The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Which recording package ?

I would like to fool around with some recording on my laptop. Was wondering if the PreSonus Audio Box would be a decent package. I just want to buy one time. I am not a professional nor expect to be . Just want something good enough that I wont want to upgrade. Please comment on what you like.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

I have a Presonus Audioox USB and the full Studio One. I don't use either one. The Audiobox worked well IMO. It was worth the 70 bucks I spent. I use older MIDI hardware and Studio One wasn't a good fit for my gear. The basic SONAR made it much easier to map my MIDI devices. And I still use that for MIDI.

If you don't do MIDI or use soft synths, either one is fine.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Well, I finally was forced to buy some "real" recording equipment as my usb mic died. Being on a very strict $300 or less for everything (cables, stands, mics, interface - the only thing I already had was a pair of headphones) budget I went with an audiobox usb and the $70 mxl 990/991 mic pair.

The Audiobox is great for me (I'm new to recording so maybe I just don't know any better, but I'd like to keep it that way, it'll be cheaper). I can plug my electric guitar right in and jam to backing tracks. Or I can use the mics and record myself (accurately! gasp!). Since my only recording goals are to gauge my progress (for now) and (much MUCH later) post youtube videos), it's perfect for that. And it's teeny enough to be more or less portable! -I say more or less, because with mics/stands/cables that does become an awful lot of stuff and it would probably drain a laptop battery very quickly.

Now depending on what exactly you're doing you can possibly go cheaper than the Audiobox (assuming money is an issue). For example are you going to record using a direct line input? If so you only need a single input device. Likewise if you only plan on using one mic, unless you are planning on eventually using two microphones. Are you looking at a bundle package? Or are you planning on starting with the box and buying piece by piece? Do you already have some of what you need? If it's a bundle make sure to read reviews on the individual products (sometimes those mics get some scary sounding reviews when sold individually).

so tldr; Yes, it'll probably do just fine for what you want. Just read a bunch of reviews (and if there aren't a lot of reviews beware!) so you know what you're getting into, and dig up as much info as possible so you know what you want/need.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Dorable's questions are on the mark. Tell us more about what you have and what you want to do.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks doable , that's just what I intend to do is record some YouTube videos and check progress. I will need the USB budle because I have none of the equipment. I don't want anything too cheap so I figure 300 to 400 range is where I will stay. I just thought I would check here to see if there was a preferred kit
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 AM

How about an update? How did it all work out and where are you ATM?
Berny
Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 AM

If you want longevity, go for a box that offers computer-free os-unspecific recording. Like the babyface which now works for computer, ipad or standalone (via digital link).
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM

You didn't answer about your mic plans: one or two or just direct input (note-direct input isn't really recommended for getting the best sound possible).

And, I don't know if it was just people being snobs, but when I was researching for a decent recording set up a lot of folks were saying to stay away from the "kit/bundle" buys because you can usually find better quality stuff purchasing individually (especially if you watch musiciansfriend/guitarcenter/wherever like a hawk for sales).
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 AM

I don't know how many mic's. Maybe two. Thanks for your comments also
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Well this is what I ended up with. M-Audio MobilePre with protools se. M-Audio AV-40 monitor speakers. and AKG perception 220 mic. condensed with case. I went over my budget but maybe it will be good enough. Not that I will ever get good enough to use this but its something else to keep me moving forward to playing better. I can see already that this adventure is going to test my patiience. I think I spent a little over 500 bucks. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD