The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Your USA made takes a LOT off the table. Larrivee is worth a look for sure, though.

JD
Definitely this. A stellar guitar. There is one on sale at Long and McQuade, Steeles Avenue location, Toronto, Canada. Used $899. Probably hard for you to get to the US. I have no spare buckage or I would have grabbed it last week.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
I really love my Martin OM-1. Great all-arounder and I love the sapele sound (similar to mahogany, but slightly brighter). If you can deal with the stratabond neck it's a good value.

I'd also give the Seagull Maritime SWS Folk a good look. All solid wood, small body, Canadian made, and the price is definitely right;
I'm loving my Martin OM 1 as well. I looked at all the Godin family guitars and IMHO they are fine guitars but the Martin, well it just sounded better. I was looking at a Larrivee OM 02 and 03 and the Martin just has a tone the others didn't. Larrivee make great guitars I just preferred the Martin!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number008 View Post
I'm searching online for them (Larrivee 00) and there aren't that many. If anyone knows of any available please give me a point in the right direction.
Wildwood Music in Ohio always seems to have a nice collection of Larrivées on stock, especially customs. I think the Custom 3 Series page is what you would be most interested in given your price concerns:

Custom 03 Larrivées Link

Looks like they have some nice 00s available (though a bit over your budget). I have never purchased form them, but have read very positive reviews from others on the forum who have. Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 AM

I have a small body I use for gigs in "questionable" venues, it's a Martin 000-R16GTE...it's a great sounding little guitar, though I didn't like the Fishman aura electronics. I swapped in an LR Baggs Anthem system and I absolutely love it. Great tone, the wood has aged beautifully, not a problem in the world with it. I picked it up used a few years ago for $600 and paid around $175 for the Baggs electronics and put them in myself. I also have a 000-28EC and a Taylor 912, it doesn't sound quite as good as either of those, but it was also less than half the price when brand new - they were in the $1600 range, I believe.

If you don't have an issue with buying used it might be one to consider. You can also find Taylor 412s for a little over a grand from what I've seen, they're also quite nice.

Another suggestion would be a Breedlove C25sr/sre, they're assembled overseas but set up and tested at the same factory in Oregon that Breedlove builds their American series in. They're a little bigger than the others, but they're also $999 new with a nice hardshell case, excellent bang for your buck.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM

Another vote for Larrivee. I have an OM-03MT, and have owned and played other Larrivees as well. The best deal on the 03 series is of course used .... if you can find one. The Larrivee Forum is a great place to keep an eye out.

In the used market, you can also find a broader spectrum of Martins and Breedloves. My #1 right now is a Breedlove limited edition that is just stunning in tone and appearance. But new, it goes for $1.5k. Still a bargain given the nature of the instrument though.

You may also look around for used Tacomas. The company is gone, but the guitars are still there. I used to play a lot of Tacomas, and they are real sleepers. They were probably underpriced new. Used specimens are becoming rather rare, but you can still get a used Tacoma Chief for less than a grand.

You may want to expand a search into Japanese-crafted instruments. There are some Yamahas and Epiphone master series that may be worth a look. Yairi can be interesting, but I have become disillusioned with their use of laminate on higher price instruments.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 AM

So it seems like the verdict is Larrivee or Martin.

It looks like I could get a new 00 or 000 in either case for around $1100.

If I want a parlor, I could get a new Larrivee for even less.

When it comes to used, there are plenty of offerings for each.

So please weigh in. I realize that Larrivee is not Martin, but sometimes I think it's wise not to dwell on brand especially when it come to the low-end offering from manufacturers. For example, I would prefer a fully-loaded Chevy to a bare-bones Cadillac if the prices were the same. I guess my question is: Does that logic apply here?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So it seems like the verdict is Larrivee or Martin.

It looks like I could get a new 00 or 000 in either case for around $1100.

If I want a parlor, I could get a new Larrivee for even less.

When it comes to used, there are plenty of offerings for each.

So please weigh in. I realize that Larrivee is not Martin, but sometimes I think it's wise not to dwell on brand especially when it come to the low-end offering from manufacturers. For example, I would prefer a fully-loaded Chevy to a bare-bones Cadillac if the prices were the same. I guess my question is: Does that logic apply here?
I wouldn't say that Larrivee gives up anything to Martin, they are just different. With Martin there are many, many different models to choose from - less so with Larrivee. Larrivee uses all solid wood in all their guitars -even the entry level ones. It should come down to which guitar YOU like best in terms of desirable sound and comfort in playing it....
Fender Baja Tele
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
I wouldn't say that Larrivee gives up anything to Martin, they are just different. With Martin there are many, many different models to choose from - less so with Larrivee. Larrivee uses all solid wood in all their guitars -even the entry level ones. It should come down to which guitar YOU like best in terms of desirable sound and comfort in playing it....
Indeed. Larrivee's design is pretty unique. Jean Larrivee started out building classical guitars, and some of the engineering elements and tone cross over. Folks describe Larrivees as being more balanced than most other guitars, and having a certain "liquid" quality to the sustain.

Words always fail at describing sounds though. You can stream samples of most models here.

Martins, to my ears, tend to have a stronger attack profile than a Larrivee, but of course that will vary from one model to the next. Listen with your ears.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
So please weigh in. I realize that Larrivee is not Martin, but sometimes I think it's wise not to dwell on brand especially when it come to the low-end offering from manufacturers.
If your want a Martin, buying a Larrivee isnt going to cure that Martin GAS. If your open minded your going to love a Larrivee. If your want a 00/000 buying a single 0 probably isn't going to cure that GAS either. (Just a disclaimer)

A Larrivee is going to have some nicer appointments unless its a custom order Martin(LA Guitars, MFG etc). Larrivee's have wood body bindings, where the Martins 15's have no binding. Larrivees also have bound ebony fingerboards and ebony bridges. Solid wood throughout, not the plastic stuff that Martin will sneak in on some models.

Larrivees have a flatter finger board, which some don't like. Others love it. When people play my guitar I point it out after they play, but before I do people usually claim they love the neck/feel.

Tone wise they're very different. I'm terrible at describing tone/sound but Martin's are more vintage bass heavy sounding, where Larrivee's have a modern even tone.

Both will have about the same resale value, with the Martin probably being a faster sell. (High end Larrivees don't have great resale)

Larrivee's are very well respected. Great fit and finish, well built and great bang for the buck.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitco View Post
If your want a Martin, buying a Larrivee isnt going to cure that Martin GAS. ...

A Larrivee is going to have some nicer appointments unless its a custom order Martin(LA Guitars, MFG etc). Larrivee's have wood body bindings, where the Martins 15's have no binding. Larrivees also have bound ebony fingerboards and ebony bridges. Solid wood throughout, not the plastic stuff that Martin will sneak in on some models. .
I have a nice Martin J40, so I'm not GASing for the brand. I'm sincerely looking for the best solid small body I can find.

Your second paragraph really speaks to point about loaded-Chevy vs. bare-Cadillac. For the same price, I think I like the loaded model (i.e. binding, ebony, etc..)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Number8, I'm not sure you've stated yet what style you want to play on the guitar. If I was going instrumental fingerstyle, I'd lean toward the Larrivee. For some strumming and some folk fingerstyle, I'd lean toward the Martin.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Your second paragraph really speaks to point about loaded-Chevy vs. bare-Cadillac. For the same price, I think I like the loaded model (i.e. binding, ebony, etc..)
If you like Chevy's id also check out Halcyon, I cant give a personal recommendation but lots of members swear by them. They are right on your price point. With shapes you like. http://www.tinkerguitars.com/halcyon.htm

I should have also pointed out that Larrivee's use a UV finish(poly I think) that doesn't age like Nitro/lacquer. Which is good or bad depending on what you want your guitar to look like in 20 years. Its the same as Taylor's finish basically. I have mixed feelings about it, because I like the way old guitars fade/wear with lacquer. P-03 are satin and can be buffed to a shine if you desire.

It would be hard to find a bad review on a Larrivee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
00 size, 000, martin, parlor, taylor