The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

so whats the consensus of the bodyrez affect on a passive k&k?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 PM

I am considering selling my LR Baggs venue, Ditto Mic looper and Harmony singer in order to buy the TC Helicon Play acoustic. Do you think this would be a good idea, it would be usable for me but I don't want to compromise tone.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

just got the bodyrez and have been trying to decide whether to keep it or not.

i mainly play a martin hd-28 with a k&k mini. i go into a baggs venue
and out to an aer 60/3. i then line out from the aer to a QSC 10. needless to say
i have been satisfied with this set up until......i read about the bodyrez on this forum.

i got it about two hours ago and have tried every combination i can think of.
the best natural acousticl tone seems to be guitar into bodyrez into aer .etc to qsc.

the problem is i lose the power boost not using the venue and also the tuner
feature. this isn't that big of a deal as i mostly play solo anyway.

there's not a whole lot of difference going from the bodyrez into the venue and then the aer, and also the signal is stronger going throught the venue,

after a while you don't know what you're hearing, but i have figured out the bodyrez does warm up the tone and adds body as the name implies.

my equipment is already good but i'm one of those gear addicts who has to try everything.
i also have a taylor 314ce and i noticed a nice warming up of the tone on it. the aer is a sweet amp anyway but i continue trying to enhance. need to stay off the forum.

guess i'm gonna keep the bodyrez. the average listener wouldn't know the difference. i've been playing for 45 years and could hardly make
the decision myself.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 AM

I bought the Bodyrez and I took it back the next day because I found it to nothing spectacular. In fact I used to have what was called an Ashdown acoustic pedal and that was, I feel, pretty much the same if not better.

The Bodyrez seemed to me to be just an effect and I can't really say it made me smile. I exchanged it for a decent guitar strap - much more useful.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

the bodyrez isn't a dramatic change and the audience wouldn't know
the difference. Its enough of a change when i a/b it that i kept mine.

the tone is fuller and warmer is all i can say. and thats using it with a redeye preamp.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
the bodyrez isn't a dramatic change and the audience wouldn't know
the difference. Its enough of a change when i a/b it that i kept mine.

the tone is fuller and warmer is all i can say. and thats using it with a redeye preamp.
With its 1MOhm Input Impedance, have you tried going directly into the TC BodyRez by eliminating the RedEye preamp from your signal chain?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

you know, i've tried every combination i can think of and the best to my ears is redeye and bodyrez. doesnt seem to matter if i go into the bodyrez first or the redeye.

something is missing when one or the other is eliminated from the chain. i've read explanations about too much in the chain etc. and i just know what i hear and prefer.

i got the redeye so i could have another guitar player if desired going through the same system. as a solo gig i could eleiminate the bodyrez or the redeye and my world wouldn't stop, but why would i want to? once you get the set-up down its pretty simple.

i could eliminate both and go straight into the aer, and out to the Qsc 10 but my whole quest is to find the best tone with a reasonably simple set-up. i don't mind taking a ittle longer to set up because the majority of my time is spent playing, and i want to hear what pleases me.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 AM

My testing with five different guitars and pickups

Old 10-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyenik View Post
My testing with five different guitars and pickups

Thank you for doing this! I need to try one in person but what I always hear with the BodyRez demoes is a thinning of the tone the higher the knob is turned up. It's odd in that it seems to make the piezo quack go away, creating a more natural tone, but it eliminates the warmth and bass/fullness of the original pickup tone. It seems to me that there's a sweet spot.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:02 AM

I was bored yesterday so I went to the guitar shop to start doing some experimentation for a possible Fishman Piezo Bridge install on a possible upcoming electric guitar, I paired the Bodyrez pedal with a PRS P22 with the piezo bridge.
On its own and through the electric amp (Fender Twin Reverb) the piezo bridges are not the most accurate acoustic tone, but I found that improved instantly when I switched to playing through an acoustic amp.

The addition of the Bodyrez to this really made a difference to make it sound more like a real acoustic guitar, of course not completely as for a start there was no wound G string, but IMO way more acoustic-like then I expected. As in this case its basically an effect, i didn't feel so bad about cranking the level too high, although there is definitely a sweet spot about 2pm that seems to be similar to what you guys who've tested it with acoustic guitars have been saying.

Unfortunately when playing the P22 with the piezo bridge and with the Bodyrez through an electric amp, the Bodyrez difference was only very subtle and to me didn't create enough improvement here to be worth it as the sound through the electric amp is already a lot lot further away from an acoustic guitar sound and to be fair, wasn't that great.

It turns out the Bodyrez isn't a magic "turn any signal into an acoustic sound" pedal, but its not supposed to be.
It has convinced me that i'll put a Fishman piezo bridge in my hopefully soon to be built electric guitar, and I'll definitely get a Bodyrez pedal to use on the piezo signal which i'll feed into an acoustic amp or pa/powered speaker.

I hope this helps anyone who may have been thinking along these lines.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification