 02:52 PM

http://www.mcilroyguitars.co.uk/extra
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemcilroy View Post
Dermot, you're like a forum ninja - hiding quietly in the shadows waiting for the opportune moment to strike!

I missed that part about strings the first time I read through your new site a few weeks back. From the advice on your site, I guess it would be safe to put DADGAD specific mediums if the guitar stays in DADGAD. However, if i wanted to tune up and down from DADGAD and standard 50/50, I would need to have lights?

By the way, even now I'm still so excited and feel like a kid waiting for Xmas to come. I've been visiting my friend and playing his A25 almost every week for the past 3 months. To be honest, I think he's getting pretty annoyed at me. Do you ever email build pictures or is that forbidden like seeing the bride before the wedding ceremony?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 AM

The problem with Cedar top guitars is not that they are lighter braced, more heavily braced, braced differently or whatever, the problem is the Cedar. Think of Cedar like a sort of onion, it’s has layers and the bridge of the guitar is glued to the top layer. If you put too much stress on the bridge, either with strings or poor humidification and if the bridge is allowed to dry out too much and it starts to curl up, then no amount of bracing will prevent a bridge coming off. It’s all down to care, light strings, don’t let the guitar get too dry, lemon oil will help retain moisture in the bridge as well as fingerboard.
Now, the problem with photos is that everyone wants them and we just find it too difficult to get the time, not just to take the pics, but to upload, send out emails, etc. I need a secretary
Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemcilroy View Post
The problem with Cedar top guitars is not that they are lighter braced, more heavily braced, braced differently or whatever, the problem is the Cedar. Think of Cedar like a sort of onion, it’s has layers and the bridge of the guitar is glued to the top layer. If you put too much stress on the bridge, either with strings or poor humidification and if the bridge is allowed to dry out too much and it starts to curl up, then no amount of bracing will prevent a bridge coming off. It’s all down to care, light strings, don’t let the guitar get too dry, lemon oil will help retain moisture in the bridge as well as fingerboard.
Now, the problem with photos is that everyone wants them and we just find it too difficult to get the time, not just to take the pics, but to upload, send out emails, etc. I need a secretary
That's a pretty good analogy. Would cedar tops guitars benefit more from being kept in higher (50-60%) humidity vs the normal 45% since it seems that low humidity is the big killer?

No worries about the photos...I was halfway joking. I would much rather you spend more time making the guitar than taking time away from building to worry about pics.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM

That's what I'm sayin'. Ask the man a question, and he provides a quick and thoughtful answer. Thanks, Dermot! Now, where did I put that lemon oil...
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1m View Post
Would cedar tops guitars benefit more from being kept in higher (50-60%) humidity vs the normal 45% since it seems that low humidity is the big killer?
Actually they would but I know in many parts of the world that can be difficult. Think of 45% as the minimum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion