The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Default #1 begins to look like a guitar!

Neck angle is set, after some trials that included taking 1/8 in off the cheeks of the neck. How and when did that head block shift?? Do I call it an 11 7/8 fret guitar now?

I'm pleased, overall. The bracing is on the ragged edge of too light, but the neck will allow me to replace the top easily if need be. Would actually be a great learning experience to hear two tops on one guitar. I'm happy. Looks better than I thought it would.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Looks great -- I love 12-fret slot-heads.

FWIW, vintage Gibsons also had a fair bit of "frettedness" variance including some fractional.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Looks great!
Keep us posted on the wrap up
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Good luck! I love these build pics. So this is your first build? How long is it taking you from start to finish?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Hard to say, Dru. It's down in the garage, so it's half an hour here, 15 min there, go upstairs, think about it, 15 more minutes to complete a task... I'm guessing 40 hours of actual work time so far, maybe 60. I have found that not being in a hurry and taking the time to really think over the next task and its ramifications has saved a huge amount of time - I've done some rework but not a lot of it. Once I have something sorted out in my head, the actual work time has proven to be relatively short. Lets not ask about how much time I've spent fretting (had to sneak that in....) over details of the build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair