The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM

Default String scratch

Everyone. I play a Taylor 210 CE K Dlx. Mainly finger style. I play through a Ceriatone Dum8le copy (it’s the only amp I have). In the loop I run a tuner, a reverb, a delay and a looper.

The sound is pretty good, however, when I move up and down the fret board, the sound of my fingers on the strings is amplified, and it’s pretty loud.

Is there anything I can do about this, other than work on my obvious poor form?

Different strings? Different amp? Noise suppressor?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Semi flatwound strings, such as SIT Silencers. Your tone will be more dull, and the strings feel weird. Sharp almost, like small sharp edges at times.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Reduction of string noise is one of the things Elixir strings do best, longevity notwithstanding. Start with the Nanowebs, if you really want the heavy duty effect, try the Polywebs.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Default string noise

Yep, Elixers or any of the coated strings.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAxe View Post
Reduction of string noise is one of the things Elixir strings do best, longevity notwithstanding. Start with the Nanowebs, if you really want the heavy duty effect, try the Polywebs.
Right. The Polywebs, in particular, will certainly banish a lot of those pesky higher frequencies. They'll also banish a lot of the tone, but for noise reduction they're probably your best bet.

whm
Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 PM

Incidentally, when I saw the thread title "String scratch," I assumed that you were having a problem with string ends scratching up the headstock a little bit. Which can happen. The noise created by playing is more commonly referred to as "string squeak."

In addition to experimenting with coated strings, you might also try working with the tone controls on the amp a little bit. You can also take your pedals with you to a music store and try running your setup through some of the other amps they have there. If you find something that sounds better to you, save your pennies and buy the better amp when you can afford it.

whm
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM

All great suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 PM

On more suggestion...
Finger Ease. https://www.amazon.com/Fingerease-20.../dp/B0002GW3Y8

I use this stuff on all my electrics but for whatever reason I have refrained from using on my acoustics. Probably fearing that too much of it will shorten string life. I may test it soon on a set of aging Elixirs to see if it helps.It will reduce the friction and some of the squeal, but your strings will feel more slippery.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion