The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I am not sure how much of a tonal difference the bridge pins make, but I just don't like the idea of plastic bridge pins so I replace them. Not sure if Martin does it purely because of the cost. I think my Collings OM1-T also has plastic bridge pins. I guess the binding on both is plastic too so I guess I should just get over it.
As Todd writes, the Collings OM1-T has tortoise style plastic pins. Presumably this is for looks, and not for economy. Collings OM1s and OM2s have ebony pins.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
There's plastic, and then there's plastic. I hold an unfavorable view of the soft, slotted thermoset plastic pins that are standard with nearly all acoustic guitars. They deform easily and lead to unncessary bridge plate wear. I replace those immediately.

I favor light weight pins and avoid heavy pins. That rules out bone or fossil ivory on my guitars. I use high quality plastic pins like those from Antique Acoustics or Waverly, or ebony pins, also Waverly. And more importantly I ALWAYS use solid pins and slotted bridges. It is simply the better way.
+1...but I do like the custom bone pins Bob Colossi did for my D-18 that match it's ambered top. However, I'm keeping plastic in my 000-18 and will replace them with the high quality plastic Todd mentioned; I like the Galalith pins offered at Stew-mac.

eric
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I've retained plastic on all Martins except the one I gig with. I change strings on it more than the others and when I played out more the plastic got misshaped a good bit. Bone pins were installed and they have held up nicely.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM

I am not a fan of plastic bridge pins in any guitar. When I bought my Taylor 150e the first thing I did was order a set of ebony pins with pearl dots. Plastic is what it is. A cheap substitute.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 PM

What about Tusq pins? How do they compare top the stock plastic pins? Are Tusq pins light-weight?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
For those of you who have stock thermoplastic slotted bridge pins on your guitars, and the ends of the pins are starting to get chewed up a little bit, there's an easy fix that doesn't entail replacing or even trimming the original pins: what I do is simply turn the slotted pins around so that the unslotted back of the pun is now pointed towards the headstock.

That's it. It's easier than easy, it costs NOTHING, and it will get years more service out of the pins.
Any photos, Wade? I'm having difficulty picturing how the string enters into this equation - where and how does it fit in the unslotted pin hole along with what is now effectively an unslotted pin?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-20-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Tusq pins don't weigh any more than the hard plastic pins that Todd and I favor weigh, at least so far as I can tell.

whm
Old 02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I did replace the plastic bridge pins on a OM-15 Martin w/ wooden pins, and then went right back to the OEM pins.

Conversely, my custom (LAGS) Martin OO-15m came w/ Black Ebony pins and they haven't made me desire plastic pins,...
Old 02-20-2018, 02:29 PM

I recently changed the ebony pins on my furch OM for waverley plastic ones, mainly for aesthetic reasons. But to my ears they definately seem to have changed the tone, hard to describe how but slightly better note seperation and more volume. Really nice quality pins and I am enjoying the change.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
Definitely not all hype. I've tried them all and the ebony and bone albeit have a minimal affect on the tone....but are much more durable than the cheap plastic pins Martin and others put on. That is a cost thing not a quality thing.

My experience exactly. The plastic Pins don't take too long to start showing deformity, so yes, I think the plastic is a cost saving measure.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Well, a new D-42 lists at $7299 and retails at a big box store for circa $5799 ... how much would it go for with faux ivory pins instead of the "cheap" plastic ones Martin puts on it?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM

I ordered some bone pins from Bob Colosi yesterday. They will go on my 000-28 at the next string change. I'll report my experience with them after that.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:43 PM

After I made the suggestion that people try reversing their slotted plastic pins when their ends start getting chewed up, JayBee asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Any photos, Wade? I'm having difficulty picturing how the string enters into this equation - where and how does it fit in the unslotted pin hole along with what is now effectively an unslotted pin?
Sorry, no photos. But, yes, by turning the pin around you turn it into an unslotted pin. The string runs along the pin to the bottom, where the ball end goes.

I've never done this with brand new guitars, only when the guitar has been getting used for a few years, for long enough for the bottoms of the pins to start showing wear. By that point there tends to be a bit of wear in the sides of the pinholes through the bridge, top and bridgeplate, as well. So there isn't any problem getting the string to fit up against the pin; if anything, it usually seems to improve the fit.

The next time you change strings on a guitar you've owned for a while, try turning around some or all of the slotted stock pins. They ought to fit just fine.

whm
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 AM

This is a fun thread. I'm just waiting for Pitar to weigh in with some existential discourse on the pin issue. But hey, if Glenn and Todd and Wade like plastic pins, then I like plastic pins too.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 02-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After I made the suggestion that people try reversing their slotted plastic pins when their ends start getting chewed up, JayBee asked:

Sorry, no photos. But, yes, by turning the pin around you turn it into an unslotted pin. The string runs along the pin to the bottom, where the ball end goes.

I've never done this with brand new guitars, only when the guitar has been getting used for a few years, for long enough for the bottoms of the pins to start showing wear. By that point there tends to be a bit of wear in the sides of the pinholes through the bridge, top and bridgeplate, as well. So there isn't any problem getting the string to fit up against the pin; if anything, it usually seems to improve the fit.

The next time you change strings on a guitar you've owned for a while, try turning around some or all of the slotted stock pins. They ought to fit just fine.

whm
My pin-bridge guitars have all had the pin-holes slotted and I'm using solid pins. But, before they were slotted, the manoeuvre you're describing would have been impossible in any of them - the string and reversed pin would not have gone in the hole for the pin to sit correctly. It might work on old guitars with worn pin-holes - I'll take your word on that - but on my guitars in the first few years of their life? Nah!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-22-2018 at 01:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion