The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi TrueBaDoor,

You like what you like. Jumbo guitars are cool and if you are a big guy, then there is no down side.

For me, I would never trade my Collings OM1A for any Taylor I own or have ever played, but that's just my preference. I like my Taylors, too, just not as much.

- Glenn
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Personally, no way!

But it's not me! If you like and are more comfortable with the Taylor, then absolutely! No point keeping a guitar just because. If it doesn't fit you, or make you want to play it, move it for one that does.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM

PM sent, I have a mint 615ce jumbo in all black, made in 2010 but purchased as NOS just last October.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM

No, ney, non, nyet, nein, no, no no
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 07-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBaDoor View Post
Hi AGF,

I've recently realized that I'm much more comfortable playing large guitars than small. I'm tall with very long arms and true jumbo sized guitars (~17 inch lower bout) put my body in the correct playing position, versus smaller guitars.

My main axe is a near mint 2008 Collings 0001...and I'm thinking about trading it for a jumbo. I've actually got it posted in the classifieds section now for a trade, but I've also been digging around my local guitar shops, just in case AGF doesn't pan out. One shop owner offered to trade me a new 2014 Taylor 618e for the Collings 0001. If I can't get a good trade through AGF, should I do it?

I definitely want a jumbo, but it feels weird trading a "boutique-ish" guitar for a guitar from a giant company...is this just me being crazy? Any specific thoughts about the 2014 618e? Should I hold out for a Taylor Grand Orchestra with upgraded woods or something?

Your wisdom would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I don't really see what your physical stature has to do with the guitar size you choose to play. Surely one chooses guitar size depending on the sort of sound/tonality you are seeking.

However, you have decideed that you desire a larger guitar. Fair enough.

Why not get a larger Collings guitar ?

I do not care for Taylors and love Collings so my opinion might be biased.

Earlier this week I traded a National Style "O" Deluxe for a National Estrella Deluxe because I no longer play the Style "O" and wanted an Estralita (a cheaper model).

The dealer took a straight swap, and will make money out of the deal but I've got what I wanted.

Do what makes you feel happy.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM

yes if it sounded better. I might ask for cash if the dollar value was ridiculously far apart. or I might even cave in if I really liked the guitar and the other party was strict on trading 1 for 1.

basically I would trade a custom shop martin for an Ibanez if I thought the latter sounded better and I really thought it was a "lifer."

but there are plenty of taylors that are great though. although most aren't as valuable $$$-wise as most new collings.... $$$ isn't the only value an instrument has.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post

As far as guitars go, both Collings and Taylor are premimum brands so it's not like trading a Mercedes for a Volkswagon.
Exactly, so it really comes down to what the OP will actually use.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:00 AM

Count me among those that wouldn't. I've never played a guitar that sounds any better than my Collings D2H.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 AM

find what you like, line up the values (at least somewhat) and make a deal...or sell it, get the funds and buy what you want..if the collings that you have isn't for you, find what is and go about getting it, using the funds from the collings or the collings as your currency..
Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM

As always on this forum asking others what's right for you is a bad idea and totally irrelevant. Take your Collings with you and compare it to the guitar you are considering. You will answer your own question in short order. Good luck.

Last edited by SOR; 07-24-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM

Since you asked if "I" would ever trade a Collins for a Taylor theme answer is a RESOUNDING NO

Last edited by terrapin; 07-23-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Guest 1511

1. Offering it up for trade significantly narrows your likelyhood of success. You have to match up with someone who has exactly what you want who also wants what you have. Simply sell it and use the cash to hunt down the particular Taylor you desire.

2. Why not sell it? If something else will make you happier then what's the issue, really?

Last edited by Guest 1511; 07-23-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:21 AM

Unless I was just totally awed by the Taylor, I would keep trying to sell the Collings and then once sold, shop around for another guitar that suited really me.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Default trade

I cannot imagine the tone of a Taylor being superior to a Collings, but if YOUR ears indicate so, then trade.
I disagree with Elmicko that both Taylor and Collings are 'premium' builders.
Collings is far above Taylor in build, build quality, and materials.
The result is a superior tone.
Collings are truly 'hand made' whereas Taylors are 'assembly-line' built.
I realize these comments may upset some Taylor lovers, but if you have ever visited the respective factories, you can SEE the difference. (Yes, I have visited both!)
Just my 2 cents.....
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 AM

I personally can imagine a Taylor sounding better than many Collings because mine does. (Yes, it's a gem of a mid 90's Taylor) And before people tell me to get my ears checked, I can also so that my Langejans sounds better than my Taylor. (and so does the Goodall I'm demo'ing, and both for different reasons)

So that being said, it's not brand v. brand. Ultimately, it will be specific guitar v. specific guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, collings, jumbo, taylor, trade