The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2018, 07:18 AM

Default Switch from Bose L1 Model 1 to L1 Compact?

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice here. I have a Bose L1 Model 1 with 2 bass bins that I use for a solo gig 1 or 2 times a month. The gig is in a restaurant where I am definitely back ground entertainment. Thinking about switching out to a Compact system mostly for the weight and load in ease. Nervous that I've been spoiled by the sound of the Model 1 and will miss the extra low end.

Has anybody made this switch & if so, what are your impressions?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

A restaurant? In my experience, you will have plenty of low end.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I have an L1 Model 2 with the big B2 and the Compact and I switch back and forth depending on the venue.

Selfishly from my point of view on stage I prefer the Compact. I like the tightness and focused nature of the sound. The big L1 is so spacious and spready for lack of a better description. The big one fills larger spaces better because of that but I still get plenty of coverage from the Compact in the places I use it and plenty of low end with just guitar and vocals.

I do notice a difference in low end when I'm using my Porchboard, a low end rhythm instrument I tap with my foot but I don't use that much anymore and never in the smaller places that are suited to the Compact.

And as you mentioned the ease of transport, set up and tear down is great with the Compact.

I use the Compact when I can and the big one when I have to!

I also use the Bose T1 mixer with both so that makes switching back and forth very easy.

Matt
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM

Thanks Matt, that was helpful. I'm thinking the Compact will suit this venue really well and my back will appreciate not lugging that Model 1 base around.

Phil
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 AM

I switched from an old L1 classic and and 2 B1 s... only ever used one B1 .. to 2 compacts... only ever used one... so now just one Compact or at some point my Space Staion Center Point... I still use the T1 a lot (have a spare just in case)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdivs View Post
Thanks Matt, that was helpful. I'm thinking the Compact will suit this venue really well and my back will appreciate not lugging that Model 1 base around.

Phil
You're welcome!

I think the L1 Compact is a very handy thing to have. To me there isn't anything else on the market that gives me as good a combo of sound quality, coverage, versatility and portability. There are things that may do one or even two of those things better but the Compact is a great mix of all of those.

I had been using an L1 for q while when the Compact first came out. It took me a while to get one and then it took me a while to fully trust it. Why would I use it when I had the big L1 and knew what it could do?

I had double hernia surgery and the Compact fit just at my weight restriction while I recovered so I used it for all of my shows during that time and really came to appreciate just how much sound this little thing puts out!

And like I said, I like the sound on stage. I'm 6'4" so my ear is right up by the little speaker column when I'm using both extensions. This can be a bad thing if I'm not smart about how I set up but when I'm set up properly I hear myself more clearly than I do with the big L1.

I played a little coffee shop yesterday and the Compact is so nice for those shows!

Matt
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM

I’ve used both the large, and the compact version of the Bose. And ended up buying the L1S which is the midsize version. For indoor use, the C is really perfect but I play outdoors on occasion, and I appreciate the extra oomph of the S. I can easily play to 100+ people milling around in a pretty big space.

If I had the compact I’d use it a lot, but now for small rooms I drag in my Fishman mini, which works just fine. The Model II is too big for me to move around. For bigger stages would be connecting into the house PA.

Last edited by gfsark; 01-13-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional
Old 01-28-2018, 05:06 PM

I own a L1 model II and now also a Compact. They're voiced identical (proven by the fact that they're both intended to work with the T1 EQ presets). To me, their biggest difference (apart from the obvious) is nearfield sound pressure. An L1 emits mids/highs from 24 drivers, a Compact from just 6. The Compact is more deafening when you stand next to it.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 AM

IN my experience I prefer the Compact in smaller venues. The big L1 is superb and built like a tank but it is a bit overkill for some places and I prefer the sound of the Compact. And sound is what it is all about.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification