The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Ryan Admas live sound on some vids

I'm a massive fan of Ryan Adams but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this aspect of his live sound.

On many of his live performances he has a mic on the guitar but he sings very far away from the vocal microphone. What kind of microphone would allow for this kind of awesome sound without picking up everything else?

An example of what I am trying to describe is here:

Ryan Adams:
Old 10-13-2015, 04:35 PM

It looks like a condenser microphone. These are fine if you have a great sound man but for most people, it would be a nightmare to use. Condenser microphones tend to used for recording so they are able to still pick up the guitar when Ryan moves further away from it. His actual pickup sounds like a normal UST.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 PM

Thank you for sending me down a nice little Ryan Adams youtube rabbit hole for a little while there. Much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It looks like a condenser microphone. These are fine if you have a great sound man but for most people, it would be a nightmare to use. Condenser microphones tend to used for recording so they are able to still pick up the guitar when Ryan moves further away from it. His actual pickup sounds like a normal UST.
Thanks. I take it the vocal microphone is a condenser also? He sings very far away from this mic also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Thank you for sending me down a nice little Ryan Adams youtube rabbit hole for a little while there. Much appreciated.
Sorry, but hope it was time well spent. LOL
Old 10-14-2015, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

His guitar sound has been horribly processed in some way, and is certainly not they way it should sound through a condensor.

I have to disagree with the comments about a condensor mic requireing a good sound man.

In my experience you set it up, play/sing from about two+ feet away. Set EQ and fx to zero.

Go.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
His guitar sound has been horribly processed in some way, and is certainly not they way it should sound through a condensor.

I have to disagree with the comments about a condensor mic requireing a good sound man.

In my experience you set it up, play/sing from about two+ feet away. Set EQ and fx to zero.

Go.

Agreed. I think a lot of his videos undergo some kind of post show editing because they either sound to good to be true or they sound over processed. This is not to decry his ability - which is immense, but I was just wondering re the set up.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Go.
I am not trying to be difficult but if it was that easy, almost everyone would use a condenser mic on stage. Dynamic microphones can be that easy for mic'ing a guitar but condenser microphones pic up quite a bit of sound and can feedback very easily. There's a reason why you only see them being used with a solo performer or in a blue grass band where no pickups are used and the sound man knows what he is doing.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 AM

Luckily I don't have the knowledge to enter into the debate about using condensers on stage. However, I have been looking at a few condenser microphones: Sennheiiser 965 and they are showing that as being used in a band situation because it has a tight polar pattern?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am not trying to be difficult but if it was that easy, almost everyone would use a condenser mic on stage. Dynamic microphones can be that easy for mic'ing a guitar but condenser microphones pic up quite a bit of sound and can feedback very easily. There's a reason why you only see them being used with a solo performer or in a blue grass band where no pickups are used and the sound man knows what he is doing.
Hi, I play acoustic guitar (that's why I'm on this forum).

I play to listening audiences only, and whilst my bluegrass activities are on hold at present - it is solo, duo and trio acoustic music that I thought we were discussing here.

Yes, condensers are not for rock bands or for noisy/rowdy audiences - I don't do that stuff.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 AM

I don't know his vocal abilities (strength/loudness), but I know from running my open mics that some performers have fantastic projection, and can be 6" to even 12" back from a dynamic mic (I have both Shure SM58 and Sennheiser e835 on stage) and still get the sound into the system well. (But the soundboard man has to adjust the gain as needed).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-15-2015, 11:13 AM

It's ALWAYS time well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
Sorry, but hope it was time well spent. LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification